HOW do you RESPOND?

This is a discussion on HOW do you RESPOND? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jemsaal But what if she called your bluff? I guess I would have had to do a little show and tell, but ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: HOW do you RESPOND?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    But what if she called your bluff?
    I guess I would have had to do a little show and tell, but not about the clips. LOL
    Jemsaal likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

I carried at a company party. Tucked in dress shirt. No one said anything however I noticed 2 coworkers carrying. I bet they noticed me too. They had a desantis and a crossbreed iwb. I use a old faithful because they don't brand the clips.

HOW do you RESPOND?

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    If you're about to start carrying, the question you will really want answered is, how is it possible that no one notices this lump the size of a bowling ball tucked under my pants that's so heavy it's just about causing me to walk with a limp? Pretty soon you'll realize that you probably could stuff a bowling ball down your pants and hardly anyone would notice.

My advice to you is, start carrying your holster now. Just carrying it empty will help you get used to having something there, and get you started on the path of figuring out the proper placement. No law against carrying an empty holster that is concealed. Once you get your card in hand and get to stick a pistol in your holster, the clips will be the last thing on your mind until you get used to your new companion.
    Good advice there on carrying the empty holster - I did that for a while before my card arrived and it helped me not only find a comfortable carry position, but also helped me realize that no one notices much.

No one has ever noticed mine or if they did they didn't ever say anything.

"It holds tools."
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    What do you use?
    I have used this one quite a bit with tucked in shirts. In fact, I wore the first one out and am now on my second one.

It used to be called the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster when it was being marketed to law enforcement. Now it's called the CCW Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster. When I bought mine they were only available in white. Now they are available in black as well.

Don't let the photo on the website throw you. It actually carries the butt of the gun very tight against your body. I've also worn it with untucked T-Shirts and Polo shirts without printing. But it's great with button-up shirts and suits. Just leave the button across from the gun, unbuttoned. I've carried everything from a Ruger LCP, 3 inch Ruger Speed Six, SP-101, Glock 23, and now most recently full size M&P and M&P Shield.

You can get it here CCW Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster

I have since found this one below and I am anxious to try it out when I finally wear out the one above. But I have gotten great performance out of that one.

The new one I like by SpecGear is called the TRUSS (tactical retention undercover suspension system). Yeah, a long stupid name for sure, but check out the video on the website. While the one I have has a pocket for a knife or a single spare magazine, the TRUSS has several pockets to carry handcuffs, 2 spare magazines, knife, flashlight, mace, ASP baton or whatever you need. It has 7 or 8 additional accessory pouches.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have used this one quite a bit with tucked in shirts. In fact, I wore the first one out and am now on my second one.

It used to be called the Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster when it was being marketed to law enforcement. Now it's called the CCW Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster. When I bought mine they were only available in white. Now they are available in black as well.

Don't let the photo on the website throw you. It actually carries the butt of the gun very tight against your body. I've also worn it with untucked T-Shirts and Polo shirts without printing. But it's great with button-up shirts and suits. Just leave the button across from the gun, unbuttoned. I've carried everything from a Ruger LCP, 3 inch Ruger Speed Six, SP-101, Glock 23, and now most recently full size M&P and M&P Shield.

You can get it here CCW Ultra Concealment Shoulder Holster

I have since found this one below and I am anxious to try it out when I finally wear out the one above. But I have gotten great performance out of that one.

The new one I like by SpecGear is called the TRUSS (tactical retention undercover suspension system). Yeah, a long stupid name for sure, but check out the video on the website. While the one I have has a pocket for a knife or a single spare magazine, the TRUSS has several pockets to carry handcuffs, 2 spare magazines, knife, flashlight, mace, ASP baton or whatever you need. It has 7 or 8 additional accessory pouches.
    Obviously you are comfortable with your method of carry. I an very interested to hear your thoughts on how the trigger is protected while holstered. I would give this type of carry serious consideration if I was confident on the level of protection over the trigger. Right now I carry exclusively IWB in leather. Ive no comfort or printing issues now, but would like to try something different or have another option based on attire.
    Bark'n likes this.

If this is enough of a concern, I would strongly consider modifying or changing the method of carry altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    Obviously you are comfortable with your method of carry. I an very interested to hear your thoughts on how the trigger is protected while holstered. I would give this type of carry serious consideration if I was confident on the level of protection over the trigger. Right now I carry exclusively IWB in leather. Ive no comfort or printing issues now, but would like to try something different or have another option based on attire.
    In almost 12 years of using mine, I've never had an issue where I was afraid of a ND.

On a side note, for almost 8 years I was a certified law enforcement Defense Tactics and Ground Fighting instructor. In an effort to test the weapon retention capablility of the holster, I once wore it during one of my Ground Fighting Defense classes with an unloaded Glock 23. (This is essentially an 8 hour, full contact, grappling on the mat program).

