1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

This is a discussion on 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If its for concealed, then weight may be a concern with the 1911. I like carrying my Glock since its easy to conceal and the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

If its for concealed, then weight may be a concern with the 1911. I like carrying my Glock since its easy to conceal and the frame doesn't require a lot of concern over what I wear to make it comfortable. I did learn one thing with even a compact Glock (let alone the 1911 frame), don't use a holster that places the butt of the gun near your back if you have to sit in public transportation. Sitting a train for an hour, you can end up with a literal pain in the backside.

Definitely, a Glock.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform. Used them for many years. Even carried a full size for a short time. Mostly though I liked them for range time. Then I got arthritis in my hands. Shooting 45s got to be interesting sometimes. Hanging on was a bit difficult. But mostly it was painful.

I did the big switch in 2008 to Glock. 9mm is much easier for me to control. Love the Glock platform almost as much as the 1991 platform. Now Glock is the do all gun for me. I've got 2 that serve me well.

You just got to find the hammer that works for you! There really is no " one is better than the other" .
    Question Everything!

I have a Glock 36 and a kimber ultra carry II. I compared the way they shoot and for me the Kimber shoots rings around the Glock. but this is a personal choice and one you will have to make for yourself. I fell in love with the 1911 platform just last year and can't see how I went all this time without it.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I have a Glock 36 and a kimber ultra carry II. I compared the way they shoot and for me the Kimber shoots rings around the Glock. but this is a personal choice and one you will have to make for yourself. I fell in love with the 1911 platform just last year and can't see how I went all this time without it.
    No question the Kimber will be more accurate for most. For one it is an amazing gun, for two, it has a single action trigger. For me, the tipping point that changed me from carrying my Pro Carry 2 to a Glock 27 was mainly capacity and size. So much easier to conceal the Glock in my world.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I didn't read all the post. But I agree it depends on what it's for. IME my 1911 are more accurate. But I ccw Glocks.....until now. Now I'm carrying a Xds. But thats why I own 1911s ,Glocks and now Xds. I don't think one size fits all. It's use.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I bought a 1911 in 10mm today. I'm carrying a Sig 1911 now. I brought my lunch to work in tupperware. I drove to work in a steel car.
    Years ago your car had crank windows and no AC too. Does it still? No, technology.

You can't deny the practicality, durability, reliability and track record of the polymer Glocks, you just can't.

Each has advantages. Choose the one you are more comfortable with and shoot better, but please don't start bashing something for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    I have highlighted (bold) the opposing views, conveniently located in the same sentence.  :)

I understand your thinking but please don’t assume the safeties on a 1911 will save your bacon. Your words, “automatically engage”, “easy…to sweep”, do not lend themselves to making it “hard” to have an accident.
    They do make it harder when two of those things must happen in order for the gun to fire. The grip safety is there into ensure you are gripping the gun with enough force to want it to fire.

I own both but carry a S&W 4606 more (when not carrying my airweight J frame)because its slimmer and easier to conceal at 4 o'clock. It is heavier, but lays much flatter against my body and i can de-cock it. I love my Glock 19, but hardly ever carry it because the boxy build of it does not conceal well on me. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    This is my original post on the incident:
    Don't ever let your guard down!
    Glad you are ok, but I thought Glock owners always swear that the gun won't fire if the trigger isn't pulled. I assume in your waking up, you didn't inadvertently stick your finger between the trigger and guard and pull the trigger with the 5 lbs of pull it requires.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the Glock, and I'm still a big fan of them. But the reason I say a 1911 might have prevented the accident is that when I placed the Glock 33 on the armrest, it was pointing across my lap when I sat down. When I touched the pistol, my thumb landed on the trigger, and when I instinctively squeezed, the gun fired (as it should have). I know this because when I woke up, my thumb was still in the trigger guard. Had it been a 1911, I'd have hopefully had the manual safety engaged, and even if I did not, the grip safety would probably still have likely prevented the shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Glad you are ok, but I thought Glock owners always swear that the gun won't fire if the trigger isn't pulled. I assume in your waking up, you didn't inadvertently stick your finger between the trigger and guard and pull the trigger with the 5 lbs of pull it requires.
    See his reply above for clarification on how it happened.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Yeah, I got ahead of myself and didn't read all replies. What are the odds of that happening? Extremely bad luck.

Yes, but If you are carrying on your right side, it is also difficult to reach over with your left hand to pull the gun out. So since I use my right hand to pull the gun out, I got the safety block that pushes out with my right hand. If you are a lefty, they make one for that as well.

The things that I didn't like about the 1911 platform is carrying cocked and locked. It always seemed to me that over a period of time that it would weaken the hammer spring. With the Glock, the striker is not fully loaded until the trigger is squeezed. I am also not a big fan of a thumb safety as it seems to me that you do give up a bit of control over the gun while your thumb is not in a gripping position.

One of my neighbors was a cop and she said that at the academy they taught them never to use the single action of a revolver. While your thumb is out of position trying to cock the hammer, the gun can easily be knocked out of your hand. I never forgot that, and even if we are talking pistols here, I think the principle applies. Once I grab the gun, I don't want to play hot potato with it if I lose control.

As was said,,,,,get the one that YOU shoot better and like aesthetically more,,,,,,I have the M&P platform, had Glocks and am getting a 1911 in the near future,,,,,,

There is a an old saying, "A 1911 is what you show to your friends; a Glock is what you show to your enemies"......

As others said, depends on the purpose. Mine are cc and sport.

I love the look of a 1911 and shooting one. Doesnt mean I want to cc one, for several reasons.

OTOH, a full size Glock is ugly but has many advantages for cc (for me personally), including being decent to shoot and reliabilty.

In both cases, I consider both too large to cc (now). I've been cc'ing a full size M&P and even the compact version is a brick.

I've got a M&P Shield ordered.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I own and occasionally carry a GLOCK 23 .40S&W. If I have to give up high cap down to 7 rounds, I would favor the GLOCK 36 with the +1 mag extension. This may be the start of a rush on G36s!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I own and occasionally carry a GLOCK 23 .40S&W. If I have to give up high cap down to 7 rounds, I would favor the GLOCK 36 with the +1 mag extension. This may be the start of a rush on G36s!
    G-36?
    TY54712

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links