1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

This is a discussion on 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would like to hear some views on 1911's VS Glock......Mag capacity not an issue here....interested in all other functions of the platforms......specifically the 9mm Colt ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

1911 Platform VS Glock Platform

Would like to hear some views on 1911's VS Glock......Mag capacity not an issue here....interested in all other functions of the platforms......specifically the 9mm Colt Defender or 9mm Colt New Agent vs G19 or G26......

The reason I'm asking is I have some decisions to make about my next purchase (within 30 days) these are the 4 choices I'm considering, but as I know nothing about the 1911's..I could use some input.

Thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This should be interesting... Why don't you tell us a little more about what purpose this firearm will have? Just another gun? Full time CCW? Competition?

You're talking about two styles that couldn't be further apart, so some ideas on why these are your choices might help give you some fine tuned insight.
    9MMare likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Here is why I like the Glock 19 over any other handgun for concealed carry:
    It is large enough to handle easily.
    It conceals easily.
    It is very simple to operate.
    It lacks gadgetry.
    I have experienced 100% reliability through thousands of rounds, with up to about 600 rounds in one session.
    For me, capacity is an issue. It holds lots of ammo.
    It is easy to detail strip and re-assemble.
    Parts availability is good on the rare occasion there are parts to replace.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've shot a few 1911s, don't own one (yet), and they've all shot fine. Your preference will depend on a number of factors besides capacity--costs, weight, feel, concealibility, reliability, and on and on...

I think the Glock is much simpler and forgiving in operation, most likely lighter, and probably less expensive. I'm not a fan of "cocked and locked," but many are and I have no issues with that. Some don't like the grip of Glocks, which is resolved to some extent with the Gen 4 backstrap arrangement. Then again, the 1911 has been around for ages and will forever be popular.

The 1911 fans can take over from here, but try one out for yourself and see what you think.
    Exacto likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

NMB
    If capacity isnt an issue.

Buy the one that YOU shoot best. End of discussion.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I do not own any of those, but have a Colt XSE LW Commander 1911 that people smarter than me helped influence my decision. I love it and as of now it is my favorite gun and I carry it daily. The platform has stood the test of time. I can not attest to the merits of it with the 9mm though. What I like the most is the thin profile. I am not a glock fan and do not own one, but I know their wel deserved reputation. The ergonomics are why I do not own one. I dislike the width on the few I have held, but have used them as a baseline for comparison in some pistols that I have purchased.

Really just comes down to preference IMO as both are great guns. Many say the 19 is the best gun around.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

While the 1911 is a damn sexy gun the GLOCKs work right out of the box, are simple, affordable, and reliable. I'm not saying Colt 1911's won't work out of the box and aren't reliable but I have intimate knowledge of the GLOCK 19 and 26 being as I described.

Get your asbestos under britches on, the flames they be coming. The GLOCK vs 1911 debate is perpetual and controversial. (Think Ford vs Chevy, Good vs Evil etc)
    WHEC724 and rugerista like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is why I like the Glock 19 over any other handgun for concealed carry:It is large enough to handle easily.It conceals easily.It is very simple to operate.It lacks gadgetry.I have experienced 100% reliability through thousands of rounds, with up to about 600 rounds in one session. For me, capacity is an issue. It holds lots of ammo.It is easy to detail strip and re-assemble.Parts availability is good on the rare occasion there are parts to replace.
    What more needs to be said, Just about sums it up perfectly.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    This should be interesting... Why don't you tell us a little more about what purpose this firearm will have? Just another gun? Full time CCW? Competition?

You're talking about two styles that couldn't be further apart, so some ideas on why these are your choices might help give you some fine tuned insight.
    Personal defense and cc....currently have a Ruger LC9 for main carry but really shoot the Glocks better (due to trigger action) but am somewhat hesitant about the Glock trigger actions as I carry locked and loaded. (have mentioned this trigger thing before). I also have shot a friends 1911 .45 and seem to shoot it better also than the DA trigger of my LC9 but I have very limited experience with firing the 1911
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Is there a reason for the 9mm in the defender and agent? I would opt for the .45 but if it is an ammo choice you have made thats ok, just trying to figure it out. I went from LC9 to the Colt.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Personal defense and cc....currently have a Ruger LC9 for main carry but really shoot the Glocks better (due to trigger action) but am somewhat hesitant about the Glock trigger actions as I carry locked and loaded. (have mentioned this trigger thing before). I also have shot a friends 1911 .45 and seem to shoot it better also than the DA trigger of my LC9 but I have very limited experience with firing the 1911
    Just curious-why is capacity not an issue if you are using it for concealed carry and personal defense? As for carrying with one in the chamber, most, but not all people do, whatever the platform. I am unclear about why you find the Glock's trigger particularly unsettling.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Ok, well then here's my criteria for a carry weapon.

1. Flawless reliability
    2. Viability for intended purpose (in other words, can I carry it every day under normal conditions)
    3. Ease of operation
    4. Mistake proof design
    5. Consistency in operation

Based on those, I would (and did) choose a Glock 19.

Plenty of guys love the 1911 design and I think that's great for them if they do. For me personally, I don't want a safety period. I want the simplest, most reliable weapon I can carry. That's the "beauty" of the Glock design. It's is nowhere near as pretty as the 1911 but there just isn't anything to "think" about beyond the most basic muscle memory of point, shoot, repeat as needed.

After talking with combat pistol trainers, then taking fighting pistol classes, I've become convinced that, for me, there is no better design for a combat pistol than the Glock. I wouldn't hesitate to use a G26 but the higher capacity and larger grip make the 19 a more appealing main carry weapon.
    joker1, First Sgt, Fitch and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

For me it would be the 1911 I have on me now, I shoot the 1911 platform much better, prefer the .45 which is meaningless really to anyone other than myself. Carrying a full sized .45 1911 is not for everyone I'm sure about that , I don't mind the weight for the piece of mind but I also think no matter what one chooses to carry there are always "trade-offs' (capacity, weight , ease to conceal ) etc. etc. etc. Which do YOU shoot better and have the most confidence in? IMO that is the main thing.

For more than one reason, I would never consider a 1911 in 9mm, or anything smaller than a commander, but to each his own. The 1911 however, is my favorite pistol. I competed with one in USPSA for several years and carried the same platform. Now I compete with a glock and carry the same. I do prefer the weight/capacity and limited maintenance of the Glock 9mm when talking carry guns. Glocks are simple and replacement parts, factory and aftermarket, are everywhere. 1911 parts are available but depending on the part, will likely need to be fitted. Trigger on good 1911s can't be matched, especially with a glock.
    There is nothing as good as a good 1911; nothing as bad as a bad one.
    bigdogtx likes this.
    TY54712

Buy the gun you wouldn't hesitate to drop on concrete. If you carry a gun you can't do that with and feel ok about it, you shouldn't be carrying it. For me, the Kimbers were flawless 1911's right out of the box. Held 9 rounds of .45acp and were more accurate than I ever dreamed. But I carry a Glock 27. Lighter, more reliable, tougher, easier to conceal, just my opinion. I said it before and I'll say it again, once I was able to detach my ego from my EDC, the Glock made the most sense.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links