shoulder surgery

This is a discussion on shoulder surgery within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be getting rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in February. After I get the surgery I am required to wear a sling ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: shoulder surgery

New Member Array blackbirdesign's Avatar

shoulder surgery

I will be getting rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in February. After I get the surgery I am required to wear a sling for a little over a month. I'm right hand dominant so that means I will be unable to carry how I normally carry. Has anyone here been unable to carry normally because of surgery? And if so, what else did you do to prepare yourself? Other than carrying on the opposite side, was there anything else that you had to get used to?

2. Remove Ads

You'll be doing a lot of stuff with your left hand for a month or so, it sounds like.

Might be a good idea to spend some time at the range doing weak-hand drills. If I had to switch carry sides for a month, I'd probably just use my Remora turned the other way.
    balin likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Due to a shoulder problems since last summer I have been unable to lift my handguns from my holster. I can reach but not lift. I considered a cross draw holster, but, settled on getting an IWB left hand holster for each my LC9 and 1911. I can shoot nearly as well left handed provided I concentrate a little. I am right eyed tho, so that presents a little bit of a challenge.

Practice as much as you can. You can make it a fun thing!

I hope your surgery and recovery goes better than mine. I developed frozen shoulder 4 weeks postop despite faithful therapy sessions, and ended up with a second OR trip and prolonged recovery....almost 6 months.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Modify the sling to carry the pistol? Then it would be readily at hand. Even if you have to carry a smaller pistol such as an LCP.
    aus71383 likes this.

Bummer. I hope you have good results with the surgery.

Austin

I've had both shoulders operated on in recent years and my recovery was so fast it would have only meant a week or so of not carrying if I had been carrying at the time. Unless you have serious damage to tendons that require reattachment you should be back to shooting in no time. Still, I'd take this opportunity to practice a bit with the other hand, shoot "cross-eyed" and be ready to shoot with the non-damaged arm for a week or two.

Funny here I am typing one handed. I too had right shoulder surgery for torn tendon and scrapping of the build up. I am still in a sling after almost a month now. The PT tells me that therapy will last for 3 months{ouch}. Anyway, I can carry with either side and that is the main reason for a Remora 6ART holster. Thank goodness I write/eat left hand but do most everything else right handed.
    So what I guess I am trying to say ," follow the PT's advice and do not use you right arm. My Doctor told me that the tendons are screwed down and it will take about 50lbs. to tear the tendons loose again. " "I know I will not go through this again.... what a pain in the A@#$ especially whens PT starts bending your arm. I think I am ready to back hand that guy. LOL

Wish you a fast recovery.l
    JBPDXOR
    Cougar 8000 9mm
    S&W 586 4" 357
    Winchester Defender 12g

i have had a couple shoulder surgeries. plan on 1-3 months using your week hand. i spend 10% of my time training weak hand just in case. a j frame can be hidden in the sling fairly easily.

I hope it goes smoothly for you. Complications and recovery times are very hard to predict. I had a torn labrum repaired on my strong side in April of this year. I was in sling for a month. It then froze and I had a second surgery three months to the day after the first. My recovery is not going well. I just shot for the first time with my strong side at the range last weekend. I met my surgeon two days ago and it looks like I might have to go back for a third surgery to move my bicep to a different location as it's chronically inflamed and painful. I've been going to rehab at least once a week since April and have done my exercises faithfully every day. Sometimes our bodies just don't want to cooperate. The bright side of all this my single arm weak side accuracy is much better than it's ever been. I now have holsters for both sides and in some ways I feel like when it all finally gets truly healed I'll actually be much better of than I was before.

Best of luck to you. Most don't go the way mine has....

