How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

This is a discussion on How big is your CCW in relation to yourself? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but have spent a while perusing the topics and liked what I saw enough to join. I've carried ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

How big is your CCW in relation to yourself?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but have spent a while perusing the topics and liked what I saw enough to join. I've carried concealed off and on for a few years but will be making it a regular habit now that I have a family and that the region where I live is quickly going to the dogs (south Puget Sound area).

My question for all of you is how big (physical size) of a handgun do you carry in relation to your stature? I'm carrying P229 SAS .40 IWB @ 4:00. It's a wonderful gun and it is the one I have the most proficiency with. However, I'm 5' 8", 160lbs so I feel like it is a really large gun for my body type. I have a simple Galco leather holster that sucks the grip into my body quite nicely, and as far as I can tell in the mirror printing isn't a huge issue for me. As an EMT by trade I am perpetually broke so purchasing a smaller handgun is out of the question (the Sig was a gift).

Since I'm still somewhat getting used to concealed carry I think it might make me feel better to know other members can conceal larger pistols too. Whenever I carry I'm all too aware of the seemingly huge piece on my hip, and worried I may be overlooking some huge giveaway. Most likely n00b jitters?

Looking forward to hearing your replies!

2. Remove Ads

GH
    I'm 5'7" 175# & have carried a Glock 23, a S&W Sigma 40VE (same size as the Glock) & am waiting for an M&P 40C which is slightly smaller than the others. I've had absolutely no problem concealing. I carry OWB about 99% of the time. I feel confident that I could conceal a Glock 22 or M&P 40, both full size. Since my state has no law against printing I don't take great pains to conceal but still conceal well, even in the warm months wearing a T shirt, untucked of course.

With dressing in the right kind of clothing & a little thought I feel that you could very easily conceal almost anything.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

my ccw in relation to me is 1/153rd
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

6'1 225 glock 23 and you will never know I have it
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    I'm probably not a good example for you as I'm a first cousin to Sasquatch and can conceal just about any handgun easily. However, I will throughout this bit of "wisdom". The single most important part of concealment is attitude. If you are comfortable and relaxed it is noticed by others and then they are far less suspicious of unfamiliar bulges at your waistline. They will tend to "fill in the blanks" within their own experiences.

Obviously, this won't work on a poorly covered gun but it will work on those slight bumps or bulges that is the hallmark of a full sized handgun stuffed in your pants.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 190 lbs, with a 32" waist. I can easily and comfortably conceal my Glock 19 IWB. A 17's extra 1/2" on the grip length makes it a much tougher hide for me, so much so that I had the grip chopped. A decent gun belt (for me a Wilderness Instructor edc, a Brommeland leather gun belt when dressed formally) and a solid holster make or break an edc set-up.
    Last edited by Mike1956; January 5th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'm 6'1" 185lbs and carry a Springfield XDSC or Springfield XDS, I'd say they are mid sized guns...

I don't dress specifically for carry at all. While I do try to keep covered up, I don't go out of my way to make sure its not exposed. Example: If at the grocery store and I need something for bottom shelf I don't awkwardly bend over, I just go for it!

I'm not sure how you feel about it but living in Washington you have the right to carry openly...I say this because with that right you don't need to be too worried if your concealed weapon prints or your cover garment rides up.

I'm 5'7" 180lbs. For my height I'm pretty big guy (48 jacket, with 34" waist) so I can carry a full size gun without it printing much if at all. I used to a carry a full size M&P 9mm. The only issue for me is the weight of the gun even with a good gun belt. Now I carry compact and pocket guns.

I'm a 6'00" 145 to 150lb skinny dude and carry either a Glock 29sf 10mm or a Springfield XD-40 Sub Compact and being a person who doesn't get cold easy I still wear t's and don't print at all using IWB at 4 to 5 oclock position.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    6'3" and 400; I conceal a full-sized double-stack pistol with no difficulty. I am still having trouble with the 12ga and my Barrett, but I think that one of the few benefits of being overweight is that one can carry a big weapon. The belt and holster snug the grip into my muffin top to the point that there is very little printing.

Note: from a self-defense standpoint, I recommend NOT adding 250 extra pounds just so you can conceal a larger weapon. There are other ways.

As Jim Croce would say I am "Built like a frigerator with a head". I can hide anything at 6' and 250.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    my ccw in relation to me is 1/153rd
    I'm a bit on the short side so I'd say I am about 1/131.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    A lot of concealing is the proper equipment - belt & holster. I am 6'5 & 350#. With the proper gear, I can conceal pretty much anything (although I have never tried a full size DE). With ill fitting or inferior gear, a J frame can be an issue. I used to have a high ride holster for a J frame and it flopped over and basically stuck straight out. Concealment nightmare and I was not too keen on wearing a gun that pointed at my hips.

I sold that holster to a skinny guy and got one that works for me. Once you find the gear that works for you, you will be surprised at what you can conceal. Of course, if you decide to wear spandex tights and a tight shirt, an LCP will be an issue. Dressing for carry helps a lot too.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    As Jim Croce would say I am "Built like a frigerator with a head". I can hide anything at 6' and 250.
    OK Tuffy. Do you do rollerderby too?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    A lot of concealing is the proper equipment - belt & holster.
    All of concealing is proper equipment and clothing. I honestly believe height and weight is completely irrelevant. I am not very good at concealing large weapons because I don't wear clothes that allow for it.

If you wear baggy clothes, which most people do, then you can conceal any pistol. A few ounces doesn't matter for 99% of people because they are just going to the grocery store or milling around town. It isn't exactly taxing. I don't care what Nutnfancy says.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links