Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

This is a discussion on Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing to consider is what you normally wear. If you wear tight fitting clothes, or dress up a lot - and you don't want ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

One thing to consider is what you normally wear. If you wear tight fitting clothes, or dress up a lot - and you don't want to make any changes to your wardrobe, a smaller gun might be better for you.

I conceal a full size gun every day and it's no problem for me. If you want to do it - you can do it. It's easier to carry a big gun in the winter when you're wearing more clothes. In the summer when it gets hot and humid - concealing under only a t-shirt is hard for some people, so they turn to pocket carry, or very small guns. Nothing wrong with that.

Being 6' and 220# is somewhat helpful - I'm 6' 200# myself - but how you are built and the shape of your body will make a big difference in ease of concealment too. It will also drive where you can carry to be able to conceal best.

Good luck with your choice - and if it comes down to it...just get a Glock 19.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    Thanks for the link and the advice Bullseye! This is a great community here.

I see you're a CCW instructor here...be careful I may hit you up with permit questions!
    You're very welcome and yes this is one of the best groups out there. Please feel free to ask away, you can PM me any time with questions on NC concealed carry.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Basic agreement with this comment except for "the gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry" is partly the truth. I would add to"the gun you shoot best", "the gun that feels the best in terms of size and weight that you feel comfortable carrying" and I would leave out the last comment that presupposes, even with a smile, that you should purchase a Glock 19
    Sorry...I didn't intend for the smilie to make you think I wasn't serious. IMO, it's hard to go wrong with the Glock 19.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Canis View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum!

In a couple of weeks I will be taking a concealed carry class and I am going to purchase a ccw. I am not made of money and can only afford one gun at this time!

I am 6ft tall and weigh 220#
    I look forward to yall's recommendations!
    Forget the Glocks.
    Get a Sig P250 in .357 SIG or .40 S&W.

Get a good holster, do plenty of range practice.

Leather for the holster...it moves and bends with the body flexes. Some great holster makers out there. Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, Greg Kramer, and a host of others. I even built holsters at D&D Gunleather.

I can say only good things about the P250. I was one of the first gunwriters to test the pistol, and the ones I've fired have been totally reliable.

The one that fits your hand the best and you shoot well. As other posters have said go to a range that rents guns and try several and see what you like the best. Good luck with your quest.

I really appreciate all the feed-back!

It takes time and effort to sit down and type responses to what people post on internet forums.

thank again guys I read every word and will apply yall's advice in my choice.......

right now I am leaning towards a gen 4 glock 19

thanks again

I just made my decision before Christmas. Decided to get a Glock 26 gen4 for EDC. My other pistol and revolver are not suitable for EDC for me. I like the size of the subcompact. I hope to add a Glock 17 to my collection later in the year (maybe sooner than later).
    Have had a Washington CHL for 10+ years but never carried. Going to class tomorrow to get my Oregon & Utah CHL.

Thanks for some great discussions here!

Single stack vs double stack also makes a difference....in width which can be important depending on your carry method. Weight and bulk do matter.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by YeOleImposter View Post
    IGoing to class tomorrow to get my Oregon & Utah CHL.

Cabelas?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by YeOleImposter View Post
    [...] Have had a Washington CHL for 10+ years but never carried. Going to class tomorrow to get my Oregon & Utah CHL.

Thanks for some great discussions here!
    Can you get CHLs in multiple states? I guess I just assumed (always dangerous) that you had to be a resident of the state issuing the license.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links