How Open Are You?

This is a discussion on How Open Are You? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know everyone has different comfort levels and some of us are more private than others. Perhaps this is why I was a little shocked ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: How Open Are You?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

How Open Are You?

I know everyone has different comfort levels and some of us are more private than others. Perhaps this is why I was a little shocked when I saw a friend's post on Facebook tonight. He posted a picture of his newly acquired CCDW along with his holstered EDC (it appeared to be a .380 Ruger LCP). He had this placed on a bed spread along with some pocket change and asked something like, "What's in your pocket?"

Evidently, he's not the only one that's open about his conceal carry because there were responses made by others and they were revealing what they carry, etc.

Before any preverbal panties get in a bunch, I'm not saying that its wrong to post or broadcast to the world that you conceal carry. It just seems to be to be a little counter-productive to do so.

What are your thoughts? Are more private people like me a little too paranoid or is it naive to post such things in public like this? Of course these aren't the only two options so please take some liberties here.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is the Facebook-world we live in these days. People put EVERYTHING out there. I don't understand it at all. If the person isn't close enough to me both emotionally and geographically to show IN PERSON, then they probably don't NEED to know.
    Jaybm, msgt/ret, OD* and 7 others like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I usually only tell those that "need to know" BUT need to know changes often.

On the other hand how many responded to "What Do You Carry" ? Guilty as charged.

J

VIP Member
    I am not particularly secretive, but I am not posting on FB either. Friends and family know and a few that carry and want to talk about what gun/what holster, etc. - we talk.
    darbo, 40Bob, atctimmy and 5 others like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I only "open carry" on this forum. Everywhere else it's concealed.
    KBSR, phreddy, msgt/ret and 11 others like this.

GH
    I keep my carrying very close to the chest. If a trusted friend or relative asks I'll answer truthfully but I don't advertise the fact.
    aus71383 and BamaT like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I only "open carry" on this forum. Everywhere else it's concealed.
    My feelings exactly. Only my wife and best friend know that or when I am carrying.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

People that know me, know me. People that don't know me, don't know. I think I'll stay the course.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

How Open Are You?

I can't believe this topic made it to 8 post without someone throwing in that worn out "CANT" acronym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering the number of companies that prohibit employees from carrying, it seems counterproductive to advertise the fact one is carrying on social media.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Out here, it's rather anonymous versus Facebook which is personal and detailed. I don't have a Facebook account but I personally wouldn't broadcast it via the method, whereas here I've shared what I carry because only a few of you know where Thelma Lou lives and that I'm there on Tuesday nights for television and dinner.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Personally, men in particular, who have to talk about this and announce it to the world, have small yada yadas.

I dont do facebook. Its like telling the whole world your buisness. And mine is none of theres. My wife doesnt even know when Im carrying.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    What are your thoughts? Are more private people like me a little too paranoid or is it naive to post such things in public like this? Of course these aren't the only two options so please take some liberties here.
    "Walk softly and carry a big stick"

His choice is hardly what I would call "walking softly"
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

i agree with some of the people above. im open on this forum but pretty reserved in real life about when and how i carry.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links