Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington? - Page 3

Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington?

This is a discussion on Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fitch I have PA and Utah permits. I can carry in WA, not in OR. I have heard from co-workers that retired ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I have PA and Utah permits. I can carry in WA, not in OR. I have heard from co-workers that retired there from So. Cal. that parts of OR are openly hostile to CA immigrants. So don't advertise your CA origins if you move to OR.

I am retired. One of the reasons I moved from So. Cal. (Acton) to PA was to avoid income tax on my retirement income. Property taxes are high here, but everything else is less expensive than So. Cal. The winters are mild, the PA is very CCW friendly (shall issue, carry every place but schools, court houses, and federal buildings), ground hog hunting is great fun 6 months of the year, there are lots of shooting ranges, and the people are friendly.

Moving from CA, watch out for the WA/OR winters.

If you live in WA near the Oregon border and don't have both permits it will be miserable trying to stay out of trouble.

Fitch
    I think most states have a hard time excepting CA refugees! Even in Tenn. My friends had to be careful who the told that they were from CA. The first Realtor they worked with was raising the prices by at least 10%! DR
    aus71383 likes this.

come to oregon! you'll like it. i have 3 spots i can go shooting that's not a range all within 15 or 30 miles from my house, never been hastled and meet alot of friendly people. i love it here and don't plan on leaving the state ever
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Washington is actually two different "States" in their attitudes. Western WA has the influence of Seattle, and eastern WA is more rural and more friendly. I was born and raised there and still make frequent trips there. Come to Montana! (But if you do, avoid Missoula and Butte each for different reasons).
    I've spent a fair amount of time in Washington (both east and west), and I'd agree with DMan. The inland NW is separated from the Pacific NW by more than just the Cascades.

For a guy that is a libertarian at heart, I have a surprisingly high tolerance for Liberals....so I wouldn't have an issue with living in Seattle. That said, I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. For my money, I'd probably choose one of three smaller places in the WA or OR to live:

-Bellingham, WA - I spent three months living and working in Bellingham, and while it seemed to be a very left-leaning town, I thoroughly enjoyed being right on the ocean, and also enjoyed the easy access to Seattle and North into Canada.

-Spokane, WA - While some areas are rougher than others, I could definitely deal with living there.

-Portland, OR - I haven't spent a pile of time there, but when I was there I found that it offered many of the same benefits as Seattle, but without the holier than thou attitude.

By the way....I have to give an honorable mention to the Flathead and Bitterroot valleys in Montana, as well as Sandpoint, Idaho (if you can deal with being invaded by tourists every summer). The Flathead valley (specifically Kalispell and Whitefish) is one of my very favorite places on earth, and if I was looking for a place to retire, it would be near the top of my list. It's on the warm side of the continental divide, it offers a reasonable number of bigger-city ameneties while still hanging onto a reasonable amount of small-town rural common sense, and within an 8-hour drive you can find a massive variety and expanse of different terrain, vegetation, fish, and wildlife. Antelope and blue-ribbon trout on the eastern slopes...salmon, halibut, and crab in Puget sound and the Pacific...elk, blacktails, mule deer, whitetails, bears, moose - maybe even sheep or goats if you're really ambitious (and lucky). The NW has a lot to offer - from the lushness of the temperate rain forest, to the majesty of the highest peaks and glaciers, to the stark and forbidding country that you can find in some areas of the eastern slopes.

Can you tell that I'm a big fan of the Western 1/3 of our continent?
    G26Raven likes this.

I would find another state to move to than WA or Or........ Both are now left coast states and will in the future become even more Kalifornia like........

As for as reciprocity (not what the OP asked) WA will not accept my CO permit but will accept my UT non-resident permit.......... Oregon will NOT accept either one...

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    At the end of 2013 my wife and I plan to retire. We are considering either central Oregon or somewhere along the Columbia river. Washington is also a possibility. I am also a hunter so this plays into the equation as well. Would appreciate any opinions since we can go to either state. We're from California and are disillusioned with both the hunting as well as the state's attitude towards firearms. Appreciate any and all observations.
    Grew up in Washington, lived in Oregon for a number of years, then also lived in CA for about 8 years. Here's what I've found. ANYWHERE outside of CA is a great place to live. As for Washington and Oregon, the closer you get to the I-5 corridor, the more you get back to the California mindset, so I would suggest somewhere further east in either state. There are parts of Portland that you'll find are further to the left than anyplace in California, including Berkeley. But it's much more of a libertarian left mentality.

If you really want a state with good attitude towards firearms, come on further East to Arizona. Wife and I have settled here now and I love it. Gun laws? Constitutional carry. You don't even need a CCW to carry concealed in this state. It's your right since you're a citizen of the state. If you want to carry where they serve liquor, then you need a CCW. Prices of homes? The market is still undervalued, but it going up. You can buy now and get a great deal on a home. It's much less expensive than either Oregon or Washington.

Hunting not that good - but if you move to the northern part of the state, you can slip over to Colorado maybe even New Mexico where it might be better.

Honestly, Oregon and Washington are going the way California. If you don't want to come to Arizona, I suggest Idaho. It's a pretty good state as well, with much of the same landscape to offer as parts of Oregon and Washington.
    Eagleks and aus71383 like this.

