First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive) - Page 2

First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive)

This is a discussion on First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A TEXAS DPS officer pulled me over because a tie-down strap on my utility trailer was dragging behind. I gave him my CHL and informed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive)

A TEXAS DPS officer pulled me over because a tie-down strap on my utility trailer was dragging behind. I gave him my CHL and informed him I was carrying, but he paid no attention at all. All he was interested in was getting the strap secured, and asking about the hog traps I was hauling. A very nice guy, but I thought he'd never cut me loose. If you're stopped by a TDPS officer that's an avid hunter, expect a long stop.

20 years of truckin I was told many times by officers that my professionalism and demeanor contributed to the stop being a pleasant one for both of us . No moving violations or chargeable accidents in 2 1/2 million miles of driving hauling specialized and oversize ............... Yes , I am proud of that record .
    Buckj, ccman, babarock and 1 others like this.

A few years after I let my 1996 CHL expire, I rolled through a residential stop sign at about 5 MPH while trying to find an address to pick up my son from a friend's house. There was no one around, no moving cars in sight. I saw the stop sign but just didn't stop.

Out of nowhere an officer flashed his lights and pulled me over. I immediately went to the curb. Not having my valid CHL anymore, I just gave him my DL and he went back to run it. A couple minutes later he came back and said "why didn't you tell me you had a Texas concealed handgun license?" My first thought was "I'm in trouble now!" - but politely told him it has expired a few years before. Apparently the fact that I had one still showed up on his screen... he just said "well, you should have told me, I consider you one of us". He handed me my DL, said have a good day, and walked away. I sort of leaned out of the window so he could hear me say "thank you officer!". I appreciated the respect, and it was mutual.

TC...that's exactly what a buddy of mine whose a County Deputy told me last week. In my state tou don't have to show or advise, but he says that when the license is run, it'll show tou have a CHL. But they really appreciate knowing when you roll down the window...so, yeah, I think always be ready to disclose right outta the gate.

Most excellent John !! God Bless Texas

Good to hear positive interactions. Thanks for sharing. I haven't been pulled over in years (knock on wood). But I've made the decision I will inform even though I'm not in a "must inform" state. Here (Missouri) they actually know as soon as they run your plates. However, Since becoming a CCW permit holder and spending more time learning about what LEO's have to deal with and risks every time they make a stop. I can understand they just want to go home at the end of the day just like you or I. I feel informing shows respect of the risks they face and most the time from what I generally hear officers do appreciate it. I feel being afraid of the tiny chance you may meet an officer that reacts like the one in the infamous "Ohio incident" is no different then the anti's labeling us all as ready to start shooting people at the drop of a hat. Sure there are bad apples in every batch but we don't like being associated with the small percentage of CCW holders who have used their firearms ilegally any more than I'm sure LEO's like being associated to all be like the officer in Ohio that reacted the way he did.

In one sentence: "Professionalism goes both ways"
    We both want to go home after the stop.

Good to hear a positive LEO interactive incident. Lately I have been seeing too many "I know my rights citizens" with their cameras rolling during interaction with LEO looking for a "fight". Saw one this morning, a small town close to here, guy was taking video of a stop of another guy, about 12 minutes. During the vid, the guy says "don't give them consent man"....about 2 minutes later, he says "see I told you not to consent, now your in handcuffs"....he goes on filming says "I hope he comes over here...he don't have the balls". Turns out the cop does approach then the typical happens, LEO-"show me your ID", citizen-"I'm on private property, I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have to show you my ID"...blah, blah...guys gets arrested for resisting arrest. Now, the cop was wrong for this much action, was reprimanded by his supervisor, and almost all the commens on the dudes YT page were along the lines of "WTG, stand up for our rights", "F'ing pigs deserve it!", "cops are going too far"...blah , blah...I understand the there are some bad LEO's out there, but there are way more good ones......you just don't hear about them much....off my soapbox.

DISCLAIMER, I am not A LEO, nor do I have any relatives or friends that are.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

I bet the officer feels a little more safe when he knows what he is dealing with than not. Being a permitted conceal I am sure makes the officer feel better since there is no unknown in the stop he has made. Maybe some LEO's here can speak more on this issue and help us all out?

Here in Montana during hunting season pretty much everyone is carrying if they are in a pickup. This is an OPEN CARRY state and you are allowed to carry openly even while driving. Our Highway Patrol sound like the ones in Texas, they are use to the legal carrying of weapons. I still remember a few guys walking into a McDonalds with their side arms on....no one even thought of anything out of the ordinary and I was in large city. Makes one feel good sometimes.

Those of us on the ambulances appreciate an FYI as well. Whether you are a good Samaritan helping out on scene or one of my patients, it is a huge benefit to know. If you are a helpful bystander I will absolutely use you as scene security (I've been shot at directly twice on the job). Just a disclaimer "scene security" will most likely mean standing off to the side watching our backs, I absolutely will NOT ask you to draw unless it is an active shooter situation. If you are the patient it helps me to be aware of it so that I don't cause damage to it in my assessment/treatment, AND so that an overeager/anxious/terrified rookie doesn't come at your head with an oxygen tank when it is discovered.

However, it regards to your OP, props to you and the LEO. Those guys are my guardian angels at work and any positive interaction they have with a courteous member of the public (such as yourself) is a load of stress off their backs and a service to them.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Gotta love Texas went severalyears without a ticket and overbought a corvette well been pulled over a couple time and handed Chl drivers license and insurance and every time was extremely respectful one of the time the officer asked where and what I was carrying and said just leave it there one ticket out of three stops
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Cool. I've found as I've gotten older, pull as far as possible to the side, interior lights on, engine/radio off, hands on top of wheel I seem to get warnings, not tickets. Go figure.

Always remember, 9 you're fine, 10 you're mine.
    I do just like you said. In my experience as well, it seems to work.
    One time I was pulled over by a Palm Beach County sheriff's deputy, around 3 a.m., in an area of town near a Walmart (I had just come from there) that borders a few not-so-great areas.

The deputy who approached my car took a couple of minutes to do so, and in that time I shut off my car, turned on the overhead light, and put my hands on the steering wheel. The reason he stopped me was kind of bogus he claimed that I have pulled out in front of him leaving the Walmart parking lot and made him have to slam on his brakes. It was actually completely not true. However, he let me off without even so much as a written warning, and as he turned to go back to his cruiser, he told me, "Thank you for having your hands on the steering wheel when I approached you." I was flabbergasted. Yes, he actually said that, in those exact words or nearly those. I don't remember what exactly I said after that but it had something to do with understanding that he's out doing a dangerous job late at night.

What, if I may ask, do you mean by that 9 or 10 thing?

VIP Member
    9 you're fine 10 you're mine is something that some LEOs use to determine who they should stop. If you're 9 over you're fine but at 10 over you're getting stopped.

Depends on the circumstances as far as I'm concerned. If you're 5 over in a school zone (a legit one) I'll stop you. If you're on an empty highway in the middle of the night I'll be more than generous.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for explaining.

I have never had a problem with Highway patrol or State Troopers, Its usually the town cops who have ever had me at gun point while I was being stopped or had me wait an hour because they are stopping people with no ticket books or standing behind my vehicle for 15 minutes trying to figure out what to cite me for.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links