My Saturday

My Saturday

This is a discussion on My Saturday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past Saturday, I finally got around to taking the concealed handgun course to get started on my way to getting the license. I went ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By farronwolf
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By KoriBustard

Thread: My Saturday

My Saturday

This past Saturday, I finally got around to taking the concealed handgun course to get started on my way to getting the license. I went through DC member farronwolf’s class (D & D Concealed Handgun, Texarkana, TX). If anybody is in the Texarkana area and needs to take a concealed handgun class…I highly recommend that you sign up for his class. He knows his stuff, the class is not boring, he’s serious when it is needed, and easy going when it is suitable. He emphasizes safe gun handling and safety on the range. A good guy to chat with about guns and carrying, helpful, friendly…I’m glad I met him. His wife is just as nice and helpful.

He had an actual gun belt for us to handle, and a variety of holsters to look at also. At the range, after qualifying, he let me shoot some guns I have read about, handled and have wanted to shoot if possible (PF9, CW9 and a CW45 as a bonus). I handled his 3.06” SP101 with the Hogue 3 finger grip…I like it and want one! After another semi-auto, a 3.06” SP101 is what I want next…well realistically I’ll probably get a .22 semi-auto before that. Some nice extras for the students were free snacks and drinks (bottled water, sodas and coffee) and a free T-shirt to finish off the day.

Good job farronwolf!

I had seen on Gander Mountain’s website that they are stocking BP9cc’s. So after the class, I went over to Gander Mountain to see if they had one in stock for me to handle…and they did. I had handled one before at a gun show, but had not been able to dry-fire it. As I have read, the trigger is indeed very light, and the reset is very short. The grip is long enough for all 3 fingers…nice. I’d really like to shoot that gun for sure!

A very good day…except 9mm ammo is very, very hard to find (none at Gander Mountain, Academy, and only a few boxes of some brands I did not recognize at 2 Walmarts).

As of today, the online application for the license is done. Fingerprinting is next, then to mail in the paperwork, then wait.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Congrats! And I'm sure farronwolf appreciates the endorsement.

The "classes" I've seen have been at the gun shows and seem no more than a cattle call and quick certificate. Hopefully some of the LGS programs are better run.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Congrats! And I'm sure farronwolf appreciates the endorsement.

The "classes" I've seen have been at the gun shows and seem no more than a cattle call and quick certificate. Hopefully some of the LGS programs are better run.
    I guess I got spoiled cause his class was top notch.

VIP Member
    good job! hope your permit is processed fast, stay safe!
    Remy likes this.

Thanks for the compliment Remy.

It ended up being a bit longer day than some other classes, but sometimes that is what it takes to get all the material in. I would much rather spend the nearly 12 hrs that Sat. took than do like some of the other instructors and spit it out in 5 or 6 (Texas requires at least 10 hrs.) just to be done quickly. This stuff is way to important to be taking shortcuts.

Thanks again, looking forward to shooting some IPSC, or Steel Challenge with you after tax season is done.
    Remy likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Always good go hear stuff like that about our members! Congrats on starting the permit process, stay safe.
    Remy likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Thanks for the compliment Remy.

It ended up being a bit longer day than some other classes, but sometimes that is what it takes to get all the material in. I would much rather spend the nearly 12 hrs that Sat. took than do like some of the other instructors and spit it out in 5 or 6 (Texas requires at least 10 hrs.) just to be done quickly. This stuff is way to important to be taking shortcuts.

Thanks again, looking forward to shooting some IPSC, or Steel Challenge with you after tax season is done.
    Your welcome. All this talk of Steel Challenge is having me rethink my next gun purchase. I might have to try and combine 2 (smaller 9mm and .22 semi) gun purchases within a set amount. First things first...license, gun and mag holster (already have a gun belt) and go from there.

Thanks all. I'm told it could be up to 6 weeks after everything is submitted. I'll use that time to get more trigger time and get a holster ordered.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    To the OP, good for you! In Massachusetts, permits are to be issued within 40 days (by law), but I know several people that are waiting (or have waited) over 3 months, even the son of a retired police chief. Hope you get yours soon.
    Remy likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    This sounds like an NRA course. They are well thought out and well presented by most NRA instructors
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Sponsored Links