1911 Platform VS Glock Platform - Page 4

1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

This is a discussion on 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TX expat Wow. That's quite an ordeal. First off, I'm glad you made it though that incident. It sounds like it could ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Wow. That's quite an ordeal. First off, I'm glad you made it though that incident. It sounds like it could have turned out much worse for you. Thankfully, you made it and everyone else can take something away from that incident.

Secondly though, how exactly do you come to the determination that the Glock allowed your AD to happen? I'm not bashing you, but the firearm did exactly what it was supposed to do, unless you are saying that the firearm discharged without your involvement.

Thanks for the post about it, I missed it when you originally posted it and those are the sorts of things that all of us that handle firearms regularly should read and learn from!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the Glock, and I'm still a big fan of them. But the reason I say a 1911 might have prevented the accident is that when I placed the Glock 33 on the armrest, it was pointing across my lap when I sat down. When I touched the pistol, my thumb landed on the trigger, and when I instinctively squeezed, the gun fired (as it should have). I know this because when I woke up, my thumb was still in the trigger guard. Had it been a 1911, I'd have hopefully had the manual safety engaged, and even if I did not, the grip safety would probably still have likely prevented the shot.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

The biggest "difference" you notice right away is thickness. The Defender is much thinner. Both very well made, both really great pistols. I much prefer to carry the Colt, but I shoot the Glock better. If the chips were really down, I'd probably choose the Glock, but not by much. Pride of ownership goes to the Colt hands down. Boils down to whichever you like best--or just get both! Give one to your wife, to keep you outta trouble. :)

VIP Member

1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the Glock, and I'm still a big fan of them. But the reason I say a 1911 might have prevented the accident is that when I placed the Glock 33 on the armrest, it was pointing across my lap when I sat down. When I touched the pistol, my thumb landed on the trigger, and when I instinctively squeezed, the gun fired (as it should have). I know this because when I woke up, my thumb was still in the trigger guard. Had it been a 1911, I'd have hopefully had the manual safety engaged, and even if I did not, the grip safety would probably still have likely prevented the shot.
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Attachment 66452

Am I really the only one that finds that sexy?
    I love the way the Glocks look IMO. I've never fired a 1911 so I'm not sure on the reliability of them. I would love to build one from scratch and see how it does.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I prefer the Glock for many of the reasons given. I prefer the reliability, the ability to use a larger magazine, and the ability to customize it so easily.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    I've owned and carried Glock 19s, 23s, 22s, 21s and 33s, and I've owned and carried Colt, Kimber and Springfield 1911s. I have shot both platforms enough to be equally proficient with them. Sure, the Glocks are the simplest pistols to use and maintain, but most will be able to shoot more accurately with a 1911 due to its inherently better trigger pull. The 1911 platform is also far safer, in my humble opinion, due to it's thumb safety, grip safety, and the fact that it cannot be fired unless it is fully in battery. I've had an AD with a Glock 33 that took about a third of my upper leg off. Had the gun been a 1911, the AD would most likely not have happened. Because of that, I no longer own any Glocks (their "safe action system" allowed my AD to occur). I carry only 1911s (an aluminum-framed, 4" barreled version for warm weather carry, and a full-size carbon steel version for all other times). I'll admit that I've never dropped a 1911 or drug one over gravel behind my pickup truck or soaked one in mud overnight. How many people do? My Springfield TRP and my Springfield LW Champion Operator have always gone "bang!" when I pulled their triggers, and the bullets have always hit right where I've aimed. That's good enough for me.
    It wasn't an accidental discharge but a negligent discharge. That is important to note.
    smolck likes this.