First... you need to get off the west coast and into the "free world" ...... your comparing red apples, to green apples, to yellow apples..... when you need oranges.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    By the way....I have to give an honorable mention to the Flathead and Bitterroot valleys in Montana, as well as Sandpoint, Idaho (if you can deal with being invaded by tourists every summer). The Flathead valley (specifically Kalispell and Whitefish) is one of my very favorite places on earth, and if I was looking for a place to retire, it would be near the top of my list. It's on the warm side of the continental divide, it offers a reasonable number of bigger-city ameneties while still hanging onto a reasonable amount of small-town rural common sense, and within an 8-hour drive you can find a massive variety and expanse of different terrain, vegetation, fish, and wildlife. Antelope and blue-ribbon trout on the eastern slopes...salmon, halibut, and crab in Puget sound and the Pacific...elk, blacktails, mule deer, whitetails, bears, moose - maybe even sheep or goats if you're really ambitious (and lucky). The NW has a lot to offer - from the lushness of the temperate rain forest, to the majesty of the highest peaks and glaciers, to the stark and forbidding country that you can find in some areas of the eastern slopes.
    A man that knows his stuff - There is very little that gives way to Montana.

Of the trio mentioned - I would choose Spokane.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Jamsaal - would you PLEASE shut up! ;) :)

Arizona is infested with rattlesnakes and javelins, not to mention Californians. It's a horrible climate, 125 degrees in the summer and freezing in the winter (both weeks of winter).

The OP would be much better off retiring in Washington or Oregon. :)

However we are happy for you to come for a weekend and enjoy the Grand Canyon, Colorado River, Sedona and other places were you can leave us your money. :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    Jamsaal - would you PLEASE shut up! ;) :)

Arizona is infested with rattlesnakes and javelins, not to mention Californians. It's a horrible climate, 125 degrees in the summer and freezing in the winter (both weeks of winter).

The OP would be much better off retiring in Washington or Oregon. :)

However we are happy for you to come for a weekend and enjoy the Grand Canyon, Colorado River, Sedona and other places were you can leave us your money. :) :)
    Hey, the way I look at it, the more people we have in this state that carry, the quicker we rid this state of criminals.

"Avoid Seattle. Nothing personal, but the CA immigrants ruined it."

The same could be said for Portland these days.

Re: Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    "No guns" signs carry the weight of law in OR - in WA they do not. So in WA you can carry almost everywhere - hospitals, businesses, state buildings, etc...

Austin
    I've never seen any ORS that says signs carry weight here in OR. If found to be carrying you can be asked to leave a private business or put it in your car, but cannot be treapassed until you fail to comply.

Any place that gets taxpayer funding cannot restrict the carry of firearms. Which includes the Oregon Zoo, who for years thought they could but they finally admitted they cannot restrict CC. OC is still a point of contention with them.

With an OR CHL you can go anywhere, including inside schools unlike WA, except for the usual secure areas of the airport and courts ect....

A couple of thoughts from a Washingtonian.

Stay away from Spokane, Yakima, and Tacoma. Drug trade has ruined them, gang activity is high.

Oregon won't recognize anyone's permits. It's shall-issue for residents, but may issue for nonresidents. Grant County has a de facto policy of shall-issue for nonresidents though.

Both states have Preemption laws, but you gotta read the fine print. Oregon preemption only applies if you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), where Washington preemption applies to all gun related regulation. You might get 'looks' and maybe even harassment form ill-informed LEOs in Seattle, but it's legal and protected. The City of Seattle was recently sued and forced to repeal an ordinance that restricted carry in parks via our preemption statute.

Lots of great hunting in both states, so that's probably a wash.

I don't know about how it's written in OR, but here in WA you can carry in schools if you have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and are picking up or dropping off a student.

There is no training requirement for a WA CPL, go to your LEO, bring ID, let them print you, wait 10-30 days. WA is also an Open Carry state.

I live in WA, and have spent lots of time in OR. I wouldn't move to Oregon for anything, but the people I know that live there love it.
    aus71383 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Re: Which is more gun friendly - Oregon or Washington?

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    I don't know about how it's written in OR, but here in WA you can carry in schools if you have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and are picking up or dropping off a student.

No requirement in OR to be dropping off or picking up a student. Just possess a CHL. You can be there as long as needed. ie. a play or school program or what ever your there for.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    A couple of thoughts from a Washingtonian.

Stay away from Spokane, Yakima, and Tacoma. Drug trade has ruined them, gang activity is high.

Oregon won't recognize anyone's permits. It's shall-issue for residents, but may issue for nonresidents. Grant County has a de facto policy of shall-issue for nonresidents though.

Both states have Preemption laws, but you gotta read the fine print. Oregon preemption only applies if you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), where Washington preemption applies to all gun related regulation. You might get 'looks' and maybe even harassment form ill-informed LEOs in Seattle, but it's legal and protected. The City of Seattle was recently sued and forced to repeal an ordinance that restricted carry in parks via our preemption statute.

Lots of great hunting in both states, so that's probably a wash.

There is no training requirement for a WA CPL, go to your LEO, bring ID, let them print you, wait 10-30 days. WA is also an Open Carry state.

I live in WA, and have spent lots of time in OR. I wouldn't move to Oregon for anything, but the people I know that live there love it.
    Does schools include colleges and universities? I believe in Oregon you can, but I was unsure about Washington. I am applying to UW in Seattle and was unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    In central Oregon the county I live in gets 300 apps per month so I am still waiting for my appted time which is very soon
    How long have you been waiting for your permit? How long is it supposed to take?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links