Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

This is a discussion on Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are many right answers but only you can figure out the best answer. For what it is worth, many people have found their best ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array Echo_Four's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of the mostly free
    Posts
    2,620
    There are many right answers but only you can figure out the best answer. For what it is worth, many people have found their best answer is the Glock 19. I picked the same gun but in 40, the Glock 23.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array pittypat21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,485
    As big as you can carry!
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

  4. #18
    GH
    GH is offline
    VIP Member Array GH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,007
    Glock or M&P? You can't go wrong with either. As far as size - you'll have to make that decision on your own. I've carried a Glock 23, Sigma 40VE (same size as the G23) & M&P 40C, a little smaller. I'm 5'7" & about 175# & have no problems carrying all day, every day & have no problems concealing.
    Glenn

    USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Find a range that has rentals and shoot a lot of different guns before you buy one. Don't worry too much about size, features, holsters, etc. at this point. The gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry.

    If you're not willing to do that, then...Glock 19.
    Probably the soundest advice I've seen.

    I practice often with the weapon I carry (Glock 27 Gen 4).
    Somehow, shooting 5 different guns at the range while fun, doesn't seem to do much to improve my proficiency with my carry piece.

    I'm of the old school that logic should dictate your choice.

    Right now it's winter here in Indiana. OWB is a piece of cake for total concealment.
    When summer arrives, I'll be using a different holster AND changing attire which is not me (Shirt un-tucked etc...)

    The speed at which I can present a high percentage of rounds on target outweighs everything I've seen.
    I am NOT proficient with every gun. Some guns just don't fit my hands properly. I would be wasting my time trying to overcome ergonomics that just don't work for me.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

    Do what you can; then do what you must

  6. #20
    Member Array rabbit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    183
    I'm 6'1'' 200lbs I enjoy long walks on the beach and... oh wait sorry wrong area. I use a Glock 26 G4 at my 3 O'clock either in a Crossbreed Super Tuck(IWB) or a Raven Concealment Phantom (OWB). I also purchased a Uncle Mikes Ankle holster for my 26 (which is only used in special cases).

    I also own a Glock 17 G4, but have not carried it yet. I just purchased yesterday from Raven Concealment the Phantom OWB holster for it (light compatible). When that arrives I will probably be switching to my Glock 17 G4 as my EDC and home defense and use my Glock 26 as my backup gun.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

  7. #21
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,060
    Here is a new holster I got for my Glock 17:
    The Perfect Kydex IWB Holster
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

    Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Find a range that has rentals and shoot a lot of different guns before you buy one. Don't worry too much about size, features, holsters, etc. at this point. The gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry.

    If you're not willing to do that, then...Glock 19.
    Basic agreement with this comment except for "the gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry" is partly the truth. I would add to"the gun you shoot best", "the gun that feels the best in terms of size and weight that you feel comfortable carrying" and I would leave out the last comment that presupposes, even with a smile, that you should purchase a Glock 19---no one can really tell you what to buy--itis very personal as to grip, fit, size, weight and recoil, where caliber vs recoil will enter your decision. Definitely seek out a gun shop that really has the personnel to assist you in a very professional manner--very easy to "like" a firearm and then "unlike it" compared to something else---same goes for holsters.

  9. #23
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,060
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Basic agreement with this comment except for "the gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry" is partly the truth. I would add to"the gun you shoot best", "the gun that feels the best in terms of size and weight that you feel comfortable carrying" and I would leave out the last comment that presupposes, even with a smile, that you should purchase a Glock 19---no one can really tell you what to buy--itis very personal as to grip, fit, size, weight and recoil, where caliber vs recoil will enter your decision. Definitely seek out a gun shop that really has the personnel to assist you in a very professional manner--very easy to "like" a firearm and then "unlike it" compared to something else---same goes for holsters.
    I never smile when I recommend the Glock 19, nor do I consider that kid behind the counter trying to make a sale a "professional".
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

    Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array DocT65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    Find a range that has rentals and shoot a lot of different guns before you buy one. Don't worry too much about size, features, holsters, etc. at this point. The gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry.

