Is there any chance of repeal of "Gun-Free Zone" laws?

This is a discussion on Is there any chance of repeal of "Gun-Free Zone" laws? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While the Left is trying to turn up the heat on gun owners (Journal News recent map, Piers Morgan's lunacy, most articles in print an ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By PM
  • 1 Post By Pistology
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Is there any chance of repeal of "Gun-Free Zone" laws?

While the Left is trying to turn up the heat on gun owners (Journal News recent map, Piers Morgan's lunacy, most articles in print an on TV, many other examples...), I believe that it will eventually backfire on them.

I see most of the gun owners (and CCW friends I have) are slowly awakening, realizing that, yes, we are going to have to become more articulate about gun rights, gun safety and pointing out the amazing false facts that have been put out lately. I strongly emphasize being very articulate, matter of fact and sane in our presentation and future discussion.

I have always believed the idea of any gun free zone was simply not based in reality!! Was the thought process when whoever thought this up, "Well, bad guys will see these signs and keep away"!

We have to start to educate the public about the FACTS surrounding the incidence of significant gun violence in these zones.

We need to start changing the general mind set of these places of being havens of safety, to one of a lack of safety.

I believe that there is potential with this and hope that it will become reality!

What do you say about this?

Bill
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nope, because they still think they can legislate crime away.
    sdprof likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Is that a joke? No chance.

Michigan tried and failed. Reason--no option for schools and other businesses to opt out and still ban carrying.

Will we ever see it nationwide, probably not in any of our lifetimes.

PM
    There is a slim chance; if the lawmakers think and/or are shown that GFZ are deadly and that we are not going to put up with people getting killed in GFZ we may get it changed. As I said in another thread; one of our local SROs would like to see carry in school by teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by billpocz View Post
    We have to start to educate the public about the FACTS surrounding the incidence of significant gun violence in these zones.
    We need to start changing the general mind set of these places of being havens of safety, to one of a lack of safety.
    I did this kind of with a lady at church; pointed out that most of the mass killing were in GFZ. I then asked" if I had 10 glasses of liquid in two groups of five and told you that in grp A one glass had poison in it and in grp b none did which would you drink from and why?" She said "the group that had no poison"; looking at me like I was as dumb as a rock, "becasue that group won't kill me!" I said exactly why there folks are going to GFZs to do the mass killings; they know that no one present can kill them. Did I change her mind? Don't know but I did get her to think.
    sdprof and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Not a joke, keboostman, just trying to generate some articulate, thoughtful discussion.....
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    In VA, Roanoke to be precise, Virginia Western Community College was voted the safest school in VA. The reason given was because there is a large visible armed campus police force there. One would think that there is a lesson to be learned here, but I don't think it will be very widely publisized. You cannot change the minds of the anti gun crowd. Facts and statistics are just annoyances that get in the way. All these mind numbed robots can do is spew out liberal propaganda and lies to mislead the public.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    They will never drop GFZ's. the egotistical elitists would have to admit they were wrong and they will never do that. It's very much like criminals not obeying laws. Also, it makes too much sense.

GFSZA does not prevent CHL's from carrying in schools. State law is the one that prohibits it. Is up to the state legislatures to allow it, or for school administrators (CHL carry in school permited with school administration authorization in TX) to authorize it if allowed by state law.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Unfortunately, this is true.

VIP Member
    There may be some gradual erosion in time. Consider that popular thinking about the Drug War is starting to consider the rationality of repealing drug laws because the cost of prohibition isn't worth it. We are come a long way back toward 2A in the last twenty years. There are always going to be voices of reason and liberty. Never doubt that right may triumph over popular fallacy.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I think it has a slim chance, but I also thought carry in national parks had a slim chance of passing, and it passed...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    All legislation can do is create more criminals by making more things against the law.
    nontechguy likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sponsored Links