Defensive Carry banner

Car safe ?s with a twist

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  45ACP4ever 
#1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a lockbox for my vehicle, but I have a slight problem. I have a '09 Toyota Camry and I cannot find anywhere to mount the thing. Under the front seats are full of seat adjustment doohickeys (it's a technical term) and the rear bench sits right on the frame of the car and has no openings under it. The center console is small enough that I can set my LCR in there and have it take up almost all the space by itself, and the trunk, even though I do not consider it an option because I'd have to draw and reholster in plain view, has the spare under the floor so it isn't solid enough to mount anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions outside of 'buy a new vehicle' :wink: ?

#2 ·
I feel your pain. We have a Pontiac Vibe with all the cramped Toyota interior styling. If it's for the LCR, I don't think you'd need a safe at all. I'd just pop open the cylinder and run a cable lock through and lock it to something under the seat. Wrap it in a towel, rag, or my favorite--a McDonald's bag and call it good.

#3 ·
I use a Secure It Safe for all my vehicles and also in my suitcases, they hold one handgun and cost about $25 at SportsmansGuide....

#4 ·
And the silly Japanese did not plan their Toyota interiors (especially under the seats) to accommodate the smallest of pistol safes. If 45ACP's seats are like mine, there's a myriad of levers, wires, air-bag sensors, and cross bars underneath extremely low-slung bucket seats. (I hope it's not against Forum Rules to disparage the fine Japanese tradition of compact automobile innovation :embarassed:)

#5 ·
Hide it in the trunk...safer if someone does get into the car.
I have hidden a CoM Safe in my wife's Toyota Convertible trunk...easy to get into in a parking lot if the need arises.
I wouldn't normally keep a firearm in the car, but for those place that won't allow a firearm for short term parking, it works.

#7 ·
Of possible you could run the cable around the seat frame and then just jam the safe between these at and the console. In most vehicles there is some room next to the seat. You may need to lay a hat or towel or something over it to hide it from outside eyes.

#9 ·
Just a thought here.....fold down the rear seat...back support of read seat should be a metal plate with a few holes in it..if no holes you can drill a few....either drill 4 holds in the back of the seat, and 4 matching holes in the bottom of the gun lock box and mount it to the back of the seat...then If you need your weapon you just fold down the seat and there it is without having to go through the trunk......

#16 ·
I have a toyota tacoma and the seats give me the same issue. No clearance. Not sure of the size of your center console, but I use a gunvault, minivault i think. It has a teather cable that I wrapped around shotgun seats frame and it is long enough to then keep the gunvault in the center console. I like the set up better than under the seat as it does not come sliding out when I drive.

#19 ·
Keep the car safe in your car. Put you gun in it while you are in your car and can't be seen, then put the safe in the trunk. lock it to something with a cable inside the trunk.

#20 · (Edited)
This guy wanted something stronger than the typical 21ga box cabled to his seat frame since his gun is left in his car all day while at work. He didn't have a good location in the cabin either so he decided this was his best option. This is in a 2007 Mustang GT.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Car Trunk

Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Auto part

Hardware used for the installation from McMaster-Carr

1 96242A735 12 Point Flange Head Cap Screw, Type 304 Stainless Steel,
3/8"-16 Thread, 3/4" L
2 90078A130 Spanner Tamper-Resistant Nut, Zinc-Alloy, 3/8"-16 Thread Size
3 90313A329 18-8 Stainless Steel Large-Diameter Flat Washer, 3/8"
Screw Size, 1" OD, .05"-.08" Thick

#21 ·
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, this isn't just for the LCR otherwise I would just run a cable or padlock through the cylinder and lock it down.

I have a MicroVault (I think that's it. The top opening one) and I will see if that fits inside the center console. I have no idea why I haven't checked that yet. I have looked at some companies that make vehicle safes and all they make them for is large trucks and SUVs, which leaves out a great portion of the population.

I do like the idea of fastening a safe to the folding rear seat backs, I will have to check that out as well.

FAS1, thank you for the pics, but I am just not comfortable handling my gun in plain view like that. Not to mention at least one co-worker is nosy enough that he would see me in my trunk and come over to see what I'm doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.