Defensive Carry banner

Permit coverage issues moving to another state

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  awanatech 
#1 ·
I'm a FL resident that's probably moving to Georgia in a few months. I can't tell if I'm missing something or not - after I move to Georgia and get my Georgia driver's license, I can only then apply for my GWL. At such time, my FL resident permit is not longer (?) valid since I'm not longer a resident, and I then have 30/60/90 days while my old permit doesn't cover my new one, and my new one isn't issued yet.

Other than continuing to use my FL resident permit in Georgia, which I assume is a grey area, or getting a FL non-res permit, will I be without "coverage", or did I miss something?

#6 ·
You have some serious confusion and misunderstanding going on here.

Florida issues only a single type of permit, and it doesn't matter too much if you move into or out of florida. (They want you to keep your address on file with them up to date, but that's fairly easy.)
There is no non-resident license, only a license issued to a non-resident. Moving out of state does NOT make your permit invalid.

The real issue is whether Georgia will honor your FL permit if you are not a FL resident.
As I read the information on Handgunlaw.com, "Georgia Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor." They DO honor a FL permit.
Reading further, at Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety I found that this applies only to "A non-resident of Georgia", so things are a bit muddier.

While you may have to wait a bit to apply for a GA permit, you should be legal if you are not yet a "resident of Georgia". I think I need an aspirin, and you need a lawyer.

#7 ·
Contact the GA agency that issues permits and ask them. I know if you were moving from GA to FL, your GA permit would be good for 90 days after establishing residency. GA may do the same.

#9 ·
Okay I have the same question.

I currently reside in Ohio but my other half reside's in Michigan... I am moving there in a month or so, once I have a new driver's license I will then need to re-take my CCW course and get a MI permit???

#14 ·
Florida issues licenses to both residents and non-residents... so just file a change of address with Florida's issuing agency, and your license will remain valid.

Whether GA will honor the FL license is separate issue. GA may (or may not) insist that, as a GA resident, you possess a GA license in order to carry there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.