Oh yeah. Eating, pulling your pants up, cinching your belt, washing your hair and your opposite side underarm are challenging. You'll want some kind of scrub brush for getting all those hard to reach places for a bit! The other unexpected consequence was how much extra work my wife had to do that I normally took care of. She was great about it so I'm taking her to Paris this summer as a thank you for putting up with my lameness all this time....
    blackbirdesign likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBPDXOR View Post
    Funny here I am typing one handed. I too had right shoulder surgery for torn tendon and scrapping of the build up. I am still in a sling after almost a month now. The PT tells me that therapy will last for 3 months{ouch}. Anyway, I can carry with either side and that is the main reason for a Remora 6ART holster. Thank goodness I write/eat left hand but do most everything else right handed.
    So what I guess I am trying to say ," follow the PT's advice and do not use you right arm. My Doctor told me that the tendons are screwed down and it will take about 50lbs. to tear the tendons loose again. " "I know I will not go through this again.... what a pain in the A@#$ especially whens PT starts bending your arm. I think I am ready to back hand that guy. LOL

Wish you a fast recovery.l
    This one is so familiar. In my surgery, the surgeon said "they had to reattach some things that had been cut through," (I had a bone spur on my shoulder that severed something), and it was 6 months before he would let me pick up a golf club, much less swing it.

Just do what your therapist and your doctor direct and you will probably be fine.

Anyone else have that torture machine that raised and lowered your arm? 10 minutes on that machine every hour for the first 3 days, PT every day for the next month, went to PT 3 times a week for the next 3 months.

The only good thing is that I shoot left-handed, so shooting was never a problem.

BTW - my doctor gave me some video of my surgery. You know your shoulder looks really weird from the inside. Doesn't even look like a shoulder.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

New Member Array blackbirdesign's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foamx View Post
    I hope it goes smoothly for you. Complications and recovery times are very hard to predict. I had a torn labrum repaired on my strong side in April of this year. I was in sling for a month. It then froze and I had a second surgery three months to the day after the first. My recovery is not going well. I just shot for the first time with my strong side at the range last weekend. I met my surgeon two days ago and it looks like I might have to go back for a third surgery to move my bicep to a different location as it's chronically inflamed and painful. I've been going to rehab at least once a week since April and have done my exercises faithfully every day. Sometimes our bodies just don't want to cooperate. The bright side of all this my single arm weak side accuracy is much better than it's ever been. I now have holsters for both sides and in some ways I feel like when it all finally gets truly healed I'll actually be much better of than I was before.

Best of luck to you. Most don't go the way mine has....

Oh yeah. Eating, pulling your pants up, cinching your belt, washing your hair and your opposite side underarm are challenging. You'll want some kind of scrub brush for getting all those hard to reach places for a bit! The other unexpected consequence was how much extra work my wife had to do that I normally took care of. She was great about it so I'm taking her to Paris this summer as a thank you for putting up with my lameness all this time....
    Thank you. I also have a torn labrum that is getting repaired. Not looking forward to the recovering process. I can only pray that I recover quickly and that my situation does not turn out like yours. Unfortunately I live alone, so doing all those things will be a little tough at first. I have purchased a left handed holster that I will wear while in the sling. I plan on caring my M&P 9c while recovering. Its small and i think I should be able to handle it very well with my weak side.

The sling you guys are referring to is probably what is generically referred to as an Ultrasling. At my prior job the brand we used was- no kidding- a Gunslinger Brace. You can easily put a small toy inside of the sling. I don't wish shoulder surgery on noooobody. It sucks.
    At one with the gun.

GH
    I advise practicing a lot with your left hand while waiting for your surgery & not just drawing/shooting. I mean everything. I'm blessed with being somewhat ambidextrous. There are things that I do left handed automatically. Writing is not one of them.

Good luck to you!
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I have been recovering from rotator cuff surgery for 2 YEARS. first the RC surgery caused some clunking (like a tie rod end, loose) in my shoulder, which caused pain. They elected to go in and "scope it" to see what was wrong... decided to sever the long biceps tendon... "after all, Farvre of GB packers had it done." Now, I have some very interesting "Twangs" like a rubber band, that cause pain.

The only fortunate thing is that it's my left shoulder... and I'm right handed.

Best wishes and prayers to the OP.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links