Safeties are one of the big reasons I went with a 1911. The grip safety is something that you will automatically engage, and its easy to form habits to sweep the thumb safety off, but together those two make it awfully hard for that gun to accidentally go off. I might look at the .45 in either of those guns, the 9mm mags are a bit harder to find. The glocks do require less work, but it's not like the 1911 is rocket science. They are still plenty easy to take apart, and as long as you keep your gun relatively clean they work pretty dang well. I own a kimber pro carry 9mm, and I have shot close to 3,000 rounds out of it, and I have had 7 FTE with it, and 6 of those were WWB. All of the 1911's I have shot did not like WWB though.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Make than a Gen 4 G19 and I'm with ya....
    I specifically bought it BECAUSE it is a gen 3, so it's staying that way
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Safeties are one of the big reasons I went with a 1911. The grip safety is something that you will automatically engage, and its easy to form habits to sweep the thumb safety off, but together those two make it awfully hard for that gun to accidentally go off.
    I have highlighted (bold) the opposing views, conveniently located in the same sentence.  :)

I understand your thinking but please don’t assume the safeties on a 1911 will save your bacon. Your words, “automatically engage”, “easy…to sweep”, do not lend themselves to making it “hard” to have an accident.
    TY54712

I own Glocks, Sigs, CZ's and one Colt Commander 1911. All these pistols can be very reliable...., but it looks to me like 1911's appeal to people who like to tinker with/and or customize their firearms. Much like a shadetree mechanic tinkers with his/her 1957 Chevy, many 1911 owners are busy customizing, tuning and generally tinkering with their pistols. If you like to tinker, customize and generally "mess with" your car......a 1911 may appeal to you. Nothing shoots like a 1911, but that accuracy comes with a price. Now if you want a pistol solely for self defense.....that is, you want it to be reliable and dependable without tinkering with it, than I believe there are better choices. All of the polymer wonders are sufficiently accurate for self defense and most are easy to field strip, detail strip and maintain without affecting reliability. Some will argue at 1911's are just as easy to detail strip.....maybe so, but there are more things to go wrong. A Glock, Sig, CZ, Smith and Wesson M&P, etc can be expected to work right out of the box. With a generic 1911, the same may not happen.....not without some tuning and adjustment. Me, I love my Colt, but I carry my Sig. To me the Sig is the perfect compromise between the 1911 and a Glock. My Carry model has nearly the same dimensions as a 1911 Commander size 1911.....it has the same capacity (8+1), and has never missed a lick. I think everyone should own a 1911, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for carry by the masses..... Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree.

I bought a 1911 in 10mm today. I'm carrying a Sig 1911 now. I brought my lunch to work in tupperware. I drove to work in a steel car.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Own and carry both. Depends on the user of the equipment
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    At Clipdraw… For Secure Carry Without a Holster, they have a Glock trigger safety device they call Saf-T-Blok. it fits in behind the trigger, and your finger pops it out when you are ready to shoot. I have one and it does work well.
    Ummm isn't that what a safety is for on the 1911 platform ?
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Safeties are one of the big reasons I went with a 1911..
    Funny enough, this is one of the reasons I stopped carrying a 1911. When you really listen to the experts who train thousands of students annually, they will tell you not having to manipulate safeties is a big advantage in a SD shooting. I have 1911's, and love them, no doubt. But see no advantage to carrying one over my Glock. I guess I am in the minority but I do not have a great fear of my weapon when it is locked and loaded. I do not worry about it magically going off (accidentally or negligently) because I have the proper gear to ensure it doesn't. And I keep my stinking finger off the trigger until I am on target. So the topic of discussion in this thread for me would only be on the merit of the two weapons and which to carry based on other factors, not which one is "safer". They are both 100% safe. I've carried both extensively and neither one has put a hole down my leg.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I got a Colt New Agewnt just before Xmas and have been out to the range twice. I'm breaking it before I see how accurate it is but it's feed the FMJ reloads I have w/o a burble. The 2 Colt magazines that came w/ it don't drop out but the McCormick ones do. Maybe a function of break in. It's lighter than my all steel STI Ranger and has more 'apparent' recoil ie I wear a shooting glove when shooting more than 50 rounds. Plan to keep it and am thinking of a couple of items to customize while keeping the collectibility aspect of a fine pistol.

cookfromAZ

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links