Car safe ?s with a twist

This is a discussion on Car safe ?s with a twist within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for recommendations for a lockbox for my vehicle, but I have a slight problem. I have a '09 Toyota Camry and I cannot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Car safe ?s with a twist

Car safe ?s with a twist

I'm looking for recommendations for a lockbox for my vehicle, but I have a slight problem. I have a '09 Toyota Camry and I cannot find anywhere to mount the thing. Under the front seats are full of seat adjustment doohickeys (it's a technical term) and the rear bench sits right on the frame of the car and has no openings under it. The center console is small enough that I can set my LCR in there and have it take up almost all the space by itself, and the trunk, even though I do not consider it an option because I'd have to draw and reholster in plain view, has the spare under the floor so it isn't solid enough to mount anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions outside of 'buy a new vehicle' ?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

I feel your pain. We have a Pontiac Vibe with all the cramped Toyota interior styling. If it's for the LCR, I don't think you'd need a safe at all. I'd just pop open the cylinder and run a cable lock through and lock it to something under the seat. Wrap it in a towel, rag, or my favorite--a McDonald's bag and call it good.
    atctimmy and thechriskarel like this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I use a Secure It Safe for all my vehicles and also in my suitcases, they hold one handgun and cost about $25 at SportsmansGuide....
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I use a Secure It Safe for all my vehicles and also in my suitcases, they hold one handgun and cost about $25 at SportsmansGuide....
    And the silly Japanese did not plan their Toyota interiors (especially under the seats) to accommodate the smallest of pistol safes. If 45ACP's seats are like mine, there's a myriad of levers, wires, air-bag sensors, and cross bars underneath extremely low-slung bucket seats. (I hope it's not against Forum Rules to disparage the fine Japanese tradition of compact automobile innovation )

Hide it in the trunk...safer if someone does get into the car.
    I have hidden a CoM Safe in my wife's Toyota Convertible trunk...easy to get into in a parking lot if the need arises.
    I wouldn't normally keep a firearm in the car, but for those place that won't allow a firearm for short term parking, it works.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    And the silly Japanese did not plan their Toyota interiors (especially under the seats) to accommodate the smallest of pistol safes. If 45ACP's seats are like mine, there's a myriad of levers, wires, air-bag sensors, and cross bars underneath extremely low-slung bucket seats. (I hope it's not against Forum Rules to disparage the fine Japanese tradition of compact automobile innovation )
    Except the fact that much of the design work was done in the US...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

mkh
    Of possible you could run the cable around the seat frame and then just jam the safe between these at and the console. In most vehicles there is some room next to the seat. You may need to lay a hat or towel or something over it to hide it from outside eyes.

I feel your pain. We have a Pontiac Vibe with all the cramped Toyota interior styling. If it's for the LCR, I don't think you'd need a safe at all. I'd just pop open the cylinder and run a cable lock through and lock it to something under the seat. Wrap it in a towel, rag, or my favorite--a McDonald's bag and call it good.
    Can't believe I never thought of the McDonald's bag idea. I guess that's why I'm on this forum. Thank you Mama!
    atctimmy and MamaMaria like this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Just a thought here.....fold down the rear seat...back support of read seat should be a metal plate with a few holes in it..if no holes you can drill a few....either drill 4 holds in the back of the seat, and 4 matching holes in the bottom of the gun lock box and mount it to the back of the seat...then If you need your weapon you just fold down the seat and there it is without having to go through the trunk......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    sorta like this.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnH158grrfY
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is that fries I smell or your LCR?
    atctimmy and MamaMaria like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is that fries I smell or your LCR?
    Obviously, its fries... What is an LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Can't believe I never thought of the McDonald's bag idea. I guess that's why I'm on this forum. Thank you Mama!
    It works best when you've got a household full of "slobs" who think the floor of the car is the proper place to dispose of water bottles, food bags, and candy wrappers, lol! NOBODY wants to break into my car, trust me!

It works best when you've got a household full of "slobs" who think the floor of the car is the proper place to dispose of water bottles, food bags, and candy wrappers, lol! NOBODY wants to break into my car, trust me!
    If I might end up with gum on my Jordans, I probably won't get in your car, so you're right!

Edit/added: I guess I don't think like a criminal though...

More than once I've left valuables in garbage bags in my truck. Which makes cleaning it out a chore...which Walmart bag did I put my tools in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links