Dresses & CC: Marilyn, Remora, or what?!?!

Dresses & CC: Marilyn, Remora, or what?!?!

This is a discussion on Dresses & CC: Marilyn, Remora, or what?!?! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CC (actually, the new smell of my license hasn't been dampened at all yet). I have a Taurus PT125 and a Bersa ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Dresses & CC: Marilyn, Remora, or what?!?!

Red face Dresses & CC: Marilyn, Remora, or what?!?!

I'm new to CC (actually, the new smell of my license hasn't been dampened at all yet). I have a Taurus PT125 and a Bersa Thunder 380 as my main guns. I plan to carry the PT125 primarily because of hand strength issues (racking a slide is difficult for me & I don't like the way revolvers feel). I can't carry at work due to agency regulations (I'm not a sworn LEO). However, when I'm out & about, I'd like to carry in this day & age. Right now the PT125 is loaded and ready to go in the console of my vehicle.

Herein lies the rub(s). I'm 5'6" tall about 150 lbs of curvy hips & smallish waist. I've had breast cancer (diagnosed at 28 while 20 weeks pregnant -- chemo while pregnant, healthy baby girl, followed by more chemo & surgeries), so the DDDs I used to have were replaced with B cups. I also have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in my left hand/arm making it my weaker hand although I'm really ambidextrous. I also have chronic issues with pain, sensitivity, and lack of sensitivity across my chest, abdomen, and extending to parts of my arms from the 8 surgeries I've had all within 3 years. All of this & I'm only 31.

I also, because of sensitivity issues in my abdomen, primarily wear dresses. Since I'm still curvy and like to look nice, I'm fond of dresses that flatter my figure, but weren't designed conceal a weapon. For instance, the outfit of the day today is a sweater dress that hits mid-thigh with a deep V with a scoop-neck modesty tank and leggings underneath paired with tall boots. The dress loves my curves and shows them to good benefit without looking painted on. I don't wear boots all the time (although quite frequently in the winter), but frequently rock ballet flats. Most of my dresses fall from mid-thigh (worn with jersey knit leggings and boots usually) to slightly below the knee. Most are A-line or similar to flatter my body shape with varying fullness in the skirt. Most fit well (flatteringly, but not tight) in the bodice/top.

Since my CCW class in August I've been browsing online for a good answer for how to carry given the above. I read through the sticky above and had actually already visited many of the sites mentioned. Conceptually, I like the idea of the Marilyn holster. In reality, I'm afraid to blow $35+ without actually being able to try it on since I do have sensitivity issues in that carry location. Another problem with the Marilyn is that my preferred gun is not currently supported.

I've read a lot of wonderful things about the Remora holsters. Again, I hesitate to throw $25+ on a holster I'm not sure I'll like. Both my guns are supported by this holster and I am wondering if I could use the Remora holster in my bra like the Marilyn. To be honest, I'm leaning this way because it seems to be the most flexible way to carry regardless of dress. I'm assuming from what I've read about the Remora that I could even tuck it inside my boot against my leggings and carry that way.
    The Flashbang doesn't appear to be a good option for me for 2 reasons: 1) I wear dresses & would prefer not to flash my attacker... If I were to do so to a rapist, it would seem like I was luring him in... 2) My reconstructed breasts aren't very large or close together. Even in loose fitting tops, the location of the Flashbang seems like it would print badly. As a caveat, I have not been fortunate enough to try one of these holsters out though.

I'm also open to other carry options that won't cause me increased pain as I carry. Although I've heard and read the maxim that CC doesn't need to be comfortable, but comforting, I disagree. If CC is uncomfortable, I'm simply not going to carry -- I have too many discomforts as it is already. I also won't be able to stand anything that makes my current/chronic discomforts worse.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me out?

Thanks in advance!

I am very sorry to hear of such a young lady having so many difficulties. Life can be very challenging, but the important factor is our attitude to what we are each dealt...hang in there!
    I believe that you will find many answers to your questions at this site: Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Enjoy the forum.

Respectfully,

ret
    BkCo1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll let the ladies chime in on most of your questions, but I just wanted to let you know that Remora is pretty dedicated to great customer service. If you got the holster and found out it didn't work for you they will take it back. Just something to consider. I personally love mine, and it seems like it might be great for you because of how versatile it is.

Good luck!

Dang BBrain, you make me feel like a big sissy! You 'da (wo)MAN! Here's a holster hint from a man who knows. You likely gonna' spend w-i-d-e dollars before M.W.H. (Mr. Wonderful Holster) shows up. We ALL do. Best find a lady's CCW organization in Louisville or Lexington with whom to discuss your unique criteria. We hairy-ankled, knuckle-draggers can't even decide among ourselves about holsters! Also, edit your thread title to include "Calling all Sisters" and get some REAL help 'round heah'.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

According to Looper's website (the manufacturer of the "Marilyn" holster), it looks like they've extended their gun list to include the Bersa .380 thunder. looperlawenforcement.com Based on your regular wardrobe and needs, the "Marilyn" does sound like it may be a good option for you. I think it would be worth your time to e-mail them directly, share your story and needs, and see what they have to say or suggest. I don't know what their ability to do custom work would be; perhaps they could work with your needs (Lisa Looper is the designer of the entire "Pin-up Collection").
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Hey, Biologybrain: I'm gonna send you a PM with another suggestion, if you don't mind?
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'll have to ask TX expat about how to conceal in a dress as he has no problem.

Cheap shot at TX aside, As a another cancer survivor, I hope your health issues become ancient history. Welcome to the site and I'm sure some of the ladies her can help you out . . . or TX.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am not a fan of concealment in my bosom, but a few seem to like it. When I can't waist carry I use a bellyband, but that is with a shirt and skirt or dress pants. It would not work well with a dress unless you have a deep enough v-neck and stretchy enough fabric to reach down through the neckline. Same issue with the Smart Carry although that works for me when I jog. I haven't tried it yet with dress pants or skirts.

Have you looked at thigh carry? If you go to The Well Armed Woman, there is a video showing the product in use.

The Well Armed Woman Comfort Fit Thigh Holster w/Garter - The Well Armed Woman

Red face Thank you for the replies

I appreciate all the suggestions I've been given. I will thoroughly look into the various options. I would LOVE to see some of the ladies on this forum show how they carry when dressed in something other than jeans & t-shirt.

I'm not sure about a thigh-holster because I have rather heavy thighs. I tried creating my own thigh holster (similar to the Barmaid one), but the shape of my thighs combined with my dresses made it impractical. However, if I were to buy one specially made for the purpose, perhaps I could so so.

So thank you again!

Links