How big is your CCW in relation to yourself? - Page 3

How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

This is a discussion on How big is your CCW in relation to yourself? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 6'2", 230#; and my daily carry gun is a 2¼" barrel, 7 shot Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 357 magnum. I carry IWB in a Theis® ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

I'm 6'2", 230#; and my daily carry gun is a 2¼" barrel, 7 shot Taurus® Mdl 617SS2 357 magnum. I carry IWB in a Theis® hybrid holster. Fully concealed, with no printing; and very comfortable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Hw big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

I am 5'7 140lbs and thinking about getting a cz p07 duty to carry IWB. I am having trouble figuring out what I want though. Really want a DA/SA that I can carry around 500$ lol if I end up getting a SAO ill probably go for the m&p 9c.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I am a small 5' 2" 135lbs. small hands and small pockets with a small .380 in front pocket and one on the ankle.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Im 5 ft 9 in 195 lbs. And I have three guns in my carry rotation depending on needs. Ill carry my m&p9c most of the time in a galco kink-tuk. Or if I need a smaller gun for deep concealment its my bersa thunder 380. And when super deep concealment or riding my bike its my kel-tec p-32.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

6-1 tall 220lbs. Everyday carry for me is a Springfield XDc 40 in a Galco iwb at the 4o'clock you wouldn't know I was carrying anything.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    5' 4" with a 25" waist. I've carried a lot of different size guns in the past - the Colt Cobra I carry now, a Kahr K40, G23, CZ 75c, CZ RAMI, USP Compact .45, S&W 66, Taurus 617, Sig P232, Colt Mustang. Sometimes I carried more than one, sometimes extra mags, speedloaders or whatnot. Most were carried in a belly band holster.

The biggest I carried once "just because" - a 6" S&W 686+ in a belt slide holster. I wore a suede blazer and it concealed just fine. When sitting, I had to make sure it didn't go clunk.

So concealing is very doable with the right attire, holster and positioning.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

in the age of technology an object on your waistband doesnt scream HEY I HAVE A GUN, people wear huge phones with 19 foot plasma displays on their hip all the time, find something that works for you and go with it, it will likely be a trial and error many of us have a box of holsters, like I said find something that works and never look back, ANY handgun can be concealed as long as you dedicate the appropriate amount of thought to the process. The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.

for what it's worth I carry a Ruger SR40 5'10 200
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    5' 4" with a 25" waist. I've carried a lot of different size guns in the past - the Colt Cobra I carry now\a Kahr K40, G23, CZ 75c, CZ RAMI, USP Compact .45, S&W 66, Taurus 617, Sig P232, Colt Mustang. Sometimes I carried more than one, sometimes extra mags, speedloaders or whatnot. Most were carried in a belly band holster.

The biggest I carried once "just because" - a 6" S&W 686+ in a belt slide holster. I wore a suede blazer and it concealed just fine. When sitting, I had to make sure it didn't go clunk.
    So concealing is very doable with the right attire, holster and positioning.
    That's quite an arsenal...if you put them all together, they probably weigh as much you ...

5'6" 170, solid build. Carry Glock 19, 12:00 deep with 3 Speed holster or IWB with Thies Holster, no issues. Also carry Kahr CW9 IWB with Foxx Trapp holster, again, no issues.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    OK Tuffy. Do you do rollerderby too?
    I watched it.......
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Think of TWO Guns

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingAces35 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but have spent a while perusing the topics and liked what I saw enough to join. I've carried concealed off and on for a few years but will be making it a regular habit now that I have a family and that the region where I live is quickly going to the dogs (south Puget Sound area).

My question for all of you is how big (physical size) of a handgun do you carry in relation to your stature? I'm carrying P229 SAS .40 IWB @ 4:00. It's a wonderful gun and it is the one I have the most proficiency with. However, I'm 5' 8", 160lbs so I feel like it is a really large gun for my body type. I have a simple Galco leather holster that sucks the grip into my body quite nicely, and as far as I can tell in the mirror printing isn't a huge issue for me. As an EMT by trade I am perpetually broke so purchasing a smaller handgun is out of the question (the Sig was a gift).

Since I'm still somewhat getting used to concealed carry I think it might make me feel better to know other members can conceal larger pistols too. Whenever I carry I'm all too aware of the seemingly huge piece on my hip, and worried I may be overlooking some huge giveaway. Most likely n00b jitters?

Looking forward to hearing your replies!
    Best think of two guns for CCW. One gun is like trying to choose what one pair of shoes to have. Don't have to buy both at once. But say the goal is to have two guns for different needs/occasions within a year. Concentrate only on the first now.

And the best way to choose a gun is how you shoot it and what the caliber is: how big it is part of that. I Carry a 38spl snub sometimes with a 2" barrel (Colt Detective - no longer manufactured)- and sometimes a 9mm that's full-size, 4" barrel and the gun looks substantial - (Beretta 92FS - the side-arm of our Army).

I shoot both equally well. The size was chosen also, but obviously they are quite different, intentionally, and I chose these two out of hundreds. The snub is great if I am in close contact with people, it conceals well. The Beretta if I'm out walking etc. has more bullet speed and, being long, is easy for aimed shooting. They both are in the same ball-park as far as power. Some of have one in a more powerful caliber than the other. Again, how you shoot it comes first within whatever category the gun is.

Last, while tempting, don't buy a gun and holster, put them on and immediately walk out the house for your regular evening. Learn to shoot it VERY VERY WELL BEFORE YOU CCW IT. (I shoot a gun two months or more before I Carry it once.)

Remember: that gun will kill anybody - It doesn't care who.

Don't be a danger to others by not knowing your gun. Better to Carry a non-lethal weapon for a time while learning well the lethal one.

Good luck!

(I'm 5' 10", 140 lbs, 65yrs old)

6'2" and about as wide as fence post (165) and I carry a glock 19 no problem, just need to find the right holster/set up
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm a big guy but I carry a mid sized gun. When I was much smaller I carried a full sized gun. When you get used to carrying you will realize that you are able to conciel just about anything you want. You are just over thinking it. DR

68blackbird and gatorbait51 like this.

Short and fat here. 5'8" and 250 pounds. (90% of the time it's a Glock 26 in an MTAC (hybrid) holster at 3:30. Rest of the time it's either a Glock 17 or a Taurus TCP 738. I don't have any trouble concealing any of them. It just takes the right clothes, belt, and holster.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Question Everything!

Depending on what I happen to be wearing at the time. I am 6' 5" 250LBS, most days I carry a 1911 iwb and a m&p 9 shield on my ankle.

6'1" 268 carry a LC9 IWB.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links