We need more of this: Teachers get lesson in gun training

This is a discussion on We need more of this: Teachers get lesson in gun training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- In the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, teachers in the Triangle have responded by spending their Sunday in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: We need more of this: Teachers get lesson in gun training

VIP Member

Thumbs up We need more of this: Teachers get lesson in gun training

CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- In the wake of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, teachers in the Triangle have responded by spending their Sunday in the classroom, in a free firearms training course.

At the Triangle Krav Maga combat center in Cary, educators were able to obtain potentially life-saving gun lessons at no charge.

"I think that it's something that everybody should do. Even if you don't pick up a firearm again ever in your life it's something you should learn, because you never know what's going to happen," instructor Derek Wade said.

School librarian Michelle Angel was one of the participants who took advantage of getting her concealed carry permit during the class.

"I want to feel empowered. I feel like bad guys will always have guns, so there needs to be someone to protect us in school," Angel said.

Even though educators are not allowed to carry guns onto school property, they said they want to be ready if the laws ever change.
    Teachers get lesson in gun training | abc11.com

Kudos to Triangle Krav Maga Combat Center for providing the training and the ABC station for reporting it.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; January 7th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Good for them. Legislators are pushing for carry on school premises here in tn.

I hope it gets passed. My little guys teacher already has a carry permit. :)
    R.C.BG.380 likes this.

Amen to that!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I'm giving a class this weekend for CCW that is mostly teachers.

Anyone else notice the city of the story was "Cary, N.C." haha
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I teach. This is great. IMO it should be a choice to carry on campus. I have not heard anyone who said it should be mandated, yet tons of reactions from idiots about being forced to carry a gun. Standard emotional response. Hopefully someday people learn before too many more innocents get hurt.
    MamaMaria likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seems like where these training classes are being offered to teachers, the classes are very full. That should tell you something.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Anyone else notice the city of the story was "Cary, N.C." haha
    Actually Cary is an extremely liberal area almost as bad as Chapel Hill and Durham.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hopefully the swelling of the tides are perhaps shifting in this arena.
    This may be the glimmer of hope, once some of these districts/states begin, others may follow, once they realize the bogeyman is not there waiting at the door, much as the way CC began.
    After their fears were NOT realized, a lot of police chiefs, and polititians relented, and admitted they were fearful for no reason.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Buckeye Firearms in Ohio is offering a similar class.

FYI.

PM
    I was talking with the SRO at my sons Middle school; I was there for my son's 7th grade Basketball game and saw him dong his stand in the hall thing. Looked at him and joked about him working hard. He made a remark about that he was doing what he was paid to do. Iremarked about at least he was armed in the school. His next remarked floored me; he said that he thought teachers and other should be able to carry in the school; he conitnued "if the crazies and bad guys thought that there were armed teachers they (the crazies and BGs) would think twice about doing something stupid." Do not know how the other SRO in town feels but it is nice to know that he is all in favor of carry in school by others than LEOs. Actually most of the LEOs I spoken with have said they do not mind CC; they act like every one is armed as they approach till they know it is a GG or not.
    Aceoky, MamaMaria and msgt/ret like this.

Teachers In Ohio, Texas Flock To Free Gun Training Classes - Courant.com Invite them and they will come...It's so awesome to see these teachers to whom we entrust our children clamoring to learn how to keep them safe. It's a wonderful opportunity for teachers who may otherwise not known where to seek training, or were shy about learning about firearms safety and use.

So much for the nay-saying gun grabbers screaming "How dare you FORCE our teachers to arm themselves!" Appears like there's plenty of those ready, willing, and able to stand up and volunteer. Seems that anti-2A folk only understand the bullying ways they use to hammer across their agenda. Wake up gun grabbers--plenty of teachers, leaders, moms, dads, coaches, and those who understand the true responsibility of defending precious, innocent lives DON'T need to be forced to seek training and knowledge.
    Aceoky likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Seems like where these training classes are being offered to teachers, the classes are very full. That should tell you something.
    Sheriff Joe from Maricopa County had a good plug on the Piers Morgan show last night.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

10-4 on that.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

My wife is a HS teacher 11-12 graders and she has her CCL. I hope they give teachers the option to arm themselves. Gun free zones doesn't mean safety zones. People wouldn't be so quick to go shoot up a school if they know the staff is armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links