1911 Platform VS Glock Platform - Page 3

1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

This is a discussion on 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both Glock's and 1911's. I carry a 1911 everywhere I go. Glock's I prefer 9mm and 1911's I only buy 45acp. Everyone keeps ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

I own both Glock's and 1911's. I carry a 1911 everywhere I go. Glock's I prefer 9mm and 1911's I only buy 45acp. Everyone keeps saying the Glock is easy to detail strip and I won't argue about that but when you learn the 1911 it is just as easy to detail strip as the Glock. Most quality 1911's work, (most) Glocks work, I say most Glock's because I have witnessed several Gen4 19's and 17's that will not eject reliably. I have fired over 5000 rounds through my Glock 19 and have never had a malfunction. I have also fired several thousand round with my 1911's, some have had issues while others have not. Yes a quality 1911 is going to cost you the price of a few Glocks, I have more in my carry 1911 than I do in 4 Glocks. I have both and enjoy both, but I prefer my 1911's, of those I prefer my Les Baer with 1400 trouble free rounds and counting.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    What ever ya like, but for me its all about the trigger.

That's why I like the 1911. Like to hit what I'm shooting at.
    Aceoky likes this.

I like both the GLOCK and 1911 platforms; I own and carry both. Each has their differences, but the one top thing I like about carrying each without going into anything functional is the 1911 carries very well due to it's slim, flat profile, the GLOCK's biggest benefit while carrying is it's light weight.

I have Glocks and 1911s. I prefer to carry a 1911 and do so way more than I carry a Glock. The three main resons I prefer to carry a 1911 over a Glock are (1) Comfort. The 1911 is just way more comfortable for me to carry. (2) Manual safety. I carry around my farm and probably draw and shoot more in my day to day activities than the average person does. Quite often from the seat of a tractor. I feel more confident drawing, shooting and re-holstering on a tight tractor seat with a manual safety or an exposed hammer double action than I do with Glock. (3) I feel that a 1911 conceals better for me than a Glock. None of this may apply to you, just what works for me. There are times when I prefer carrying a Glock,but not often. I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my Glocks and replacing them with firearms with a decocker.
    kmagnuss and Devilsclaw like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Attachment 66452Am I really the only one that finds that sexy?

Make than a Gen 4 G19 and I'm with ya....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I've owned and carried Glock 19s, 23s, 22s, 21s and 33s, and I've owned and carried Colt, Kimber and Springfield 1911s. I have shot both platforms enough to be equally proficient with them. Sure, the Glocks are the simplest pistols to use and maintain, but most will be able to shoot more accurately with a 1911 due to its inherently better trigger pull. The 1911 platform is also far safer, in my humble opinion, due to it's thumb safety, grip safety, and the fact that it cannot be fired unless it is fully in battery. I've had an AD with a Glock 33 that took about a third of my upper leg off. Had the gun been a 1911, the AD would most likely not have happened. Because of that, I no longer own any Glocks (their "safe action system" allowed my AD to occur). I carry only 1911s (an aluminum-framed, 4" barreled version for warm weather carry, and a full-size carbon steel version for all other times). I'll admit that I've never dropped a 1911 or drug one over gravel behind my pickup truck or soaked one in mud overnight. How many people do? My Springfield TRP and my Springfield LW Champion Operator have always gone "bang!" when I pulled their triggers, and the bullets have always hit right where I've aimed. That's good enough for me.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I find a single stack easier to conceal. I love the way my 1911 shoots. For me it is a little cumbersome taking it on and off with all of the gun free zones that I encounter daily, but that would pretty much be the same for a glock.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    ... The 1911 platform is also far safer, in my humble opinion, due to it's thumb safety, grip safety, and the fact that it cannot be fired unless it is fully in battery. I've had an AD with a Glock 33 that took about a third of my upper leg off. Had the gun been a 1911, the AD would most likely not have happened. Because of that, I no longer own any Glocks (their "safe action system" allowed my AD to occur). I carry only 1911s ...
    Would you mind expanding on the accident? Just curious as to how these things happen.

I have carried both and am indifferent in regards to the safety advantages of either.
    TY54712

A lot of people talk about torcher test. My 1911's have all passed my torcher test, it consist of firing lot of rounds. Glocks may fire after being buried with sand and drug behind a truck and thats all good. I don't kow if my 1911's will do that but they do run plenty dirty at the range. If my Les Baer is ever buried in sand or drug behind a truck then chances are I've already been killed in which case I don't care if it's still working or not.
    kmagnuss and Aceoky like this.
    Les Baer Custom Carry, Kimber Pro Carry II, Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, Springfield Loaded "N", Springfield Loaded "NM", Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Would you mind expanding on the accident? Just curious as to how these things happen.

I have carried both and am indifferent in regards to the safety advantages of either.
    This is my original post on the incident:
    Don't ever let your guard down!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

At Clipdraw… For Secure Carry Without a Holster, they have a Glock trigger safety device they call Saf-T-Blok. it fits in behind the trigger, and your finger pops it out when you are ready to shoot. I have one and it does work well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    This is my original post on the incident:
    Don't ever let your guard down!
    Wow. That's quite an ordeal. First off, I'm glad you made it though that incident. It sounds like it could have turned out much worse for you. Thankfully, you made it and everyone else can take something away from that incident.

Secondly though, how exactly do you come to the determination that the Glock allowed your AD to happen? I'm not bashing you, but the firearm did exactly what it was supposed to do, unless you are saying that the firearm discharged without your involvement.

Thanks for the post about it, I missed it when you originally posted it and those are the sorts of things that all of us that handle firearms regularly should read and learn from!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I like & shoot both, too hard to choose, so........G19 on odd days, 1911 on even...

IMGP6492.jpg
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    At Clipdraw… For Secure Carry Without a Holster, they have a Glock trigger safety device they call Saf-T-Blok. it fits in behind the trigger, and your finger pops it out when you are ready to shoot. I have one and it does work well.
    Problem with the Saf-T-Blok is that you can only pop it out one way. If you need to use your off hand - you're screwed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I own and carry both. I like my 1911 for some occasions, and I like my G19 for others.
    68blackbird likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links