Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

This is a discussion on Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jambie The answer is "Yes" in Ohio. Cheers, Tom I think this could be a reference to Officer Harlass: Daniel Harless fired ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post
    The answer is "Yes" in Ohio.

Cheers,
    Tom
    I think this could be a reference to Officer Harlass:Daniel Harless fired from Canton police force - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

Update: Fired Canton officer Daniel Harless wins back his job - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

In MI, you are required to notify an officer when you are armed if you have a CPL. State appeales court decided handing the officer your CPL does not constitute "notification". 45 seconds is not "immediate".

Shouldn't there be a law requiring non-CPL holders to notify, "I'm sorry officer, but I do not have a CPL, and have made your job harder by not being able to defend myself."?

2. Remove Ads

In FL. We are not required to tell officer unless they ask.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Cal365 View Post
    In FL. We are not required to tell officer unless they ask.
    Very true but I wouldn't let him know nor show my license if I was not carrying which is not very often.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

OldVet, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

No. Not here in Missouri. However, if you are in your vehicle .... LEO's know as soon as they run your plates if you have a CCW permit.

Re: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

The answer is "Yes" in Ohio.

Cheers,
    Tom
    The answer is "NO" in Ohio. But you should anyway as courtesy to the LEO because your driver's license is attached to your CHL. When the officer makes his/her second approach to your vehicle, they will already know.

I have informed before and let the officer know that there where no weapons in the car.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Actually, yes. I got my CC permit quite a while ago, and they may have changed the statute, for the better, since that time. But in the original legislation, your CCW permit was tied to your driver's license. So, whether you were carrying or not, you were duty bound, at the time, to notify the LEO that you had such permit. If not, he, or she, would find out as soon as they ran your license, and could cite you for failure to notify.

Evidently, I have not kept up on that part of the law, so perhaps I'm demonstrating my ignorance. But why not advise? Just hand the LEO both licenses, and cover all your bases. What if you've forgotten about the pistol you had concealed in the center console? Better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Im not trying to be a smart azz but if someone can't rember where all there guns are they should not be carrying.

Actually, yes. I got my CC permit quite a while ago, and they may have changed the statute, for the better, since that time. But in the original legislation, your CCW permit was tied to your driver's license. So, whether you were carrying or not, you were duty bound, at the time, to notify the LEO that you had such permit. If not, he, or she, would find out as soon as they ran your license, and could cite you for failure to notify.
    While it is true that your CHL status pops up when a LEO runs your info in LEADS, at no time since concealed carry became legal in Ohio in 2004 has the law required you to notify if unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I live in Florida and I am not required to tell unless the LEO should ask. I was stopped in the past where the officer asked if I had any illegal drugs are weapons in the car and I stated no. I waited until after he ran my DL and I then told him, Officer I need to qualify my answer about no illegal guns which I don't have but I do have a CWFL and a legal gun in the center console. He handed me my DL and said have a good day. I am sure he will better phrase his questions in the future.
    Why should he re-phrase his question? He was correct and he didnt care about your legal weapon.

And you had no reason to tell him about your legal weapon except by your own choice.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    The answer is "NO" in Ohio. But you should anyway as courtesy to the LEO because your driver's license is attached to your CHL. When the officer makes his/her second approach to your vehicle, they will already know.

I have informed before and let the officer know that there where no weapons in the car.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Why is it a 'courtesy?' And as the other poster wrote....'it gives them peace of mind.' Who says? A police officer has to approach every situation, esp. a traffic stop, as if occupants are armed. Criminals arent going to 'inform.'

"Yes officer, I have my gun" and then he goes back to his vehicle and sees you rummaging around for your cell phone or paperwork....why would he feel any better just because you told him? It doesnt stop you from having it out, ready to use, when he comes back. Maybe you are trying to lull him into complacency? LEOs cant afford to trust anyone if they want to go home at nite. (At the same time, I refuse to accept paranoia and a cop giving me a hard time for legally carrying a firearm. Fortunately, this has never happened).

Keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight until the officer asks you to get him ID or anything else. He may not. He may just want to inform you that you have a light out.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    Im not trying to be a smart azz but if someone can't rember where all there guns are they should not be carrying.
    Well, it's a little smart azzy, but you make a point. However, when you drive multiple vehicles, and your wife carries and conceals, again, why not better safe than sorry? What if you're driving a friend's vehicle? You may not have any idea what's in there...I speak from experience on this point.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there seems to be an opinion among some in this thread that you absolutely don't want to let an LEO know you have the permit unless you have to. Is there that much mistrust of LEO's, or is there another issue I'm blissfully ignorant of? I need to know so I can get it indexed into the database of all the other things I'm blissfully ignorant of ; )

I don't see the point of notifying that you ARE NOT carrying. Should we notify them of everything?

"Officer, just so you are aware, I smoked a little pot in college, but I gave that up years ago and there is currently no pot in my car. Also, I have never robbed a bank although I think I could use the extra cash. Oh, and I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm, but I left it at the house today."

Nmuskier, Jetfuelrm and SIGguy229 like this.
    Lifetime NRA member

Well, it's a little smart azzy, but you make a point. However, when you drive multiple vehicles, and your wife carries and conceals, again, why not better safe than sorry? What if you're driving a friend's vehicle? You may not have any idea what's in there...I speak from experience on this point.
    You make an excellent case for never informing if you do not have to. The old 'you have nothing to be afraid of if you have nothing to hide' cliche can really come back and bite you anytime you allow the authorities toquestion or search unnecessarily. God forbid your teen's friend left a roach under the seat.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there seems to be an opinion among some in this thread that you absolutely don't want to let an LEO know you have the permit unless you have to. Is there that much mistrust of LEO's, or is there another issue I'm blissfully ignorant of? I need to know so I can get it indexed into the database of all the other things I'm blissfully ignorant of ; )
    It's not about informing if you have a permit or not...that comes up automatically in many jurisdictions when license plates are run. It's about divulging if you are armed. And I see no need to do so. I see no reason to open the door to (possibly) more hassles.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You make an excellent case for never informing if you do not have to. The old 'you have nothing to be afraid of if you have nothing to hide' cliche can really come back and bite you anytime you allow the authorities toquestion or search unnecessarily. God forbid your teen's friend left a roach under the seat.

It's not about informing if you have a permit or not...that comes up automatically in many jurisdictions when license plates are run. It's about divulging if you are armed. And I see no need to do so. I see no reason to open the door to (possibly) more hassles.
    But you're making my point. If you don't advise, and they know as as soon as they run your license, I think they'd be more inclined to think you're hiding something. Yes, you may be perfectly within your right to keep your mouth shut, but if there's less of a downside to advising, why not?

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatime View Post
    I don't see the point of notifying that you ARE NOT carrying. Should we notify them of everything?

"Officer, just so you are aware, I smoked a little pot in college, but I gave that up years ago and there is currently no pot in my car. Also, I have never robbed a bank although I think I could use the extra cash. Oh, and I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm, but I left it at the house today."

Now that I think about it, those are illegal activities. Should we inform of other legal activities we are not doing?
    Officer, I am not carrying a Bible even though I have the right to freely practice my religion.
    Officer, I am not carrying my voter registration card even though I am a registered voter.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links