Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

This is a discussion on Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jambie But you're making my point. If you don't advise, and they know as as soon as they run your license, I ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post
    But you're making my point. If you don't advise, and they know as as soon as they run your license, I think they'd be more inclined to think you're hiding something. Yes, you my be perfectly within your right to keep your mouth shut, but if there's less of a downside to advising, why not?
    What is the upside to advising? THey have to be onguard for EVERYONE, no matter if you advise or not. I pointed out the downside...you may be in for issues you arent even aware of.

Again, you are back to, 'you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide.' I FEAR that attitude in America, lol.

It is not dishonest not to inform. I dont inform about other legally carried things.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Well, the upside to advising is that they're gonna know soon enough, so, in my view, prior disclosure might save you some hassle. Your view obviously differs. That's what makes America great.

But you're making my point. If you don't advise, and they know as as soon as they run your license, I think they'd be more inclined to think you're hiding something. Yes, you may be perfectly within your right to keep your mouth shut, but if there's less of a downside to advising, why not?
    Here they will not know when they run my plate. Pretty simple here if I get stopped and am carrying I will give my DL insurance and concealed card. If I am not carrying I will only give them the license and insurance. So in essence if I am not carrying I find it pointless to let them know, kinda a waste of time and no hassles will come out of it. I'm curious what my downside would be?
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

If they don't find out when they run your license, then there's no downside that I can see.

Well, the upside to advising is that they're gonna know soon enough, so, in my view, prior disclosure might save you some hassle. Your view obviously differs. That's what makes America great.
    They dont actually...know if you are carrying. Just that you legally may.

Unless you give them additional reason, sensibly they have no motivation to ask you (since you are legally licensed to do so). Again, they still have to assume all are dangerous.

Yes, we'll have to disagree. I just think alot of people like to think they are all part of some secret club with the cops and 'hey, we're all on the same team.'

Since most *cops* dont necessarily think that, I dont inform.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    They dont actually...know if you are carrying. Just that you legally may.

Unless you give them additional reason, sensibly they have no motivation to ask you (since you are legally licensed to do so). Again, they still have to assume all are dangerous.

Yes, we'll have to disagree. I just think alot of people like to think they are all part of some secret club with the cops and 'hey, we're all on the same team.'

Since most *cops* dont necessarily think that, I dont inform.
    Secret club? No, advising even when I'm not carrying doesn't make me think the cop will consider me his brother-in-arms (or, "disarms", that particular day), it simply reduces the chance he'll wonder what else I'm not telling him.

I do happen to think we're on the same team, though.

Re: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

Why is it a 'courtesy?' And as the other poster wrote....'it gives them peace of mind.' Who says? A police officer has to approach every situation, esp. a traffic stop, as if occupants are armed. Criminals arent going to 'inform.'

"Yes officer, I have my gun" and then he goes back to his vehicle and sees you rummaging around for your cell phone or paperwork....why would he feel any better just because you told him? It doesnt stop you from having it out, ready to use, when he comes back. Maybe you are trying to lull him into complacency? LEOs cant afford to trust anyone if they want to go home at nite. (At the same time, I refuse to accept paranoia and a cop giving me a hard time for legally carrying a firearm. Fortunately, this has never happened).

Keep your hands on the steering wheel in plain sight until the officer asks you to get him ID or anything else. He may not. He may just want to inform you that you have a light out.
    Then when you're in Ohio or other state....don't inform. I could care less :)

from my phone. Sorry for any typo's, i have nails.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Check your local laws to be sure. In Ohio if you do not have your firearm with you, you do not have to notify. If in a car I will notify even if I do not have my firearm with me.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Then when you're in Ohio or other state....don't inform. I could care less :)

That's not an answer to my question.

Having been a park ranger who made car stops, it's a question that occurs to me when I read this sort of thing. If you dont have an explanation, I accept that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Re: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

That's not an answer to my question.

Having been a park ranger who made car stops, it's a question that occurs to me when I read this sort of thing. If you dont have an explanation, I accept that.
    Who cares about your question? Its obvious you would much rather have a confrontation and broadcast your resume then have any kind of conversation? The law is in Ohio that you must notify if you are carrying your firearm....period! If you are not carrying then do what ever you want.

It is not clear in Texas. However I would show both.

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Who cares about your question? Its obvious you would much rather have a confrontation and broadcast your resume then have any kind of conversation? The law is in Ohio that you must notify if you are carrying your firearm....period! If you are not carrying then do what ever you want.

My resume? Hardly. I'm a long way from those days. But the fact remains that that experience factors into my question.

You posted something and I asked a question. I'm sorry if it's so hard to answer a *polite* question.

Hey everybody.....let's not bother asking anymore questions on the forum!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I don't know of any state that requires notification if you are not carrying. If there are any they need to get the law changed, because it is dumber then Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer rolled into one!
    In Bad A M F Stan you do, then have to give the cop an explanation of why you are not prepared for SHTF ( aka a state holiday).

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    IMO it's a damn stupid law if you have to notify law enforcement when you aren't carrying. Who dreams this stupid stuff up? SMH
    Law-abiding citizens, aka sheepskin commandos.

Ohio LEO Notification Requirement

Ohio Law Specifically Excludes Notification Requirement if You are NOT Carrying: Paragraph B is the Notification Requirement and each of the 4 subparagraphs specifically includes "If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun,"...then paragraph C specifically excludes if the firearm is being transported and is not "on your person."

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
    (C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (c) A person’s transportation or storage of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor’s person

(note: section 2912.11 is definition of weapons...divisions G-M list zip guns, bombs, TNT, etc.

So the only requirement to notify is to be carrying, and the same statue says it does not apply if you are just transporting.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links