Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As of recently, I've become more and more in "need" of a BUG. As stated in the title, I don't know yet which would be ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

As of recently, I've become more and more in "need" of a BUG. As stated in the title, I don't know yet which would be more effective for myself in terms of methods of carry.

The gun I choose will have a lot of say in what style I choose to carry my BUG. With that being said, here are my guidelines for my BUG:

-$500 or less
    -9mm or .357/.38
    -Must be 5 rounds min.
    -Strongly prefer American made
    ---Smith first
    ---Ruger second
    -No first year guns
    ---Must be a gun that has been out for at least a year

I currently carrying my M&P9c 90% of the time. I also however have been carrying my SP101 3" some of the time. As far as pockets go, I carry my cell in front left, knife and chapstick front right, wallet back right, nothing in back left. If you are recommending pocket carry, I plan to carry in my front right. If you are recommending ankle, I plan to carry inside left ankle.

Dress attire: I wear boots a lot. I do wear tennis shoes now and then, especially when warmer, but as I wear jeans a majority of the time, ankle is not going to be tough to conceal.

What I'm asking: a gun you recommend and how you would recommend it per my stipulations.

Thanks DC peeps,
    Derrick
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

2. Remove Ads

I do both most of the time but EDC is front pocket with a .380
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Gun recommendations?

NRA

VIP Member
    Smith and Wesson ( 38 spec plus P) airweight in an ankle hoster! Gun, holster and ammo should be well under $500.00

Re: Ankle Carry vs. Front Pocket Carry & Which Gun???

The Ruger LCP is hard to beat for pocket carry. It is chambered in .380 though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Smith and Wesson ( 38 spec plus P) airweight in an ankle hoster! Gun, holster and ammo should be well under $500.00
    This is one I've shot and handled a lot. Kind of what I'm leaning toward. I believe the 442.. airweight in black. Appreciate the feedback!

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Yes, i'm a LCP fan too. Don't want to get too many calibers. I carry 9mm and .357, would like to stay in the 9 or 357/38 platform. Any other suggestions?

NRA

Lc9 then. Seacamp 9mm?

I did the BUG for a while, until I realized I was being ridiculous and paranoid and overthetop, but that's just me and my situation/circumstance.

I did a 9mm derringer on ankle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Go for the LC9 then. Depending on your size... it's pocket carryable. I carry it in my pocket all the time. 7+1, 9mm can't be beat.

Senior Moderator
    My EDC is .357 snubnose (Taurus 605) in my right front pocket. If you want a S&W I would recommend a model 649 or 60
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd say the LC9 or Shield 9 then. What about the LCR?

Carry the Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm in right front pocket, all the time. Ankle holsters are too hard to draw from, and will be spotted when you set down. Been there done that (on an airplane no less).
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Carry the Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm in right front pocket, all the time. Ankle holsters are too hard to draw from, and will be spotted when you set down. Been there done that (on an airplane no less).
    I think it has a lot to do with clothing. You must be a highwaters guy because neither in my jeans nor slacks did my ankle BUG show. In fact, right now sitting down, with low top Keds and jeans my socks just barely show and my ankle bone, which was anyways below where my BIG rode, is completely covered.

And for reference my cuffs don't drag, I wear Levi 505s, straight leg, size 34x34 and I'm 6'1".

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I have recently purchased a KAHR CM9 for my EDC. Paid $389. 9mm 3" barrel. 15.8 OZ. empty. Carries six rounds in magazine. You can get an extended one with 7 round capacity.
    I carry it in a Galco Stow and Go IWB. at 2:00 $30. I run Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. as that seems to be the ammo that the gun prefers.

This is the less cosmetic version of the CM9, but sells for a couple of hundred dollars less. You can read the reviews like I did for all of the
    salient facts.

Prior to this I was carrying the SW99 in 9 MM but it was hard to conceal so I didn't have it on me at all times.

Thinking about an ankle holster for warmer weather, Pocket Holster if wearing shorts.

This one (KAHR) is light easily concealable, comfortable and thus far very reliable. I now carry 98% of the time instead of the 75% with the SW99.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I think it has a lot to do with clothing. You must be a highwaters guy because neither in my jeans nor slacks did my ankle BUG show. In fact, right now sitting down, with low top Keds and jeans my socks just barely show and my ankle bone, which was anyways below where my BIG rode, is completely covered.

And for reference my cuffs don't drag, I wear Levi 505s, straight leg, size 34x34 and I'm 6'1".

When wearing slacks or jeans, the leg slides up a bit when seated. You can combat it, by continuously pulling the trouser leg down, but eventually you'll forget about it, and someone will see the gun. Remain standing all the time, and it's not a problem. It is a huge problem if you have to draw from it though, because unless you train, all the time, it's a very awkward movement.

I related this story in another post, but many years ago, the security alarm went off at our business (undercover offsite storefront). One of my buddies responded to the alarm, only to be robbed at gunpoint. My buddy NEVER wore an ankle holster again, for the rest of his career. Having a gun on you, does no good, if you can't access it, in your time of need. If it works for you though, and you're happy with it, by all means do it.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links