150 day CCW permit in Nevada now!!

This is a discussion on 150 day CCW permit in Nevada now!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Talking to a CCW instructor this past week, and he said that it is taking now up to 150 days to get a permit issued ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 day CCW permit in Nevada now!!

Talking to a CCW instructor this past week, and he said that it is taking now up to 150 days to get a permit issued in Nevada, especially here in Clark county, even though state law says 120 days. Right now I am at 73 days since applying, so half way there, I suspect?

You know???? It took only 2 months for the FBI, and other agencies to get my Top Secret/Crypto security clearance issued to me. Course, it was 45 years ago!! But still, 150 days... I've never been in jail; not received a traffic ticket in +55 years of driving; havent beat my wife; havent shot anyone (yet); etc.!! I would like to know just where all this time is going??

Guess maybe they are waiting to see who becomes the new Clark county Sheriff?? The undersheriff vs helicopter pilot. Undersheriff isnt for CCW and pilot is, plus he wants to get away from the registering of handguns here in the county. I'd vote for him, on that point, but he's otherwise an idiot. The Undersheriff will continue the same old crap as the existing Sheriff did (his mentor). Enough of my 2 cents worth. Will just keep hoping each day I go to the mailbox.

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

I dont have my permit yet but i think the long wait that some states have is to discourage people from applying for a permit!!

I'm in kind of the same boat. The law in Utah is that the state Bureau of Criminal Identification is supposed to turn around concealed carry permit applications in 60 days or less. When I turned in my application in early September they said they were running at about a 70 day wait. I'm still waiting at this point.

From what I've heard, the problem in Utah is that the money from the permit applications ($59, $89 if you have them do the photos and fingerprints) goes into the state's general fund, rather than staying in BCI. The number of applications is rising rapidly (particularly from out of state applicants since Utah's permit is so easy to get and has reciprocity with so many states) but the amount of funding they have to process the applications remains the same. The obvious solution would be to self-fund the permitting process by letting BCI keep the application fees, but the legislature hasn't done that yet.

Write the Mayor and city council members. Attend the city council meetings and voice your concerns.
    It says it clear as day NRS 202.366
    3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application.
    A lot of times they don't even know the laws. It is up to us, to you, to bring it to there attention. If you don't then nothing happens. Does Nevada issue a temp. permit after 120days?

VIP Member
    Come on up north John... Washoe County is still a Nevada County.

Clark County now belongs to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Hmm... maybe it would have gone faster if you had waited til after you had received your clearance?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

That sucks!

Minnesota it is max by law of 30 days. So, 10 to 30 is normal. They do the same check as a permit to purchase a handgun and they normally take a week!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    That sucks!

Minnesota it is max by law of 30 days. So, 10 to 30 is normal. They do the same check as a permit to purchase a handgun and they normally take a week!
    Thats good, here in Craven county Nc it took 30 days.

Assistant Administrator
    but i think the long wait that some states have is to discourage people from applying for a permit!!
    I almost get that impression sometimes - they only do it (eventually) because they are bound to. It stinks IMO. Obstruction for sake of obstruction.

Compare that with here! In to SO - fill out paperwork - get NICS check done - which takes no longer than buying a gun - get photo and pay $26. Done in 30 minutes!

How is that for a contrast!. John that really sucks bigtime - but I hardly have to tell you that Are you ''shall issue'' there? If so as I am thinking, that is a total disgrace.

Hang in there - all you can do.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Write the Mayor and city council members. Attend the city council meetings and voice your concerns.
    It says it clear as day NRS 202.366
    3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application.
    A lot of times they don't even know the laws. It is up to us, to you, to bring it to there attention. If you don't then nothing happens. Does Nevada issue a temp. permit after 120days?
    I'd tread carefully, here.
    I would imagine it is possible that if they can't issue the permit within the legally specified 120 days, they may reach near that point and simply send a DENIAL. (And then like any other governmental bureaucracy, they'd tell you that you had to start all over, paying the fee all over again.)

I think it's sickening, though, when it appears that the only way to get a governmental agency to obey the LAW is to SUE it... It should not be this way.

But if this were an instant background check for a firearm purchase, if the time limit expired, they'd have to give you an approval, right?

The department shall deny an application or revoke a
    permit if it determines that the applicant or permittee:
    (a) Has an outstanding warrant for his arrest.
    (b) Has been judicially declared incompetent or insane
    during the immediately preceding 5 years.
    (c) Has been voluntarily or involuntarily admitted to a
    mental health facility during the immediately preceding 5
    years.
    (d) Has habitually used intoxicating liquor or a
    controlled substance to the extent that his normal faculties
    are impaired. For the purposes of this paragraph, it is
    presumed that a person has so used intoxicating liquor or a
    controlled substance if he has been convicted of violating
    the provisions of NRS 484.379.
    (e) Has been convicted of a crime involving the use or
    threatened use of force or violence punishable as a
    misdemeanor under the laws of this or any other state, or a
    territory or possession of the United States at any time
    during the immediately preceding 3 years.
    (f) Has been convicted of a felony in this state or under
    the laws of any state, territory or possession of the United
    States.

NV is a shall issue state. They can't deny because its passed 120 days or 'cause you wrote your Mayor and Council members.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Well, I fear that as many people in the world have found out, a governmental agency can do whatever it wants, and then wait grinning while you try to find a lawyer and the money to take them on for having done you wrong.

Just so you know, It was less than 60 days here in Washoe County from the time I submitted to the time my premit came in the mail. That was this summer!!

My Mother was granted a temporary permit from the Sherriff (one of only 4 all year) And had hers in about 30 minutes

Chris

Thumper.... you mean Reno isnt "Clark County North"???? I know what you mean though. Clark County is just a satellite county of Kalifornia; number 53?? We get all the SoCal folks here, and Reno gets all the NoCal folks; the real Yuppies from SF and Sac-of-tomatoes!! (I use to live in Truckee, I know, ha)

Well, I dont want to rock the boat as another poster suggested here, as if you do, geez, they just lost your application, and now you gotta fork over another 230$$, cause they wouldnt except the mandatory training plus the app cost, so they just have a good ole time.

ChrisM... okay on yours only taking 60 days or so. Well, dont know how many applications they process up north compared to here, but here it is about 200 a week. That could be the reason for the backlog time, dunno. I guess, time will tell??

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    That's just Clark County. So if you live in Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City, Parhump, then you have to wait. However, those who apply for nonresident permits can apply to smaller counties, and get them faster. I got mine last May, in only 3 months. Of course, the real kick was when I looked at the permit, it was issued only days after I submitted the application. So I have no idea what was done the rest of the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links