First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive)

This is a discussion on First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight I got pulled over doing 70 in a 60. I must have missed the speed limit change (I had my cruise control set on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive)

First time pulled over as a CHL (Very Positive)

Tonight I got pulled over doing 70 in a 60. I must have missed the speed limit change (I had my cruise control set on 70 exactly). By the time his lights came on, the speed limit was back to 70 (one of those half mile long speed traps). I was slightly confused, until the officer later explained, but did not contest his word at all.

As he approached my window I already had my drivers license and CHL out with my hands planted in plain view on the steering wheel.

(I would have waited until I had informed the officer to go for my wallet, so as not to appear to be going for a weapon, but I had previously removed my wallet from my back pocket and had placed it in the console. It was in plain sight to begin with, so I felt comfortable going ahead and retrieving my licenses.)

Officer: "Good evening, sir. I'm with the Texas Highway Patrol. I stopped you for going a little fast back there."
    Me: "Good evening, Officer. I understand. I need to inform you that I am a CHL holder and I am carrying" (as I hand him my licenses).
    Officer: "Thank you, sir. I will be right back with your warning."

He hands me back my CHL after taking one short look at it, and I am on my way in under 3 minutes.

I don't think that could have gone any better for me. The officer was very courteous and didn't seem to even flinch when I informed him I was carrying.

Surprisingly, I grinned the whole way home. Something that could have ruined my night turned out to be a very rewarding and informative experience for me. I have always heard that officers sometimes cut CHL holders a break, and tonight that was indeed the case.

And I'll be sure to watch out for that speed limit change in the future.

Note: Mod's please move this topic if it is in the wrong section, you won't hurt my feelings.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by john.shewchuk View Post
    The officer was very courteous and didn't seem to even flinch when I informed him I was carrying.
    Well, you are in TX after all!
    Spade115, aus71383 and mr.stuart like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

In Tx every vehicle can have a legally concealed firearm without a permit just as long as the Person can lawfully own it.They don't even need to inform just CHL license holders.Most of them are Law Abiding Citizens and not a threat,In States that are overly restrictive even the mention of a legally carried gun can get you sprawled out on the ground,by an LEO that has a feeling only Cops should be Armed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great example of what to do when pulled over.

I see people all the time with an attitude when a highway patrolman pulls them over.

These guys have a job to do.

My experience is exactly like yours..... A warning, no ticket.

I think the cops appreciate this approach
    akav8er likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    On those (ahem) rare instances where I have the opportunity to converse with Leos, they've always been polite, the Hwy Patrol exceeding so. I imagine most are that way until you get on their bad side.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Not sure what members expect. Get the feeling that the "negative" friction among us get the "grease" of replies. It is the old story: Dog bites man is not news, but when man bites dog--------. Also for news junkies--"if it bleeds it leads"--the story is only good if it goes against common sense and courteous behavior. BTW--You would have had a better albeit boring story to tell if you had been more observant and never sped in the first place.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We can't all live in Utopia, can we?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool. I've found as I've gotten older, pull as far as possible to the side, interior lights on, engine/radio off, hands on top of wheel I seem to get warnings, not tickets. Go figure.

Always remember, 9 you're fine, 10 you're mine.
    grouse and replicant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Great example of what to do when pulled over.

I see people all the time with an attitude when a highway patrolman pulls them over.

These guys have a job to do.

My experience is exactly like yours..... A warning, no ticket.

I think the cops appreciate this approach
    ^^^ Agree with you 110%.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I haven't been stopped yet I just might go out and speed tonight to see if it works for me I have thought better of it I just might get a ticket .
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    That's the way a stop should go.
    grouse likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Cool. I've found as I've gotten older, pull as far as possible to the side, interior lights on, engine/radio off, hands on top of wheel I seem to get warnings, not tickets. Go figure.

Always remember, 9 you're fine, 10 you're mine.
    Couple of other pointers. As the flashing lights go on do not hit the brakes. This will cause LEO to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting you in the rear. Not happy. Maintain speed and turn on interior lights and place your right hand up acknowledging that you see the Leo, they will slow down and they will be happier. Happier Leo less chance of a ticket.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

i'm 50% on warnings vs tickets with CHL.

guess it just depends who you get...and how fast you were going.

Quote Originally Posted by john.shewchuk View Post
    I don't think that could have gone any better for me. The officer was very courteous and didn't seem to even flinch when I informed him I was carrying.
    Texas State Troopers tend to be both well educated and well trained.
    Spade115 likes this.

Copperas Cove?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links