Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun??? - Page 2

Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KBSR Carry the Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm in right front pocket, all the time. Ankle holsters are too hard to draw ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Carry the Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm in right front pocket, all the time. Ankle holsters are too hard to draw from, and will be spotted when you set down. Been there done that (on an airplane no less).
    This is one I had not thought of, thank you. Will be sure to take a look.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I have recently purchased a KAHR CM9 for my EDC. Paid $389. 9mm 3" barrel. 15.8 OZ. empty. Carries six rounds in magazine. You can get an extended one with 7 round capacity.
    I carry it in a Galco Stow and Go IWB. at 2:00 $30. I run Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. as that seems to be the ammo that the gun prefers.

This is the less cosmetic version of the CM9, but sells for a couple of hundred dollars less. You can read the reviews like I did for all of the
    salient facts.

Prior to this I was carrying the SW99 in 9 MM but it was hard to conceal so I didn't have it on me at all times.

Thinking about an ankle holster for warmer weather, Pocket Holster if wearing shorts.

This one (KAHR) is light easily concealable, comfortable and thus far very reliable. I now carry 98% of the time instead of the 75% with the SW99.
    Handled these pretty extensive, no had the chance to rent on yet. Was very impressed with how balanced the CM9 felt. Just a matter of if it would fit in the front pocket or not.

NRA

Should also mention, 90% of the time I wear a low rise, straight leg, either straight cut or boot cut jean. Either Levi's 527 or American Eagle. Don't do the tight jeans or skinny or whatever they're called.

The more and more I read, the more I am leaning towards a wheel gun as my BUG. Still more than open to the SA.

Surprised no one has brought up the Diamondback DB9. Maybe everyone else dislikes this gun as much as I do. Or the KelTec PF9. Have only heard good about this little guy though...

NRA

Re: Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

When wearing slacks or jeans, the leg slides up a bit when seated. You can combat it, by continuously pulling the trouser leg down, but eventually you'll forget about it, and someone will see the gun. Remain standing all the time, and it's not a problem. It is a huge problem if you have to draw from it though, because unless you train, all the time, it's a very awkward movement.
    Yeah, I still don't have that problem. I was seated for three hours waiting for surgery to finish, no further riding than bottom of ankle bone. Could have something to do with where you wear your pants on waist. I'm a fit body type so they wear below the hip bone.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

When wearing slacks or jeans, the leg slides up a bit when seated. You can combat it, by continuously pulling the trouser leg down, but eventually you'll forget about it, and someone will see the gun. Remain standing all the time, and it's not a problem. It is a huge problem if you have to draw from it though, because unless you train, all the time, it's a very awkward movement.

I related this story in another post, but many years ago, the security alarm went off at our business (undercover offsite storefront). One of my buddies responded to the alarm, only to be robbed at gunpoint. My buddy NEVER wore an ankle holster again, for the rest of his career. Having a gun on you, does no good, if you can't access it, in your time of need. If it works for you though, and you're happy with it, by all means do it.
    Exactly!

I had a friend shot 3 times and almost killed because he carried in an ankle holster.

To meet your requirements I would go Smith air-weight AIWB.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Exactly!

I had a friend shot 3 times and almost killed because he carried in an ankle holster.

To meet your requirements I would go Smith air-weight AIWB.
    Not looking to carry another gun IWB.. looking for ankle or pocket. Leaning toward front pocket. Smith air-weight is tops or a slim single stack semi-auto

Thanks for feedback!

NRA

Re: Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    Not looking to carry another gun IWB.. looking for ankle or pocket. Leaning toward front pocket. Smith air-weight is tops or a slim single stack semi-auto

Thanks for feedback!
    People seem to completely overlook that you intend this as a backup gun. Renders most of these comments about access pretty irrelevant. Typical online experience.

Something to think about, why would you need your backup?

- Because the first is empty? Why not just stick an extra mag in the pocket and go?

- Because you don't have access to the first? Well why wouldn't you have access to your waist carry? Is it because you're in a position that prevents it? So what would be a position that would lead to this and where then would you have access to? Ankle is the best backup spot, not pocket. If you can get to your pocket you can more easily get to your waistline. If you can't you're probably fetal and already grabbing your ankles.

Next thing to consider would be which ankle? Off hand access or primary? What if the reason you can't get to your IWB is because that arm/hand is unavailable or incapacitated, wouldn't you then want it available to the off hand?

Just some things to mull over.

Make sense? Lesson over. Lol ;D

you really can't go wrong with the lcr,i carry mine most often in my right front pocket in a Desantis Nemesis..since your looking for backup,i'd recommend you go light as possible while stayimg in your preferred caliber..the lcr weighs in around 13.50ozs and handles +p...check one out

I would recommend pocket carry, and either the LCR with the boot grip or S&W 442/642. I don't pocket carry so I am by no means an expert, but from the little experimenting I have done those compact revolvers don't print as much as the small semi's I used (less solid straight lines)
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    My recommendation is to get another of the one you are carrying now and mirror carry it on the other side.
    DandLfam and Hopyard like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Ankle carry is more workable when seated, most particularly in vehicles, at which time pocket carry is slow to access. When walking and standing, pocket carry has advantages, while the ankle is not readily accessible. One possibility, for optimal access in both circumstances, is a secondary gun worn in the pocket, and another on the ankle. Another path is to switch the secondary gun back and forth, as one exits and enters the vehicle. I have done this, from time to time.

If there is a better ankle/pocket gun than the small-frame .38 revolver, I don't know what it would be. I have used SP101 snubbies in both roles, but something like an S&W 642/442 or Ruger LCR is going to fit more pockets, and be easier to tolerate on the ankle.

I used ankle carry extensively in the past, but much less often lately, largely because the duty pants approved by my employer expanded, several years ago, to include pants with well-thought-out, supportive cargo pockets, that accomodate SP101 snubbies, without the flopping-about allowed by most cargo pants. (VertX)

These days, I use ankle carry only for special occasions, not general daily carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My recommendation is to get another of the one you are carrying now and mirror carry it on the other side.
    ^^^This

NRA

Kind of like a kettle calling a pot black, ehh?

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    I currently carrying my M&P9c 90% of the time. I also however have been carrying my SP101 3" some of the time. As far as pockets go, I carry my cell in front left, knife and chapstick front right, wallet back right, nothing in back left. If you are recommending pocket carry, I plan to carry in my front right. If you are recommending ankle, I plan to carry inside left ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    People seem to completely overlook that you intend this as a backup gun. Renders most of these comments about access pretty irrelevant. Typical online experience.

Something to think about, why would you need your backup?

Next thing to consider would be which ankle? Off hand access or primary? What if the reason you can't get to your IWB is because that arm/hand is unavailable or incapacitated, wouldn't you then want it available to the off hand?

Just some things to mull over.

Make sense? Lesson over. Lol ;D

To answer other questions:
    Why do I need a backup gun? My m&p9c has never had a ftf, fte, anything of the such. As much as I trust this thing and don't anticipate a problem, I want to be ready if the situation so arises.

NRA

Rexster-

Thank you for the tips. All valid points I need to think of. The models you advised are all ones I have been checking out. I just like the idea of a revolver as a BUG. This is why I love DC, looks at things I normally wouldn't.

All feedback has been much appreciated!

NRA

I have a Kahr P380, and pocket carry it frequently in my right rear pocket in an Uncle George's wallet holster. I've also carried it in my right front pocket, in a DeSantis Nemesis, but the Uncle George's is more comfortable. The draw from pocket carry, while a little awkward, is preferable to drawing from an ankle holster (unless you're sitting down).
    Hopyard likes this.
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links