I have a question for gutless people - Page 3

I have a question for gutless people

This is a discussion on I have a question for gutless people within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Topsider But, the whole point of carrying in condition 1 is that all you have to do to fire is click off ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: I have a question for gutless people

Quote Originally Posted by Topsider View Post
    But, the whole point of carrying in condition 1 is that all you have to do to fire is click off the safety. That requires a round in the chamber.
    Yes, obviously, in order for a gun to be "cocked and locked" there needs to be a round in the chamber. But the opposite of cocked and locked is hammer down, safety off. There can still be a round in the chamber when a gun is NOT cocked and locked.

EDIT: Take a look at that link you posted. Condition one is cocked and locked. Condition two is NOT cocked and locked. But LOOK! There's a round in the chamber.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Ahh. So when a gun is holstered AIWB, the gun can "accidentally" go off while the trigger guard is covered? Explain that to me. Are you worried about an accident when unholstering while carrying AIWB? Because I think we all know that accidents happen when unholstering from a 3:00/9:00 position as well, regardless of how clever and careful one perceives oneself to be.
    I have experienced an AD while re-holstering, so I know I am capable of mistakes. Fortunately for me, it happened at the 3:00 position. Clever enough?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have experienced a ND while re-holstering, so I know I am capable of mistakes. Fortunately for me, it happened at the 3:00 position. Clever enough?
    Fixed it for you.

So curious enough, your way isn't all that safe either. Seems like we shouldn't carry at all, since we could "accidentally" discharge our weapons when holstering/reholstering and shoot ourselves.
    Betty likes this.

"Cocked and locked" makes no mention of a round being chambered
    Yes, obviously, in order for a gun to be "cocked and locked" there needs to be a round in the chamber.
    These two statements are incongruous.

EDIT: Take a look at that link you posted. Condition one is cocked and locked. Condition two is NOT cocked and locked. But LOOK! There's a round in the chamber.
    Sorry, you've lost me. What was the point you were trying to make, again...?
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Fixed it for you.

So curious enough, your way isn't all that safe either. Seems like we shouldn't carry at all, since we could "accidentally" discharge our weapons when holstering/reholstering and shoot ourselves.
    AD and ND both pay exactly the same, so whatever makes you happy. I don't care whether or how you carry, but have explained why I do what I do.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Then, these two statements are incongruous.

Sorry, you've lost me. What was the point you were trying to make, again...?
    They are not incongruous. I said the phrase "Cocked and locked" doesn't make mention of the round being chambered. The point of which being that the opposite of "cocked and locked" wouldn't have anything to do with a chambered round. If the phrase was "chambered, cocked, and locked", then the opposite would indeed mean that there is no round in the chamber, but that's not the phrase. Therefore, the opposite of "cocked and locked" doesn't refer at all to a chambered round. The opposite of cocked and locked is condition 2. Hammer NOT cocked, safety NOT locked, but still a round in the chamber.

If you can't divulge my point from that, then there's nothing more I could say.

AD and ND both pay exactly the same, so whatever makes you happy. I don't care whether or how you carry, but have explained why I do what I do.
    Sure, but it changes where the fault lies. AD: fault lies with the gun. ND: fault lies with the operator.

I said the phrase "Cocked and locked" doesn't make mention of the round being chambered.
    Then your definition of "cocked and locked" is different from everyone else's.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Sure, but it changes where the fault lies. AD: fault lies with the gun. ND: fault lies with the operator.
    100% operator-induced, no doubt about it. Happy yet?
    William T. Sherman

Actually, no. People are negligent, and negligence cause accidents. To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. If it were the gun's fault, it would be called a malfunction.

100% operator-induced, no doubt about it. Happy yet?
    Yup With you anyway. Haven't finished with Topsider yet, though.

Then your definition of "cocked and locked" is different from everyone else's.
    No, my definition is the same. Condition one refers to a round in the chamber, with the hammer cocked, and the safety on. This condition is commonly referred to as "cocked and locked". Of course the round is chambered, that goes without saying. Like I said, that's why it's not called "chambered, cocked, and locked". But the actual phrase of "cocked and locked" doesn't refer to the round being chambered - which isn't important unless you're trying to discern the meaning of the opposite of "cocked and locked" in which case the opposite only refers to the hammer (cocked) and the safety (locked). A weapon in condition 2 (round in chamber, hammer down) would be the opposite of "cocked and locked" - and there's still a round in the chamber.

Actually, no. People are negligent, and negligence cause accidents. To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. If it were the gun's fault, it would be called a malfunction.
    Fingers don't accidentally find their way to the trigger.

Haven't finished with Topsider yet, though.
    But I'm finished with you. G'night, folks.

VIP Member
    Fingers don't accidentally find their way to the trigger.
    Still pays exactly the same.
    William T. Sherman

Still pays exactly the same.
    So do a homicide and a suicide.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links