Defensive Carry banner

HOW do you RESPOND?

6K views 56 replies 41 participants last post by  MP.carrying.MP 
#1 ·
How do you respond when someone asks about your IWB holster clips that show on your belt?I'm still waiting on my CHL approval and haven't started carrying yet, but I know I have friends and coworkers who would be curious about visible holster clips and ask what I had on my belt. What do you say???Thanks!

Reactions: Flashburns
#34 ·
Why do y'all suppose these questions are always asked by folks who haven't started carrying a concealed handgun yet? Do your co-workers ask about the color of your shoelaces or the brand of aftershave you're wearing? My suggestion? Follow the legal requirements of concealed carry in a well-designed IWB holster for 6 months or so. When nobody looks, notices or says the first mumbling word about it, then relax. The truth is that you've very-likely been in close proximity to MANY FOLKS carrying a handgun & you've never noticed a thing. What makes you now think everyone ELSE is suddenly gonna' be so sharp & attentive?

Reactions: msgt/ret
#35 ·
I think you'll really be surprised at what people DON'T notice. However, I understand the desire to be discrete (concealed means concealed, right?). Depending on your situation, I'd suggest an IWB holster with velcro clips or a belly band for absolute discretion. Most IWB holsters I've seen have clips that can be swapped out.

#36 ·
For GOD Sake,

Out of kindness to your question, MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOT OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE CARRYING.

I don't care how close a family member, a friend or anyone for that matter is to me. I NEVER MAKE IT REVEALING OR KNOWN THAT I AM CARRYING. The whole purpose to conceal is to protect YOU and those around you..

#44 ·
If you're about to start carrying, the question you will really want answered is, how is it possible that no one notices this lump the size of a bowling ball tucked under my pants that's so heavy it's just about causing me to walk with a limp? Pretty soon you'll realize that you probably could stuff a bowling ball down your pants and hardly anyone would notice.

My advice to you is, start carrying your holster now. Just carrying it empty will help you get used to having something there, and get you started on the path of figuring out the proper placement. No law against carrying an empty holster that is concealed. Once you get your card in hand and get to stick a pistol in your holster, the clips will be the last thing on your mind until you get used to your new companion.

#48 ·
Good advice there on carrying the empty holster - I did that for a while before my card arrived and it helped me not only find a comfortable carry position, but also helped me realize that no one notices much.

No one has ever noticed mine or if they did they didn't ever say anything.

#45 ·
easy fix

If you wear a good belt, wear the clips on your pants behind your belt. It works fine and the holster clips are almost invisable. I have not yet had anyone notice my CBST clips, and I usually wear them on my belt. I also wear an untucked shirt or long sweat shirt. I was even patted down once prior to entering a concert. I had disarmed, but still wore my mag pouch. The security never mentioned it. Don't give yourself away by revealing "tells".

#47 ·
I carried at a company party. Tucked in dress shirt. No one said anything however I noticed 2 coworkers carrying. I bet they noticed me too. They had a desantis and a crossbreed iwb. I use a old faithful because they don't brand the clips.

#55 ·
And I just wanted to add...

My advice to anyone new to carrying concealed is to walk around the house with your CCW holstered, and have others check you to see whether or not it prints or is revealed. I noticed that a lot of the clothes that I own are fine as long as I'm not reaching for things above my head or bending over to pick up something. I now take all of this into consideration when purchasing new clothes and tend to purchase shirts that are longer, but not necessarily larger. For example, Eddie Bauer offers many of their shirts in a tall variety. I purchased this pullover that fits perfect in terms of size, but covers me all the way down past the openings of my pockets. I can reach for things over my head and it won't ride up over my belt line exposing the clips of the holster.

Keep that in mind when throwing on clothes for the day and you really shouldn't ever have an issue. Carrying a concealed weapon is a lifestyle. You should be prepared to adapt other things in your life around your CCW. It's similar to carrying a cell phone. It's pretty obvious that you would need to wear clothes with pockets if you intend on carrying it. With that said, the majority of people around you would probably never notice if your CCW prints anyway. But it is still your responsibility to make sure that it is concealed and stays concealed, especially if your state laws prohibit any kind of printing and considers it brandishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.