New to cc...few questions

This is a discussion on New to cc...few questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a few months I plan to get my firearm permit here in Mississippi. But first I have a few questions. I have been searching ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to cc...few questions

In a few months I plan to get my firearm permit here in Mississippi. But first I have a few questions. I have been searching for a while on both google and different forums but have yet to find an answer.
    1. Will I need a permit/license to carry each one of my firearms? Scenario would be if I want to carry my glock on a certain day and a kimber on another day would I need a separate license for each firearm?

2. In Mississippi firearms do not need to be registered. My question is that if I do get my permit/license will my glock automatically be registered?

3. What's the best holster to use for my glock 19 year round?

4. Do you all think that a gun ban will have effect on handguns? Especially those that can carry more than 10 rounds in the magazine.

Sorry for my nooby questions. Just trying to find a definite answer since my searching has failed me.

1 & 2. I have never heard of of needing a separate permit for each firearm, you will need to check the laws for the state.

3. I use a crossbreed supertuck and it's great. There are others like it such as the Theis, Galco Kingtuk, White Hat holsters etc that a lot of other people like and they are cheaper. You will have to experiment with holsters.

4. People are buying up mags like crazy so if you don't have any extras you will have to pay a pretty penny for one.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Questions 1 and 2 - you will have to refer to the Mississippi statutes, as each state is different when it comes to firearm laws.
    Question 3 is subjective, as there is no such thing as the "best holster." You will have to determine what's the "best holster" for you, based on several factors, including your comfort, budget, way of carry, clothing, etc. Read up the numerous threads regarding holsters for G19/23 on this forum to get "opinions."
    Question 4...yes.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

First off, Welcome to Defensive Carry!

I am not from MS, and conceal carry laws vary immensely from state to state. I'm sure our Mississippi members will chime in soon regarding licensing requirements. This link has good information regarding MS firearm law, for you to peruse in the meantime: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf.

As far as your other questions, feel free to scan through the threads in the Holster forum for suggestions. The Glock 19 is quite a popular carry choice, with nearly endless carry options. With the impending "doom and gloom" of proposed anti-gun legislation, it is easy to get wrapped up in the "what if my gun is banned" mentality. Of course, I'm concerned and proactive in voicing my opposition to my legislators and supporting 2A organizations. However, in the meantime, remember NOTHING is happening right now, so I continue to carry whatever I see fit, within the scope of the current laws, regardless of what MAY happen.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

1. I know of no state that requires a separate permit for each weapon.

2. A few non-gun friendly states link a particular gun to your permit. However I don't believe MS links guns to permits.

3. No 2 people will agree on what is the "best" holster. You'll have to see what works for you.

4. If the anti's get their way, it will effect handguns. Primarily through magazine capacity. I believe for the most part, things will be grandfathered. If you already have it, you're good to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome. I was talking to a few clients from my work and they were wondering if the new bill will effect getting a ccw permit

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I believe some state do list what firearms are allowed on the permits (NY?), which it pointless. I don't know about Miss. If Miss does not require registration, does not list firearms by S/N on permits, there's no reason to believe it is automaticaly registered.

No one yet knows the answers to the rest.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Really hope it doesn't effect permits since I'm only 20 and won't turn 21 till april which is why I'm trying to get all my facts down straight now

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince6o1 View Post
    In a few months I plan to get my firearm permit here in Mississippi. But first I have a few questions. I have been searching for a while on both google and different forums but have yet to find an answer.
    1. Will I need a permit/license to carry each one of my firearms? Scenario would be if I want to carry my glock on a certain day and a kimber on another day would I need a separate license for each firearm?

2. In Mississippi firearms do not need to be registered. My question is that if I do get my permit/license will my glock automatically be registered?

3. What's the best holster to use for my glock 19 year round?

4. Do you all think that a gun ban will have effect on handguns? Especially those that can carry more than 10 rounds in the magazine.

Sorry for my nooby questions. Just trying to find a definite answer since my searching has failed me.
    1. Some states require that you list the guns you want to carry. Other states require you qualify with a semi-auto if you want to carry one. If you qualify wiht a revover in those states, a revolver is what you can carry, but not a semi-auto. I do not know the laws of MS, but would be surprised if they care what you carry once you get the permit.

2. Unless there is a requirement to list the carry weapons on the permit, not likely.

3. Personal choice will dictate here. I have tried several and settled on the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for my purposes. I carry IWB at 3:30 or so. YMMV.

4. Too early to tell. We will know when you do. They could do lots of things from nothing to banning anything more than X rounds to requiring all firearms to have a $200 tax stamp to an outright ban - turn them in. All of those have been proposed. What they can get passed - who knows.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Welcome from the Gulf Coast.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Welcome from the Gulf Coast.
    Ah finally someone in ms. Are you familiar with the ccw laws to answer my above questions especially number 1 and 2. Also do you know of any nice ranges in the biloxi Gulfport area that opens pretty early?

Once upon a time in south carolina,you had to carry,what you took,when you took the ccw class..A few yrs back,they changed the laws.I carry a glock sometimes.Sometimes i carry a ruger.Some people i know,has taken the ccw class and didn't own a firearm.Some instructors usually has like a 22cal.,they will let you use..It's easier and cheaper,obviously.No such thing as a registered firearm in S.C. either but states do vary.You should be able to find something on google.Maybe like,what are the ccw laws for Mississippi,if you haven't already tried.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Since everything else has been covered, I'll just welcome you to the forum and give you a holster recommendation; Dale Fricke's Archangel is my favorite holster for carrying G19/23. It has become my EDC holster in conjunction with Mr. Fricke's horizontal magazine carrier.

Yea thanks for the info. I've already tried google and searching forums. But pretty much got my answers when some members answered my questions in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vince6o1 View Post
    Really hope it doesn't effect permits since I'm only 20 and won't turn 21 till april which is why I'm trying to get all my facts down straight now
    I applaud you for researching all aspects of carrying--legal, practical, and technical. It's refreshing to hear of younger folk taking such a mature approach to becoming a responsible gun owner. Along with the wisdom and advice we can provide, it would also be beneficial for you to seek out training locally as well. I'm not sure what the training requirements (or age requirement for such training) in MS are; perhaps there is a course offered in your area that addresses the legal issues of carrying (use of force, prohibited locations, rights and responsibilities, etc.) available to you? There is no such thing as too much learning, nor is there no stupid questions (except the one not asked).
    Aceoky likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links