Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

This is a discussion on Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In states that require you notify a LEO when pulled over, do you need to notify them when you have a CHL, but are not ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Requirement to notify if you are NOT carrying?

In states that require you notify a LEO when pulled over, do you need to notify them when you have a CHL, but are not presently carrying?
    tony1990 likes this.

The answer is "Yes" in Ohio.

Cheers,
    Tom

I think that someone should post the addy's of all those who don't have a gun permit to see how they feel about it

I wouldn't think you would "have to " advise if you aren't carrying a gun. What's the purpose of it ??? We don't have to notify, so we're not accustomed to it anyway.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

NC is a must notify state but not required by statute when you are not carrying. Some people still do notify when not carrying and notifying when not carrying isn't against the law in any state that I'm aware of. You may get chuckled at by seasoned LE but you'll always land on the right side of the law.
    Jaybm likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jambie View Post

Cheers,
    Tom
    What statute in OH requires that you notify even when you are not carrying? The only one I found says that you must notify when you ARE carrying.

2923.16 (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following:
    (1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;
    (2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle.
    Curzyk and Anubis like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Cheers,
    Tom
    Do you have a citation for that??

I find it hard to believe you have to disclose you have a piece of paper in your wallet, but no "piece" on your person or in your vehicle.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member

Cheers,
    Tom
    The answer is NO in Ohio. You only have to notify if you are carrying. Given that the cops know you have a permit, they may well ask if you are carrying, but you don't have to start that conversation unless you are carrying.
    Curzyk and JDE101 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I don't know of any state that requires notification if you are not carrying. If there are any they need to get the law changed, because it is dumber then Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Schumer rolled into one!
    nontechguy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    There is at least one local constable in my AO that disagrees with this(I know you're right). He also has a penchant for pulling anyone over who is riding a sport bike, for no apparent reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The answer is NO in Ohio. You only have to notify if you are carrying. Given that the cops know you have a permit, they may well ask if you are carrying, but you don't have to start that conversation unless you are carrying.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member

Cheers,
    Tom
    Did you, perchance, have an instructor tell you that?
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    There is at least one local constable in my AO that disagrees with this(I know you're right). He also has a penchant for pulling anyone over who is riding a sport bike, for no apparent reason.
    He isn't the first LEO in Ohio to be under that mistaken impression.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    In states that require you notify a LEO when pulled over, do you need to notify them when you have a CHL, but are not presently carrying?
    That would be rather silly now wouldn't it?

Any one know about Texas on this issue ?

RKM
    I've been pulled over once in the past 3 years I've been carrying. Officer didn't ask, I didn't tell him. I have no legal requirement to do so. Now had he asked, I would have told him the truth.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links