Biting the dust...Part 2

This is a discussion on Biting the dust...Part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is from the Biloxi-Gulfport Sun-Herald newspaper about a shooting in the Saucier community north of the coast: No charges filed in Monday night homicide ...

Thread: Biting the dust...Part 2

Biting the dust...Part 2

This is from the Biloxi-Gulfport Sun-Herald newspaper about a shooting in the Saucier community north of the coast:

No charges filed in Monday night homicide in Saucier
    By ROBIN FITZGERALD
    rfitzgerald@sunherald.com
    GULFPORT - No charges have been filed in a homicide reported as a botched armed robbery in Saucier on Monday night.

Sheriff George H. Payne Jr. said the fatal shooting of Bobby Earl Hardy occurred around 11 p.m. after Hardy followed a Bell Lane couple to their home. Hardy, according to investigators, tried to rob the couple at gun-point and assaulted the husband. The wife shot Hardy, who fled but later died at Memorial Hospital, investigators said.

The couple's names have been withheld. Payne said the case will be presented to the District Attorney's Office for a grand jury review.

The Sun Herald is checking on details for an update in Wednesday's editions.

Another BG takes a dirt nap!

2. Remove Ads

Hope it all works out OK
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Bad error in tactics by Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Hardy, according to investigators, tried to rob the couple at gun-point and assaulted the husband. The wife shot Hardy, who fled but later died at Memorial Hospital, investigators said.
    It sounds like the armed robber made the fatal mistake of assaulting one of two victims and taking his eyes off the other. Perhaps he figured that the woman was no threat to him.

He was wrong...

This type of outcome does wonders for the crime rate. It takes one criminal out of the picture permanently, and serves to discourage others from this activity.

Lew
    Good for her. Too bad it has to go to a grand jury...
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    No charges filed in Monday night homicide in Saucier
    By ROBIN FITZGERALD
    rfitzgerald@sunherald.com
    GULFPORT - No charges have been filed in a homicide reported as a botched armed robbery in Saucier on Monday night.
    The writing and reporting of the news continues to degrade. It's like they're hiring 9th graders to write this crap, now.

Should have read, "No charges have been filed in a homicide reported as a thwarted armed robbery..."

Generally, if an armed robbery is "botched" and there is a homicide as a result, it is a case of the robber shot the intended robbery victim. This was not a botched robbery, it was one that was thwarted by the would-be victim.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    This type of outcome does wonders for the crime rate. It takes one criminal out of the picture permanently, and serves to discourage others from this activity.

Armed robberies take place dozens, probably hundreds of times a day across the country. I'm not sure who's being "discouraged" from committing them -- there seems to be no shortage of willing candidates.

I'm reluctant to say that I believe that killing a would-be robber discourages others from living a life of crime; but I'm happy enough that THIS ONE won't be continuing to do so. That's enough to satisfy me.

...tried to rob the couple at gun-point and assaulted the husband. The wife shot Hardy,...
    Stories like this make me happy that my wife knows how to shoot, and always carries.

Read John Lott's book "More guns, less crime"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Armed robberies take place dozens, probably hundreds of times a day across the country. I'm not sure who's being "discouraged" from committing them -- there seems to be no shortage of willing candidates. I'm reluctant to say that I believe that killing a would-be robber discourages others from living a life of crime.
    The fact that concealed carry and armed homeowners deter violent crime has been extensively studied and verified by academics such as John Lott in his book "More guns, less crime":

"A study by economist and University of Chicago professor John Lott and co-researcher David Mustard in 1997 examined crime data from all 3,054 counties in the U.S. for the period between 1977 and 1992 and compared those data to the enactment of concealed carry laws. Based on that research, the pair concluded that "allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters violent crimes, without increasing accidental deaths. (CNS News, May 13, 2003)"

Criminals use logic, just like the rest of us. If the risk is greater than the reward, some criminals will avoid the crime.

I was just sayin', maybe the crime drop is from all the crimes that would have been committed by the criminals that CCWers knock off here and there!

Saw an update on the local news at six. They interviewed the couple. Both in their 70's. Store owners closed up and went home. BG was wearing a mask. Caught her in the garage. She yelled for husband. BG steps into house from garage. Paw Paw decides to jump BG. Scuffle ensues, BG fires and grazes Paw Paw. Takes a step out, the wife says she shot, shot, shot, shot. BG gets away, somehow ends up in hospital about 20 miles away and dies.

At the sheriff's office, she says recognizes his face (from mug shot from previous arrests) said he's been in their store lots and lots of times.

Guess he picked the wrong couple?

GOOD FOR THEM!!! I could not believe they could be prosecuted, but then again, anything could happen

Chris

Don't think so. Got a big 'ol pat on the back from the sheriff and he is one ******* lawman.

He has been putting BG in jail for a long time, honest as the day is long and knows what he's doing.

If he says its a clean shoot, it's a clean shoot.

End of discussion.

Another one bites the dust!

Checked the county jail docket.

This BG was busted several times before for armed robbery.

Looks like he learned his lesson!

It's good to hear about the good guys prevailing over the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
    It's good to hear about the good guys prevailing over the bad.

Sure is!

Links