Two interesting articles in Seattle

This is a discussion on Two interesting articles in Seattle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was a big traffic hangup this morning on my way to work, and when I got home I looked at the local paper's website ...

Thread: Two interesting articles in Seattle

Two interesting articles in Seattle

There was a big traffic hangup this morning on my way to work, and when I got home I looked at the local paper's website to see if I could find out what happened. No news there, but I found these two little gems (second linked from the first):

Wednesday noon live chat about gun laws — with state senator and pro-gun activist | The Today File | Seattle Times
    What can Seattle and Washington state do to reduce gun violence?

That question is on the minds of many public officials, with King County and Seattle launching a gun buyback program and state lawmakers preparing to discuss new legislation this session.

On Wednesday at noon, Seattle Times readers are invited to participate in an online chat about those topics and others with state Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, and Phil Watson, special projects director for the Second Amendment Foundation.
    Seattle-area leaders announce new gun buyback program | The Today File | Seattle Times

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and King County Executive Dow Constantine this morning announced the area’s first gun buyback program in 21 years.

...announced the start of the Gun Safety Initiative. Starting Jan. 26, people willing to anonymously surrender their guns will be rewarded with gift cards.

I'm not terribly surprised, Seattle has more than a little track record of trying to resist Washington's excellent firearms laws and ownership. Any WA residents who have the time to get into the debate would be encouraged to participate though.

Edit:
    Almost forgot, here are the results from a poll from one of the articles:
    Thank you for voting!

Yes. Even one gun off the street is better. 29% (373 votes)
    It's a nice gesture, but these initiatives just don't work. 10.5% (135 votes)
    No, the bad guys aren't going to be turning in their guns... 48.76% (627 votes)
    No one's getting my gun. 11.74% (151 votes)

Total Votes: 1,286
    Last edited by livewire; January 8th, 2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added poll
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

I was born and raised in WA state and got my first permit to carry there. I'll definitely check out the articles and keep tabs on the status of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblyth View Post
    I was born and raised in WA state and got my first permit to carry there. I'll definitely check out the articles and keep tabs on the status of the program.
    X2 ... we are thinking of moving back, job opportunities permitting

Links