City Municipal Employee

City Municipal Employee

This is a discussion on City Municipal Employee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a full time employee for a City Municipality in Texas. Can I carry here at my work? No 30.06 signs are posted and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NMB

Thread: City Municipal Employee

City Municipal Employee

I am a full time employee for a City Municipality in Texas. Can I carry here at my work? No 30.06 signs are posted and they do not have a weapons policy. I also drive a City vehicle daily. Please give me your thoughts. Tks!

VIP Member
    Absent a sign or policy, what is to wonder?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

NMB
    I too am a Muni employee over here in New Mexico.

No signs posted at city hall, nothing in the employee rule book I was told to read and sign off on.

I dont ask and they dont know.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Absent a sign or policy, what is to wonder?
    My point also. You should have learned that during your CCW class. No sign, no policy? No problem!

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Just wanted to be sure about the Govt facility part of the law. I would assumed I just need to stay out of the courthouse here in which I have to visit on occasion. I do appreciate everyones comments.

In the absence of signage or a written policy (make sure you check that one out), you should be OK to carry as stipulated on your permit. You mentioned you were a municipal employee.....remember that if your duties take you to a City Hall, Courthouse, school or Police facility, many jurisdictions prohibit weapons in these areas. If you are caught carrying in these buildings/properties, you could have big problems other than just your job.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    JMO, but as long as your job isn't in one of the mentioned locations, you should be good to go. IANAL

On premises of a correctional facility

On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,

On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.

Racetrack; secured area of an airport

In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Here you go: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf

Hire an attorney if you need legal advice.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My point, too many gray areas for me to feel comfortable to carry. My office "workspace" is owned by the City, (Govt entity) and so is my City work truck (Govt entity). But none are "utilized by the court". I guess Im just scared to death to carry not knowing 100% clearly in black and white so I can back up my fight if something were to arise. Again, thanks for the opinions and comments. Please continue with your input or if there is a known court case on this subject. Much appreciated!

Links