Defensive Carry banner

HOW do you RESPOND?

6K views 56 replies 41 participants last post by  MP.carrying.MP 
#1 ·
How do you respond when someone asks about your IWB holster clips that show on your belt?I'm still waiting on my CHL approval and haven't started carrying yet, but I know I have friends and coworkers who would be curious about visible holster clips and ask what I had on my belt. What do you say???Thanks!

Reactions: Flashburns
#4 ·
What msgt/ret said.

I also have had no comments. And the Crossbreed clips are a bit more eyecatching than others. They do tend to get covered a bit by the shirt being bloused out a bit, so they're shadowed.

If ever asked, and I couldn't just avoid the question, I might say, "They hold up a life support device." That, or my colostomy bag!

Reactions: 65108 and Jaybm
#6 ·
With all the people that carry cell phones, etc. in belt "holsters", it is unlikely that anyone would bother to ask, even if they did notice. But as others have said, it is unlikely that anyone will even notice. If anyone did ask, I'd simply tell them it is a devise to ensure I keep breathing and my heart beating.:yup:

Reactions: sdprof
#9 ·
I usually don't tuck my shirt in anyway, so it's a non issue.

But a few things you can do....

1- Blouse the shirt out over the belt.
2- Make sure the clips are the same color as your belt.
3- Look into J clips or velcro clips.
4- Get a clip less holster, remora, sticky, etc.
5- Pocket carry.

#10 ·
I had a woman barber ask what the black clips were for when I removed my jacket and, I politely told her that they helped hold my jock strap up and in place. She never said another word the rest of the time I was in the chair.

#11 ·
Whatever you do, be sure you respond IN ALL CAPS.

But seriously - people won't ask as often as you might think. I don't wear that type of holster, but I can't imagine someone (even someone I know) saying "By the way, what is that clip on your belt there?" It just wouldn't come up. But if it did - "It's a belt clip." Then you can redirect, change the subject, make up a story, tell the truth....whatever you want to do based on the person who's asking. It's a pretty personal question to ask someone - you've clearly been staring at their butt/belt/crotch long enough to notice something small that would normally go unnoticed.

Austin

#16 ·
At this time in our society, when there is a movement to display to society in general that normal, lawful people can and do carry firearms without incident......

Why would one choose to either not use such an encounter as a teaching moment, or be downright rude, is beyond me.

I personally do not fret if someone "outs" me. Its a firearm, you aren't kidnapping anyone.

#18 ·
Never had anyone notice either. What type clips do you have? Mine are the J-hook that goes between the pants and the belt then hooks.

#19 ·
I've only ever had one person ask about the belt clips. I was really, really just not trying at all to hide anything that day. He just looked at me kind of sly and asked something like "What are you carrying?" The look on his face told me he was cool so I just went with it. Told him what I had and he told me about the equipment in his camera bag that was strangely unrelated to photography...

Reactions: 65108
#21 ·
No one has ever mentioned it to me, but when I started wearing a Supertuck my wife's comment was that I looked like I had on a back stimulator unit. A good answer if it comes up.

I did switch out the CB metal clips for thinner plastic ones, I was concerned the logo on the metal clips would be more noticeable.

#22 ·
I've never been asked either. I don't carry at work, per policy, but I do have my holster on all day.

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator

#31 ·
I like tots...

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator

#28 ·
It has never happened to me I have one clip for a IWB holster and my shirt is always covering it.

#29 ·
I usually don't wear shirts tucked in, so that's not an issue.

When I do wear tucked in shirts, I use a different type of holster.

If I wore tucked in shirts on a regular basis, especially at work, I would buy a holster with Velcro clips and a Velcro lined belt.

Since tucked in shirts are a rare occurance, I use a different holster.

#32 ·
I wear a IWB holster daily for sometimes as long as 12 hours at a time. I do understand what your concern is and I have never have anyone to ask me BUT my first IWB holster was a Crossbreed and the embellished belt clips to me were very noticeable, they did stand out, especially when the light caught them just right. Three years ago I purchased a Galco King Tuk and to me it’s just as comfortable but with much less noticeable belt clips. I have a friend who actually paints his clips to match his belts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.