Need suggestions for my left handed girlfriend.

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for my left handed girlfriend. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by IronicOutlook Preferred price under $400 I personally have no issue with her using an older gun as long as it's something she's ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Need suggestions for my left handed girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by IronicOutlook View Post
    Preferred price under $400
    I personally have no issue with her using an older gun as long as it's something she's comfortable with and has the ability to actually come up with replacement parts.
    You might consider looking into the Smith & Wesson third-generation pistols, in the 3900, 5900 and 6900 series.

The 3G series is discontinued, but there were many of them on the market and lots of police/sheriff departments across the country used them as duty weapons. They're known to be incredibly reliable, durable. Because so many were built, generally parts and finding a competent gunsmith to work on them isn't a problem. Many can be found for under your $400 limit.

Check the 3913 variants, including the 3953 and 3954 DAO models. Great pistols. And they can be excellent for smaller hands, too. Particularly the 3953/3954 DAO models, which have no manual thumb safety on the slide to fumble with or reach.

For the 3953, for example, you can find several police trade-ins available in GunsAmerica listings. Spare magazines are readily available at the online "parts" sites (ie, MidwayUSA, Brownell's), and replacement springs are available through Wolff Gunsprings.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sorry, I cannot get past the title of this thread.

Based on what I've read so far - a Glock 19 would be a good choice.

But seriously....my wife has a G26. She likes it. It's small, but can take whatever size magazine she wants to carry it with. The slide lock isn't for releasing the slide. That is "fine motor skill" vs "gross motor skill" - get in the habit of pull the slide back to release it. As for ambi mag release - lefties are better off adapting. You can use your index finger to release the mag. Most peoples' thumbs are too short to reach the normal mag release without changing their grip anyways....

For purse carry, look into something to keep the trigger protected. My wife has a Vanguard 2 lanyard thingy on her trigger when her gun goes in her purse. I'm working on getting her to carry on the body....slow going.

Austin

We went to another local store with a bit more diverse selection this morning. She decided on a Bersa Thunder 380 concealed carry. She can operate all functions with her left hand, likes the size a lot better than the LCP, and the price is right compared to the other shop in town that has everything priced to take advantage of the current panic buying.

I've never held a Bersa before but I really like the way it feels and may buy one too so we can have standardized ammo and magazines for our concealed carry.

I was really impressed with the pro series 40 they had. Feels like a very good quality gun.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

If your ok with 380 the Walter ppk has no slide release its just pull straight back and release after mag swap the mag release is high enough for easy release with trigger finger for a lefty I normally use mine as back up and set it for left hand use

Have to agree with a previous post, seems easier to simply change...girlfriends. But if you've got one that suits ya', the Bersa should work well for her. Now, get her some quality training that does NOT include you being anywhere around. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's on the larger side of the fence, but the FN's are fully ambi. Slide lock, mag release, safety/decocker are all identical on both sides. I'm an ambi shooter and love the FN for that reason. I dont have a dominant / weak hand, so I swap all the time. The FNX 9 works just as well in either hand. It's light for its size, and I feel its way more ergonomic than the glocks / xd's etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Have to agree with a previous post, seems easier to simply change...girlfriends. But if you've got one that suits ya', the Bersa should work well for her. Now, get her some quality training that does NOT include you being anywhere around. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
    Fantastic advice, Ghost Tracker! The only and best advice my husband gave me was the address to his favorite LGS and the "nothing less than .380 caliber" rule; I was on my own from there, lol! I cannot emphasize enough the value of paying someone else (and qualified) to teach firearms use and safety, whether you're new or experienced, young or old, or male or female.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Thanks MamaM. Mrs. Ghost Tracker can run a G19 like Gaston's little sister. I want my person backup to be as well-trained as I can GET HER TRAINED!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I am a Lefty also and have both the SR9c and the Bersa T40UC Pro both are ambi and great to shoot and carry.

Just wanted to give an update.

We picked up the Thunder 380 on Friday and took it out before she had to go to work.

She needs to work on her eye dominance because at about 15 ft she was shooting 6" groups. I know with practice this will get much better.

I have considerably larger hands (Sig 226 feels like an extension of my own body) but I loved the way her Bersa feels. I could speed my way through all 8 rounds and hit in 2"-3" groupings.

I am thinking about picking up one for myself. Maybe even the plus with 15 rd mag.

Weapons buying isn't a monthly budget item and I'd like to have the same ammo types for our handguns.

Oh yeah...we are looking forward to CC classes in the spring. :)

It would be worth looking into methods of determining eye-dominance and verifying it. With her being a lefty there is a chance for no dominant eye or right eye dominance.

I actually mentioned it to my eye doctor and after she checked it...my dominance is only slighty left.

It would be worth looking into methods of determining eye-dominance and verifying it. With her being a lefty there is a chance for no dominant eye or right eye dominance.

I actually mentioned it to my eye doctor and after she checked it...my dominance is only slighty left.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links