Permit coverage issues moving to another state

This is a discussion on Permit coverage issues moving to another state within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a FL resident that's probably moving to Georgia in a few months. I can't tell if I'm missing something or not - after I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Permit coverage issues moving to another state

Permit coverage issues moving to another state

I'm a FL resident that's probably moving to Georgia in a few months. I can't tell if I'm missing something or not - after I move to Georgia and get my Georgia driver's license, I can only then apply for my GWL. At such time, my FL resident permit is not longer (?) valid since I'm not longer a resident, and I then have 30/60/90 days while my old permit doesn't cover my new one, and my new one isn't issued yet.

Other than continuing to use my FL resident permit in Georgia, which I assume is a grey area, or getting a FL non-res permit, will I be without "coverage", or did I miss something?

2. Remove Ads

Once you have changed to a georgia address the FL CC licence becomes junk. Just have to deal with it for a few months.

It all depends on how fast your county processes license requests. I live in Gwinnett County, and it only took two weeks to receive my license.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    It all depends on how fast your county processes license requests. I live in Gwinnett County, and it only took two weeks to receive my license.
    It'll either be DeKalb or Fulton, so it won't be quick from what I read... And I can't go to another county to apply, right? Maybe it'll be worth applying for a FL non-res since they come pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    It'll either be DeKalb or Fulton, so it won't be quick from what I read... And I can't go to another county to apply, right? Maybe it'll be worth applying for a FL non-res since they come pretty fast.
    You are correct, you cannot apply in a different county than your residency. If you can get a FL non-res license quicker, it may well be worth your peace-of-mind to apply for the FL non-res as soon as you get your GA DL, and a permanent GA address.

Are you buying home, or renting apartment? The reason I ask is you sound like you are going to work in Atlanta. Housing costs go up the closer you get to downtown Atlanta.

- Anon

You have some serious confusion and misunderstanding going on here.

Florida issues only a single type of permit, and it doesn't matter too much if you move into or out of florida. (They want you to keep your address on file with them up to date, but that's fairly easy.)
    There is no non-resident license, only a license issued to a non-resident. Moving out of state does NOT make your permit invalid.

The real issue is whether Georgia will honor your FL permit if you are not a FL resident.
    As I read the information on Handgunlaw.com, "Georgia Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor." They DO honor a FL permit.
    Reading further, at Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety I found that this applies only to "A non-resident of Georgia", so things are a bit muddier.

While you may have to wait a bit to apply for a GA permit, you should be legal if you are not yet a "resident of Georgia". I think I need an aspirin, and you need a lawyer.
    dukalmighty likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Contact the GA agency that issues permits and ask them. I know if you were moving from GA to FL, your GA permit would be good for 90 days after establishing residency. GA may do the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You are correct, you cannot apply in a different county than your residency. If you can get a FL non-res license quicker, it may well be worth your peace-of-mind to apply for the FL non-res as soon as you get your GA DL, and a permanent GA address.

Are you buying home, or renting apartment? The reason I ask is you sound like you are going to work in Atlanta. Housing costs go up the closer you get to downtown Atlanta.
    I'm not sure where I'll be working yet and haven't decided on buying or renting, but I've read about the issues with OC in the city. I don't plan on OCing much, if ever. Never have since in FL it's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by spensergig View Post
    You have some serious confusion and misunderstanding going on here.

Florida issues only a single type of permit, and it doesn't matter too much if you move into or out of florida. (They want you to keep your address on file with them up to date, but that's fairly easy.)
    There is no non-resident license, only a license issued to a non-resident. Moving out of state does NOT make your permit invalid.

The real issue is whether Georgia will honor your FL permit if you are not a FL resident.
    As I read the information on Handgunlaw.com, "Georgia Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor." They DO honor a FL permit.
    Reading further, at Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity | Georgia Department of Public Safety I found that this applies only to "A non-resident of Georgia", so things are a bit muddier.

While you may have to wait a bit to apply for a GA permit, you should be legal if you are not yet a "resident of Georgia". I think I need an aspirin, and you need a lawyer.
    Now that you mention it, generally states don't allow residents to have out of state permits, so it wouldn't work. I guess I'm going going to be SOL for a while because I can't use my FL permit in any capacity, and in Atlanta area counties they well exceed the legal caps on issuing time.

Okay I have the same question.

I currently reside in Ohio but my other half reside's in Michigan... I am moving there in a month or so, once I have a new driver's license I will then need to re-take my CCW course and get a MI permit???
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    If you going to DeKalb it will take about 3-4 months. I live in Clayton and took 55 Business days. I work in DeKalb and there is a wait period. I don't know about Fulton. But in GA you can open carry in your car..on the seat, in the glove compartment, etc. NO conceal without CCL. Call DeKalb County and Fulton on the phone to see whats the wait period for the license.

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    If you going to DeKalb it will take about 3-4 months. I live in Clayton and took 55 Business days. I work in DeKalb and there is a wait period. I don't know about Fulton. But in GA you can open carry in your car..on the seat, in the glove compartment, etc. NO conceal without CCL. Call DeKalb County and Fulton on the phone to see whats the wait period for the license.
    Gonna be a long wait I guess! Like DandLfam asked, will I need to take a course too? :(

- Anon

Much thanks!

Florida issues licenses to both residents and non-residents... so just file a change of address with Florida's issuing agency, and your license will remain valid.

Whether GA will honor the FL license is separate issue. GA may (or may not) insist that, as a GA resident, you possess a GA license in order to carry there.

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    But in GA you can open carry in your car..on the seat, in the glove compartment, etc. NO conceal without CCL. Call DeKalb County and Fulton on the phone to see whats the wait period for the license.
    DubH00 is correct that you can carry in your car in GA without GWCL, but there is no distinction between open or concealed in your car. It is considered an extension of your home and OPEN or CONCEALED is fine within your car. There is also no requirement that it be unloaded, locked in separate compartment, etc. You can carry in vehicle with magazine in & 1 in the pipe. GA does NOT require you to notify LEO of firearm.

16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement (a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license. (b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner. (c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded. (d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135. No Permit License Is needed to carry the firearm inside your Motor Vehicle either openly or concealed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links