Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

This is a discussion on Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I am new to this forum! In a couple of weeks I will be taking a concealed carry class and I am going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

Question Please Help...new to concealed carry and Have big question????

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum!

In a couple of weeks I will be taking a concealed carry class and I am going to purchase a ccw. I am not made of money and can only afford one gun at this time!

I am 6ft tall and weigh 220#

MY BIG QUESTION IS WHAT SIZE SEMI-AUTO HAND GUN SHOULD I GET???

Full size, compact, or sub-compact???? Double stack or single stack????

I have never carried a concealed hand gun ever!

I think I would like to carry a full size semi-auto IWB such as a glock 17 or M&P 9 .........for sight radius and magizine capacity! My big concern is how comfortable is this???? Does anyone carry full size guns IWS for 10 to 12 hours a day????

I understand that if a gun is not comfortable to wear and conceal you might not carry it with you all the time! My goal will be to try and have a lifestyle change and began to carry a concealed hand-gun everywhere the law allows me to!

I do not have the money to buy several different size guns and try them all to see what one I like best.
    I also realize the concealed hoslter and belt is Extremly important for comfort and carry!

I know there are people on this board who have already been through different guns, sizes, cc holsters and $$$

I would really appreciate any feed back and information from people who have been carrying concealed handguns for years and have already got it figured out as far as size of gun and what type/brand of holster!

I just want to carry as large of a gun as I can comfortably can........mouse guns and pocket pistols do not really interest me as a primary ccw. However I am scared if I by a full size double stack 9mm such as a glock 17 or M&P that I will not be able to carry it comfortably and will print the weapon to the public!

As of right now I am looking at glock 17 or 19........or American Made S&W full size M&P 9 or 9c
    maybe the M&P shiled is what I need???

Please help!

I look forward to yall's recommendations!

2. Remove Ads

Find a range that has rentals and shoot a lot of different guns before you buy one. Don't worry too much about size, features, holsters, etc. at this point. The gun you shoot the best is the gun you should carry.

If you're not willing to do that, then...Glock 19.
    AngryBadger417 likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    My Glock 19 has been 100% reliable, simple to conceal, and comfortable to carry. I also have a 17, shown in my avatar which carries easily with the right holster and the grip chopped back to 19 length. Prior to the grip chop, concealment was a bit tougher. If I were buying one gun for all day, every day carry, I would go with the 19.
    Topsider likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Only you can figure this out. I carry everything from a Glock 19 to a full size HK45. You'll have to just try them out. Number one thing-- do not get frustrated. You probably will not like concealed carry (especially IWB) at first and you'll constantly worry that people are going to make you. Stick with it-- all that goes away.

just on the compact vs full size argument in your head. A Ruger SR9c comes boxed with a 10 round clip flush fit making it a compact and a 17 round with grip extension turning it into a full capacity SR9. Not the only one that does that but they are quality handguns with a decent price. But what you choose is whatever you find that fits you best.
    MASSIVE and billstaf like this.

Might not hurt to read through this thread, as well: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

What part of NC are you in?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Hello, Canis. Definitely try to try different handguns at a range, or try different ones your friends may have. Keep in mind that the vast majority of self defense scenarios involving a gun fight occur at relatively short distances, so the barrel length becomes less of an issue. I am 6'1", 185 lbs, and carry a Taurus 709 Slim (9mm) and also a Kahr K9 (also 9mm). I looked at the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm, but they are hard to find. All three of these handguns are shorter (~3" barrels), and single stack (7 rd mags pluse on in the chamber) - which makes them very thin and easier to conceal. The 709 Slim and Shield are polymer framed, while the K9 is all stainless. I carry either the Slim or K9 all day with an IWB holster and find them very comfortable.

Since you are new to this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good instructional self defense classes in addition to your CCW class. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handguns and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructoinal information from an expert, and free.

And, best wishes for a safe, prosperous New Year to you and yours.
    Broadus likes this.

I carry a sig p250 mainly because I am comfortable with a dao and I shoot it very well. The big deal with the p250 is you can buy the compact and replace the modular grip frame for 45 bucks with the subcompact grip frame. 50 bucks for the sub compact mag. What you get is a $400 large compact gun that can be swapped to a sub compact as needed for a $100 investment.

Just my 2 cents. I am 5'11" at 175lbs. I carry the compact kit open or in the winter concealed. I carry the same slide and fire control unit with the smaller frame and mag concealed iwb in the summer or swap to the compact kit for open carry.

Go shoot as many guns as you can however carry what you are most comfortable with including carrying condition 1. I am comfortable carrying my sig or a da/sa condition 1 with no safety. I am not comfortable carrying a glock condition 1 no safety. Just my preference. Everyone has to make their own minds up.

Welcome aboard.

NC Bullseye I live in Eastern NC, Rocky Mount area!

Wow thanks for all the quick responses, keep the info comming.

I love the internet!!!

VIP Member
    So far good advise. The only thing I will add is that from my own experience, a big gun full of rounds is a PITA to carry day after day, week after week, year after year. I'd say that a Glock 19 for me, would be the biggest and heaviest gun I would carry. Now, those that know me know I usually carry a 4 1/4" 1911. I'm married to that defensive weapon dang it! I love how it handles and shoots but... I'm honestly getting tired of heavy guns and am looking for something smaller and lighter to replace my daily carry.

JMHO, Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Canis View Post
    NC Bullseye I live in Eastern NC, Rocky Mount area!

Wow thanks for all the quick responses, keep the info comming.

I love the internet!!!
    Well I was hoping you were over here in the not totally flat section around Hickory and we could get you behind a few choices to see what you felt most comfortable with. The biggest thing is to go to a range that offers several different guns to try, while one may be the ultimate for many people others may find the very same gun unusable for self defense. I'm a long time believer and user of the G19 and have had many students also go this route but others found a different comfort level with other brands and sizes.

Take your time and find some local get togethers of other gun enthusiasts and many times you can shoot a wide variety of guns if you supply the ammo.

Before you take your CHP class make sure that any questions you want to ask are written down. The class can get pretty busy and often students forget what they have been wanting to know on specifics of the law.

Good luck and stay safe!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links