ruger sr9c vs other pocket pistols

This is a discussion on ruger sr9c vs other pocket pistols within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am trying to find a good pocket pistol i am a bigger guy thinking the ruger sr9c or what other peoples opinions maybe lc9 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaMaria

Thread: ruger sr9c vs other pocket pistols

ruger sr9c vs other pocket pistols

i am trying to find a good pocket pistol i am a bigger guy thinking the ruger sr9c or what other peoples opinions maybe lc9 but i have big hands i used to carry a glock gen 4 in my front pocket looking for something more practical. rugers look nice but idk what the warranty is on them. i just looking for what people recommend i like the sr9c just be cause 10 round mag or you can put the 17 round in and make it close to full size. i am looking in the 400 dollar range or so i want a pocket but something i am some what accurate with

2. Remove Ads

You must have some very large pockets to carry a SR9c. I hear that Kahr CW9 is a pretty good pocket gun and it's in your range. The Beretta Nano is also something to take a look at.

The sr9c doesn't have a factory warranty, BUT Ruger has some of the most outstanding customer service and will just about fix any manufacturer issues. I have never pocket carried mine but I dont think it would be very hard. I'm also a larger guy, 6'4" 275lbs. DeSantis makes a nice pocket holster for this gun. I have been thinking about carrying it that way myself.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

Re: ruger sr9c vs other pocket pistols

What you can pocket carry is based off your clothing, not how big you are.

Look at the LC9, Kahr CM9, and the S&W Shield 9.

Based on your budget and your consideration of the SR9c, I would also suggest the Springfield XD9sc in addition to the others' suggestions. The XD9sc would be similarly sized to the Ruger, as well as similar outstanding customer service. I agree that most would not consider either a "pocket" pistol, but then again, we don't know how big your pockets are.
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

VIP Member
    What your going to be able to pocket carry will depend on the way you dress. Having looked at the SR9c I would say you need some good size pockets. You didn't say what size Glock you pocket carried, but I'm guessing one of the 20 series.

If you can carry the Glock or the SR9c, you might also want to give the CZ RAMI a look.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Pocket carry an SR9c? Okay...
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

The SR9c is an excellent handgun and Ruger's customer service is one of the best in the industry, but the SR9c is not a pocket pistol.

For a large guy with large pockets, a single stack 9mm might be considered a pocket gun. Guns in this class would be the Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, Kahr PM9, etc...

A true pocket pistol is something like a .380 Ruger LCP in my opinion.

Sig P938 with a 7 round mag in a DeSantis holster.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I love my SR9c, and just for the heck of it have "tried" to pocket carry with several different pair of pants. It didn't work for me.

I'm a VERY large guy and while I can see getting my SR9c into my pocket without much difficulty (with the 10 round magazine) by the time I could get it out of my pocket the fight would already be over. I'm thinking cross breed or other tuckable IWB holster would be better with this gun.

Perfect topic for me! I'm looking at the SR9c for my next purchase. Previous CCW holder, I let it expire in 2005. I carried a Glock 36 but hardly every carried. Things have changed including my opinion and desire to carry daily. Personal protection and now protection of my family. I've submitted everything, now just waiting for the license to arrive! Regardless, I still plan to carry the 36 but am looking for another carry option. The SR9c is probably the front runner. Anything smaller is too small for me (I'm big like the other big guys in this thread!) but I'm trying to go as compact as I can too. Interested to see some more people post about their experience with it.

Links