Rack a Glock during draw, or carry in chamber

This is a discussion on Rack a Glock during draw, or carry in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dben002 Mike, I have become very comfortable with one in the chamber on the LC9 and the slide safety on. I have ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Rack a Glock during draw, or carry in chamber

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Mike, I have become very comfortable with one in the chamber on the LC9 and the slide safety on. I have also become very adapt at releasing the safety on extraction well before gun is on target. This I think is due to the size and placement of the safety on the LC9. When I carry the LCP I also have one in the chamber but the DA trigger pull on the LCP gives me a margin of safety. (at least I have come to believe this)....I seem to be very very concerned about the G-26 (why I'm not to sure).......

perhaps lots more dry firing practice is need for me anyway..but thanks for the comments....
    My first suggestion would be to have a Glock armorer look at the gun and insure the trigger system is functioning properly and the trigger pull is correct. If it is, then practice with it. If you still don't feel comfortable with it, dump the Glock and get something you are comfortable with. Remember, Glocks are not for everyone, just like Chevy isn't for everyone. Go with what you are going to feel comfortable with.
    aus71383 and Bubbiesdad like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Anyone see ANY safety issues with the Glocks in carry condition 0 ????

Should I be concerned about the hair trigger on a G-26?
    Do you always carry it in a good holster?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I do know people who occasionally carry a G26 in their pocket without a holster. But, I find this practice extremely STUPID.

My holster & firearm come off an go back on as a single unit. I rarely remove my gun from it's holster. I never cycle the action unless I'm cleaning or shooting. I say carry in a good holster and try to handle your firearm & holster as little as possible and you'll have little worries at all.

-

VIP Member
    Mike, I have become very comfortable with one in the chamber on the LC9 and the slide safety on. I have also become very adapt at releasing the safety on extraction well before gun is on target. This I think is due to the size and placement of the safety on the LC9. When I carry the LCP I also have one in the chamber but the DA trigger pull on the LCP gives me a margin of safety. (at least I have come to believe this)....I seem to be very very concerned about the G-26 (why I'm not to sure).......

perhaps lots more dry firing practice is need for me anyway..but thanks for the comments....
    Muscle memory problems are very real when switching from one platform to another. The one and only ND/AD I experienced with my Glock involved doing exactly that. Practice, practice, practice and at least in my case, stick to the edc platform when performing edc exercises.
    TX expat likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Guys he doesn't need to get the gun checked. Clearly he is just used to the long stiff trigger on a double action gun. The Glock isn't supposed to have that trigger- and that is likely why he shoots it better than he does the other guns.

This boils down to the same discussion of one in the chamber or not. You're not comfortable enough with your training and experience with the Glock. There is nothing dangerous about the gun. Thousands upon thousands of them are carried by our LEO community and armed citizens every day without problem. They couldn't survive if the gun was dangerous. In our lawsuit happy world Glock would be too big of a target if their product was in any way unsafe.

I suggest doing exactly what we tell those that are worried about carrying with a round in the chamber of any gun. Get a snap cap and put it in place. Load the gun, put it in your holster and go about living life (I'd recommend having one of your other guns in a pocket for defense). At the end of the day check and see if the striker fell during the day. After a couple of days of carrying the gun and learning that the safe action pistol is, in fact, safe your mind should be at ease.
    JD, finst3r and Bark'n like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Guys he doesn't need to get the gun checked. Clearly he is just used to the long stiff trigger on a double action gun. The Glock isn't supposed to have that trigger- and that is likely why he shoots it better than he does the other guns.

This boils down to the same discussion of one in the chamber or not. You're not comfortable enough with your training and experience with the Glock. There is nothing dangerous about the gun. Thousands upon thousands of them are carried by our LEO community and armed citizens every day without problem. They couldn't survive if the gun was dangerous. In our lawsuit happy world Glock would be too big of a target if their product was in any way unsafe.