    If you're not willing to do that, then...Glock 19.
    ^^^^ I agree 100%. Would only add that if you are new to carrying/owning a handgun, immediately seek a NRA-approved gun safety course to help you make this transition easier and safer.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

    NRA Patron Member

  11. #25
    Member Array wondering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    278
    Canis-

    I'm in the same boat as you but my situation is complicated by the fact that I'm a lefty. I am currently looking at a Glock 26 or S&W M&P 9 compact...but I've noticed that a lot of holster manufacturer's don't offer lefty holsters for the M&P.

    I initially thought that length would be the biggest factor in concealability/comfort but now feel that grip height will be the best factor for concealability (i.e. shorter grips are more concealable) my question is how much does width affect comfort? The G26 is about .15-.20 inches wider than the typical sub-compact (XDs, M&P, PPS, etc).

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    Canis-

    I'm in the same boat as you but my situation is complicated by the fact that I'm a lefty. I am currently looking at a Glock 26 or S&W M&P 9 compact...but I've noticed that a lot of holster manufacturer's don't offer lefty holsters for the M&P.

    I initially thought that length would be the biggest factor in concealability/comfort but now feel that grip height will be the best factor for concealability (i.e. shorter grips are more concealable) my question is how much does width affect comfort? The G26 is about .15-.20 inches wider than the typical sub-compact (XDs, M&P, PPS, etc).
    I seriously recommend that you consider how well you can grip and shoot a handgun for self defense first THEN work on finding the concealment for the gun that fits you best. The thicker grips may fit you better or the shorter grip may hinder your ability to accurately place shots. Don't start with ease of concealment. You will be able to find ways to conceal most all handguns used today for self defense.

    I'll ask you the same question, what part of NC are you located in?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  13. #27
    Member Array TE863's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    23
    I,m in the same boat as well I,ve looked at the glock26 gen 4 because every lgs has no m&p shields or SA xds45 to compare I,ve even considered waiting on SA xds in 9mm rumored to be released in march so it,s not easy and now all this gun ban crap it,s not getting any easier.

  14. #28
    Member Array wondering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    278
    NC Bullseye-

    I'm in the triangle area.

    I agree with your comment, feel of the gun while shooting is more important, but being left-handed I have to see what (if any) holsters are available. The best feeling gun is no good if I can't carry it or if my options are limited in carry so I'm trying to take that into account beforehand. The glocks are everywhere and there are tons of accessories. I've liked the ones I've handled so far I was just curious about how big a difference the extra width makes comfort-wise to those with CCW experience.

    TE863-

    I didn't know that SA was coming out with a XDs in 9mm. That is nice. I had a chance to shoot the .45 XDs this weekend and I liked the platform, but the .45 was a bit much for me to shoot comfortably over and over. I think it would be a godd design for a 9mm.

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    NC Bullseye-

    I'm in the triangle area.

    I agree with your comment, feel of the gun while shooting is more important, but being left-handed I have to see what (if any) holsters are available. The best feeling gun is no good if I can't carry it or if my options are limited in carry so I'm trying to take that into account beforehand. The glocks are everywhere and there are tons of accessories. I've liked the ones I've handled so far I was just curious about how big a difference the extra width makes comfort-wise to those with CCW experience.
    I have had outstanding results with Comp-Tac and they make great holsters that are available in left hand versions such as Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - C-TAC Holster

    As to the thickness, I've had no problems nor have any of my students that take the time to work on it concealing the slightly thicker handguns.

    Good luck on your endeavors!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

  16. #30
    Member Array wondering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    278
    Thanks for the link and the advice Bullseye! This is a great community here.

    I see you're a CCW instructor here...be careful I may hit you up with permit questions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best ccw for 2013
,

best handgun to carry for concealment

,
carry all day in comfort
,
concealed carry at indianapolis childrens muesum
,

concealed carry help

,
franklin. county mo conceal & carry questions
,

glock 17 concealed carry my findings

,
indianapolis children's museum ccw
,
indianapolis children's museum concealed carry
,

new 2013 nc concealed carry laws

,
owb holster for taurus 24/7 g2c for ccw
,
small concealed carry with summer clothes
Click on a term to search for related topics.