Trading in NM

This is a discussion on Trading in NM within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife does not like her SW 38 Special, six shot, two inch barrel. It is more gun then she wants and is comfortable with. ...

Thread: Trading in NM

Trading in NM

My wife does not like her SW 38 Special, six shot, two inch barrel. It is more gun then she wants and is comfortable with. The 38 is the first gun I ever bought. It cost me 375$.

I agreed to get her a .22 so she would be more comfortable. I don't need three guns......I carry a 9mm. So I was going to trade the 38 for a new Walther .22 Auto. Really nice gun retails for 319$. The problem is that the two gun shops I went to both would take my trade but they would only give me 125$ and 150$.

I did not like the thought of being out so much for the trade.

My question is, is it legal for me to trade my gun or sell it through the local paper? What are the rules and regulations about selling a gun in NM? I've noticed other people selling theirs in the paper.

I just don't like the thought of selling my gun to just anyone or buying a gun from just anyone.

Any thoughs or advice to my inexperience would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by crankinNM; October 17th, 2006 at 09:09 PM. Reason: mispelling

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    To me, there is something about still having the first gun I ever bought, even if it's not my best or favorite. I would just swallow the cost of the new gun, not trying to capitalize using the proceeds from the sale or trade of the first one.

As for the laws in NM, sorry, I am not familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    To me, there is something about still having the first gun I ever bought, even if it's not my best or favorite. I would just swallow the cost of the new gun, not trying to capitalize using the proceeds from the sale or trade of the first one.

As for the laws in NM, sorry, I am not familiar with them.
    PJ,

Thanks for the reply. My wife had mentioned the same thing. I'm just not a "bunch of guns" guy. May end up going that rought though. I sure do want to add one of those Kel-Tek p3's to my two gun collection.

Oh yeah, and I have worked hard at not being sentimental about anything......can't start now with guns.

24 reads, 1 reply, so I'm bumping it up. Just once though, maybe my title is not extravagant enough.

Talk to me New Mexico.

crankinNM, probably not many posts to your thread because the question is clear and the responsibility rests with you to get the answer. I'd like to help you out, as many others would, but we don't know the laws of your state. Even if they are from NM, folks may not be eager to give what could be considered to be legal advice, so be patient.

Perhaps talk with the people you were going to trade with, but about an outright purchase of the .22 pistol. At the same time, let them know you will be keeping the .38, but may sell it someday. With that in mind, ask them about the law for you selling the .38 yourself rather than trading. They would still be getting the sale, so with that in mind, maybe will be kind enough to help you with info about how to sell the other firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Perhaps talk with the people you were going to trade with, but about an outright purchase of the .22 pistol. At the same time, let them know you will be keeping the .38, but may sell it someday. With that in mind, ask them about the law for you selling the .38 yourself rather than trading. They would still be getting the sale, so with that in mind, maybe will be kind enough to help you with info about how to sell the other firearm.
    Good advice, thanks.

Seems I can do an internet search on "selling a firearm in New Mexico" or something as well.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    My wife does not like her SW 38 Special, six shot, two inch barrel. It is more gun then she wants and is comfortable with. The 38 is the first gun I ever bought. It cost me 375$.

I agreed to get her a .22 so she would be more comfortable. I don't need three guns......I carry a 9mm. So I was going to trade the 38 for a new Walther .22 Auto. Really nice gun retails for 319$. The problem is that the two gun shops I went to both would take my trade but they would only give me 125$ and 150$.

I did not like the thought of being out so much for the trade.

My question is, is it legal for me to trade my gun or sell it through the local paper? What are the rules and regulations about selling a gun in NM? I've noticed other people selling theirs in the paper.

I just don't like the thought of selling my gun to just anyone or buying a gun from just anyone.

Any thoughs or advice to my inexperience would greatly be appreciated.
    Private party sales and trades are perfectly legal between residents in NM. If you want to exchange ID information, it's up to the two parties.

Personally I wouldn't sell the 38, it never hurts to have an extra gun.
    Besides, Your wife may somday deside she really likes the 38 better then other guns. Has she tried other guns and other calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by skompier View Post
    Private party sales and trades are perfectly legal between residents in NM. If you want to exchange ID information, it's up to the two parties.

That is pretty much what I thought.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Personally I wouldn't sell the 38, it never hurts to have an extra gun.
    Besides, Your wife may somday deside she really likes the 38 better then other guns. Has she tried other guns and other calibers?
    raevan,

I'm thinking the same.

I don't like thinking that she is at home alone with just a 22.

I'll tell her,

"The .22 is great for plinking with, but if you have to shoot someone, use the .38"

Links