Awkward concealed carry question

This is a discussion on Awkward concealed carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I don't know how to ask this totally PC but I just don't know the best answer here. Ok, let's say I am concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awkward concealed carry question

Question Awkward concealed carry question

Ok, I don't know how to ask this totally PC but I just don't know the best answer here.

Ok, let's say I am concealed carrying and "need to go", so if I am in one of those stalls where the walls don't go all the way to the ground, what are you supposed to do?

I don't exactly want my .45 hanging 3 inches off the ground where the guy in the stall next to me can not only see it but probably better access to it than me :o.
    I also don't want to sit there holding a .45 in my hand (please don't read into that :p...)

Any insight from you long time carry folks would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
    RGUARD.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I haven't been in this situation so I'm not sure if this is a good answer. If they have coat hooks on the stall door like a lot of stalls do, make sure the safty is on and hang it on a hook. That way it is still right in front of you for your easy grabbing.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Hmmm... I'm sure you'll get plenty of input in this thread, plus plenty of stories of how people dropped guns onto the floor of the stall.

I am not confronted with that problem, generally, because I don't carry in that manner.

Is it possible to take the gun from the holster and hang it on the hook (if there is one) behind the door by the trigger guard? (I'll leave it to others to judge the relative safety of doing so -- I mean, it is sticking something inside the trigger guard, which is widely considered to be a no-no.)

Do you have a jacket or something on, into a pocket of which you could stick the holstered gun? Is there a toilet tank area that can act as a shelf? Is the toilet paper dispenser a suitable shelf? This stuff will depend on the characteristics of the specific bathroom stall.

You could always let the clipped-on holster flop down into the pants, between your lower legs.

Sit with your pants just over your knees and your knees spread apart to keep tension. I wear my gun at about 4:00 so it is off of my hip. When seated it will now hang just behind your leg and is impossible to see from the outside.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'v heard of women having their purses stolen from the hook...I wouldn't think that would be an issue in the mens room, but I sure don't like the idea. This has been an issue for me every time I've had to "go" in a public restroom since I've been carrying...the only answer I've come up with is "be very careful". If you can, get the stall with the full wall on your carry side.
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Administrator
    Once you get into the stall, just tap on the wall and say "excuse me sir, would you mind holding my pistol?'

Here's what I do... I'll tuck my pistol into my boot or sock on the inside of my leg. If that won't work, I'll lay the pistol inside my pants, resting in the crotch of the pants. This only works with sturdy pants like blue jeans. Another option is to refasten your belt once your drawers are down, it will only take slight pressure from your legs to keep it in place.
    Or, last option would be to lay pistol on the TP dispenser, just don't get caught up in the moment and forget it.

I tend to avoid public restrooms at all costs.

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure what search keywords would work best but we had a recent thread on this - with many sugestions.

Try a search on ''stalls'' maybe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I just pull my pants down like normal but don't unhook my belt(I use a Wilderness 5 stitch that is velcro).I keep tension on my belt by keeping my legs spread.I then drape my boxers over the gun.Been doing it like this for over 20 years.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator
    If a battle erupts while your tending to business in the stall, be prepared to come out swinging.

I have run into this "situation". I use the toilet paper dispenser as a shelf. Haven't had any problems with this. LEO training always told us to put our belts over our shoulders, so no one can reach over or under. But now (no longer LEO), I use the toilet paper shelf
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

I just hold my firearm. Not sure why there has to be anything more elobrate than that!

Senior Moderator
    Just sit in the stall, singing in your best R. Lee Ermy voice:

"This is my pistol, this is my gun!
    This is for fighting, this is for fun!"

You'll have a private bathroom in no time, if you sing like I do.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Once you get into the stall, just tap on the wall and say "excuse me sir, would you mind holding my pistol?'

Here's what I do... I'll tuck my pistol into my boot or sock on the inside of my leg. If that won't work, I'll lay the pistol inside my pants, resting in the crotch of the pants. This only works with sturdy pants like blue jeans. Another option is to refasten your belt once your drawers are down, it will only take slight pressure from your legs to keep it in place.
    Or, last option would be to lay pistol on the TP dispenser, just don't get caught up in the moment and forget it.

I tend to avoid public restrooms at all costs.
    Strange... this makes two agreements in as many days!

I would add that the muzzle should probably be pointing toward the toilet when in the crotch of one's pants.

Public restrooms are just not for me, either.

Josh <><

I place it in the crotch of my pants with my underwear over it.

Of course if you are using a Smartcarry, as I often am, you can just hike it up to your chest with no problem.

I Would Never...

place the weapon on any shelf or rack...too easy to forget...this story has been told before!
    I simply place the weapon in a pocket...will never be forgotten that way, but can still be reached if needed.

OMO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links