I suggest doing exactly what we tell those that are worried about carrying with a round in the chamber of any gun. Get a snap cap and put it in place. Load the gun, put it in your holster and go about living life (I'd recommend having one of your other guns in a pocket for defense). At the end of the day check and see if the striker fell during the day. After a couple of days of carrying the gun and learning that the safe action pistol is, in fact, safe your mind should be at ease.
    I would tend to agree with you but if he did buy the pistol used, there is a chance that the trigger may actually be lighter than it should be.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Mike, it may be me and not the trigger...but the G-26 seems to have a dangerous trigger compared to the DA triggers I'm used to in my LC9 and my LCP. But I shoot the G-26 much better than either of mine but I am not sure if I need to be afraid of it????
    I was concerned with this after I purchased my first Glock but I have become used to it and am glad to say I have never had any problems and I do have one chambered at all times. I do admit when I first started carrying I did not have one chambered but have since changed.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Chambering on the draw can be done, but it shouldn't have to be.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you had a gun with 50 manual safeties, you'd still have to use the trigger finger to fire it.
    It's a trigger finger/muscle memory thing.
    LOAD the chamber.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

The suggestion to get the trigger checked is for his own peace of mind. Is it going to be in spec? Odds are it will be. He's now eliminated one possible problem. Now he can move on and discover what the real issue is. I'll stand by my suggestion.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

How do we know whether an overdone .25 trigger job has been performed on this particular gun, or whether the trigger bar/firing pin lug engagement is within tolerances?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Mike and retsupt are correct, as usual.

You won't have time to rack the slide. You might. Or maybe not, so don't chance it. It is a confidence thing. When I first started carrying, I ran a 1911 (surprise) with one in the pipe, but the hammer down because it was safer.

No, it wasn't. It was much more unsafe than cocked and locked. But I was new and didn't know what I was doing. And I was unfamiliar with handguns. As I progressed, my skill level increased, as did my confidence in myself. Now, I consider a handgun that has a clear chamber to be unloaded,as far as carrying it. I wouldn't consider carrying anything without one chambered.

Mike scored another point with muscle memory and how the controls of the gun change from one platform to another. That's one reason Glocks are so popular. Get any model, and the controls are the same. That is why I have never picked up an H&K, as the mag release would throw me until I got used to it. But once I did, I'd be shot on my SIGs, Glocks, etc.

You'll get used to carrying with one in the pipe. We all did. And we were all a bit nervous about it when first getting started, no matter what the chest beaters may say. But do have someone that is familiar with Glocks take a good look at your trigger, just to make sure it's OK. Or go down to your dealer and look at other Glocks, to compare.
    TX expat, Brad426 and Mike1956 like this.

The scenerio is: the BG grabs you and you use your left arm as a stiff arm to repel him while drawing. This does not leave any arms to rack the gun.
    ALL my carry guns have a round in the chanber ready to fire and operate with one hand....

If you are uncomforable with it, trade it for something you are comfortable with. Buying ANYTHING because its the thing to have (according to other people), means its right for others, and not necessarily for you.

Carrying a gun in a condition not being able to function is more dangerous than an accidental dischage. Practice with it, and if you can't get confident with it, trade it.

I had a semi-auto I carried IWB. The mag release would trip by pressure of the gun on my body, and the mag fell out. I traded it.

I think it is the fact that he is used to a DA trigger, simplest solution to make him happy is to take it to a glock armorer and have a NY trigger set put in it, wala instant 10 lb trigger
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    I was concerned with this after I purchased my first Glock but I have become used to it and am glad to say I have never had any problems and I do have one chambered at all times. I do admit when I first started carrying I did not have one chambered but have since changed.
    Same for me. I carry a 23. The Glock is actually a very safe gun, if carried correctly. As many have said here, a good holster is key. It takes a deliberate effort to pull the trigger, and the first full pull takes more effort. Next time you are at the range pay close attention to how much effort it takes to fire the first shot, you will feel the trigger go through the full travel, then slowly release it, you will feel it reset, from this point you can fire again, and the trigger is much lighter.

It will not "Accidentally" fire

In a real life situation, you will only have seconds to make a decision to draw and fire, you may not have time, or an extra hand, to rack the slide.

And, as always, keep in mind the four basic rules of firearm safety and you should be good.

RKM
    Glock's do have a much shorter and lighter trigger when compared to DAO revolvers, Kahrs, Ruger LCP, LC9, ect. But I wouldn't go as far as saying they're unsafe to carry with a round chambered. I have a Glock 19, 15+1 IWB as I type this. The last time it fired was when I was at the range.

The only thing you need to be pro-cautious with is RE-holstering a loaded firearm, Glock or not. The trigger can catch on lose clothes, a draw string, or your finger. The act of simply carrying it (with a quality holster) is just as safe as anything.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links