Not only did the gun not fall out of the holster, but purely as happenstance I noted after the class that the trigger was still set and the striker still cocked. While I was not intending to be testing how the holster protected the trigger (I simply did not think of it at the time), I did notice that the trigger was still set when I went to load it after the course. It was one of those situations where I just said to myself... "Hmm, That's cool."

This has purely been my experience with the holster I posted a photo of in my post. I have noticed on the website for the SpecGear TRUSS holster that they recently started offering a Kydex insert for the TRUSS holster. However at this time the insert is only offered for a SIG P229. I'm sure they will offer more options in the future. (I have no idea whether anyone has had any issues with that or if they are just responding to customer requests).

For myself, while my impromptu test provides only anecdotal evidence of my experience with it, I'm completely confident there are no issues with the rig I use. I have not tried the TRUSS holster, but I like it and intend on buying one when my present one wears out.

I would also point out for you to read through the "customer comments" on the SpecGear website for the TRUSS holster. These are comments predominantly from law enforcement, and military personnel who are tactical operators and not your average civilian ccw carrier.

YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
    My advice to you is, start carrying your holster now. Just carrying it empty will help you get used to having something there, and get you started on the path of figuring out the proper placement. No law against carrying an empty holster that is concealed. Once you get your card in hand and get to stick a pistol in your holster, the clips will be the last thing on your mind until you get used to your new companion.
    Very good advice! I did this for a few days before my CCL showed up in the mail. The only thing I noticed is that the holster sat much different after my fully loaded CCW was added to the mix. I now had the additional weight of the pistol and ammunition to contend with, as well as the added printing of the grip. It wasn't until my CCW was holstered that I was able to experiment with different positions. And still to this day, those positions differ, depending on what type of clothes I wear.

And I just wanted to add...

My advice to anyone new to carrying concealed is to walk around the house with your CCW holstered, and have others check you to see whether or not it prints or is revealed. I noticed that a lot of the clothes that I own are fine as long as I'm not reaching for things above my head or bending over to pick up something. I now take all of this into consideration when purchasing new clothes and tend to purchase shirts that are longer, but not necessarily larger. For example, Eddie Bauer offers many of their shirts in a tall variety. I purchased this pullover that fits perfect in terms of size, but covers me all the way down past the openings of my pockets. I can reach for things over my head and it won't ride up over my belt line exposing the clips of the holster.

Keep that in mind when throwing on clothes for the day and you really shouldn't ever have an issue. Carrying a concealed weapon is a lifestyle. You should be prepared to adapt other things in your life around your CCW. It's similar to carrying a cell phone. It's pretty obvious that you would need to wear clothes with pockets if you intend on carrying it. With that said, the majority of people around you would probably never notice if your CCW prints anyway. But it is still your responsibility to make sure that it is concealed and stays concealed, especially if your state laws prohibit any kind of printing and considers it brandishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In almost 12 years of using mine, I've never had an issue where I was afraid of a ND.

On a side note, for almost 8 years I was a certified law enforcement Defense Tactics and Ground Fighting instructor. In an effort to test the weapon retention capablility of the holster, I once wore it during one of my Ground Fighting Defense classes with an unloaded Glock 23. (This is essentially an 8 hour, full contact, grappling on the mat program).

Not only did the gun not fall out of the holster, but purely as happenstance I noted after the class that the trigger was still set and the striker still cocked. While I was not intending to be testing how the holster protected the trigger (I simply did not think of it at the time), I did notice that the trigger was still set when I went to load it after the course. It was one of those situations where I just said to myself... "Hmm, That's cool."

This has purely been my experience with the holster I posted a photo of in my post. I have noticed on the website for the SpecGear TRUSS holster that they recently started offering a Kydex insert for the TRUSS holster. However at this time the insert is only offered for a SIG P229. I'm sure they will offer more options in the future. (I have no idea whether anyone has had any issues with that or if they are just responding to customer requests).

For myself, while my impromptu test provides only anecdotal evidence of my experience with it, I'm completely confident there are no issues with the rig I use. I have not tried the TRUSS holster, but I like it and intend on buying one when my present one wears out.

I would also point out for you to read through the "customer comments" on the SpecGear website for the TRUSS holster. These are comments predominantly from law enforcement, and military personnel who are tactical operators and not your average civilian ccw carrier.

YMMV.
    Thanks for the insight. I may give this a shot. I toyed with pocket carry of a CM9, but I just dont like things in my pockets short of keys and money clip.

Heck here in IL i've been wearing a OWB holster empty to silently protest their ban. Hardly anyone ever noticed it even being OWB. And the few that might jist a select few say something.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links