How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

This is a discussion on How big is your CCW in relation to yourself? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, Welcome to the forum. As to your question. For me it doesn't matter. I have carried everything from a full size 1911, to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

VIP Member
    First off, Welcome to the forum.

As to your question. For me it doesn't matter. I have carried everything from a full size 1911, to a Ruger LC9 without issue. Concealment isn't an issue if you dress properly. BTW, I'm 6' about 195.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Lately I've been carrying a SIG 220. This is a pretty big gun. At my size it doesn't really matter what I carry.

On the other hand, I don't think your size matters, or the size of the gun. You will find a way to carry what you want. With the different models of holsters available from the makers (MILT SPARKS, hint hint) you will find a holster that fits the way you carry, no matter your size or the gun's.

As I recall, Limatunes does (or used to) carry a full size 1911. I have not met her or her husband JD (yet), but from what I understand, the gun probably weighs more than she does. If she can carry a full size 1911 at around 5' tall and 90 odd pounds, I expect you can carry what you want as well.

At the other extreme, I am 6'5 and weight in around 220, or did before Xmas. But I don't think my size helps all that much. Nor do I think that someone of a smaller stature will be hindered. Lima and her 1911, me and my SIG 220, well, you have two people that are vastly different in size, yet carry guns of a similar size and weight.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Before I answer, what exactly do you mean or infer with the term CCW? Is this a codeword for a more testosterone loaded question? Want to be sure I answer your question correctly. All kidding aside, the real important part of your question has very little to do with your size and your firearm and everything to do with your holster. I understand where you are coming from but in the end, the holster takes care of it all, if it is the proper holster for your size and firearm and for your physical abilities to actually handle a firearm (its weight, grip size and recoil) of a peculiar size--particularly large/full size. You can say the same thing about a very large individual and his ability to handle a small pocket pistol.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    5' 10", 33" waist 165 lbs and my EDC is a XD40 SC in a Galco King Tuk or Cross Breed Super Tuck IWB holster. Normal daily dress is Docker Pants and Tommy Bahama shirt.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I am 5'11 and 200lbs. I can hide a full sized 1911 and do on occasion but my EDC is a Glock 27 for sheer comfort and never worrying about printing. The 229 is a pretty thick gun and heavy to boot. I bet you'll find a lighter, smaller gun to be something you carry more and more. If you like the .40 I would say the Glock 27 is one of the very best for EDC. Reliable, small, light, good capacity, etc. The main factor in good concealment is matching your carry position to your body style. For instance, a lot of guys like AIWB carry. For me, the slight gut I have makes that pretty uncomfortable. For me, the just behind the hip is perfect. There I can hide ANY gun I choose.

Hope that helps some.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I'm a slightly tall height, medium build type guy. 6' 200 pounds. I can conceal whatever I want, with the proper clothing and holster/belt. I don't like being hot - and I get warm easily. So I try to only carry what I can conceal with a t-shirt. In my case that is a full sized Glock with an XL t shirt.

Austin

Re: Hw big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

5'9" @ 200#...XD9sc in a hybrid holster from Extreme Concealment Systems. Easily disappears. But yes, as others have mentioned, a good belt and good holster make all the difference.

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

It all depends on how im dressed, and where i'm going. If i'm going out to a (usually) low-crime area, i'll carry my PM9. If i'm going out to "other" areas, it's my FNX 9mm on the belt and a PM9 on my ankle. I'd carry a Katana also if it didnt attract so much attention.

Size doesnt matter! (right?.... )

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    5'7", 110-120lbs, Walther PPQ 9mm service pistol and 1 to 2 spare mags, depending. I use a hybrid IWB holster, or a belly-band rig that holds two spare mags on my weak side. The weapon is rarely noticeable under a T-shirt or polo, and it doesn't really bother me much in regards to weight or bulk. I typically carry at the 4 to 5 o'clock position.

I also have a trigger-cover clip with a belt lanyard that I use if I carry appendix or cross-draw in my waist band, which is handy in Summer.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

5'9" 190lbs. I carry a XD9 service model IWB with a crossbreed. I usually tuck with a T-shirt and shorts.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I just picked up a Galco King Tuk this afternoon. It will take some breaking in but it distributes the weight nicely and is already very comfortable. Another question for you guys with CBST or Galco KT holsters, where do you carry on your body clock? I'm experimenting right now with everywhere between 3:00 and 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingAces35 View Post
    I just picked up a Galco King Tuk this afternoon. It will take some breaking in but it distributes the weight nicely and is already very comfortable. Another question for you guys with CBST or Galco KT holsters, where do you carry on your body clock? I'm experimenting right now with everywhere between 3:00 and 5:00.
    I have had my King Tuck for 2 years now and wear it everyday. I wear mine just slightly aft of 3pm, right behind my hip bone. Then just adjust the cant to your liking. One tip that i did and it made a lot of difference was glue a piece of micro suede fabric to the back. Adds just enough friction to help it stay put better. Just use a little 3M super 77 spray adhesive and you are all set.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Hw big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

6'0" 300lbs. I carry an XD-9 device in a Lonestar Leather holster (in pic) and roughy 3:30-4:00.

Big guy or small guy, with a good holster and proper cover garments a full size pistol can me efficiently and completely concealed. I also carry in a pancake style OWB wih out any problems.

Still waiting for my SuperTuck Deluxe to arrive inthe mail.

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS (your carry gun)_______Smith & Wesson M&P40 Full Size (my carry gun)
    Overall Length 7.1 in__________________7.63 in
    Overall Height 5.4 in__________________5.5 in
    Overall Width 1.5 in__________________1.2 in
    Barrel Length 3.9 in__________________4.25 in
    Weight overall 32 oz__________________24.25 oz

I'm 5'4 135lbs I conceal a full size combat effective gun... If i'm in a fight for my life I don't want a pocket gun as my main battle handgun. I want the most advantage possible. If I conceal a full size gun anyone can. Looks like you gun is smaller and heavier then mine... maybe you should buy a M&P or a M&Pc.

P.S. I get complimented from my firearm circle of friends who often ask me if I'm concealing and how they never can tell. It's all about the BELT and the HOLSTER... a little positive attitude helps to... the size of the gun doesn't matter.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

5'7 and 200 lbs... I normally carry either a Shield 40 but have carried a full size M&P 40, Glock 19 and even a 1911. All concealed well enough IWB but, dang, that 1911 is one heavy gun. I dress like a slob (shirt tail out and jeans) all of the time so concealment is fairly easy. Thing is, mostly, no one will notice anyway. People in general are relatively blind and see only what they want to see.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links