Moving to CT

Moving to CT

This is a discussion on Moving to CT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some advice, I know there are some very knowledgeable folks here and I hope to get some solid advice. I live in Arkansas ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Moving to CT

Moving to CT

I need some advice, I know there are some very knowledgeable folks here and I hope to get some solid advice.
    I live in Arkansas I currently have CCW and I carry always, I was offered a job in CT which I decided to take, I will be moving in February. My issues are what options I have with my gun. Can I take it with me until I get my CT permit? Or would I better be off leaving it here in Arkansas with a family member? I hate the thought of leaving my guns behind, but I also don’t want to break the law.
    I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

VIP Member
    Call DPS in CT at 860-685-8441 and have a non resident permit packet send to you right away. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Here you go check this out.
    despp: Connecticut State Pistol Permit

Welcome to the CCDL
    Also check out the CCDL in CT as they have a lot of information on their website when it comes to permits. Free to join and looking out for your rights.

Former (and future) CT resident here. It sounds bad, but it really isn't THAT bad... I'm just lucky to have wound up in Arizona.

Unless you already have an address in CT, you can apply for a non-resident permit in accordance with the instructions here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

If you elect to wait until you move, be aware that CT has a tiered approach to pistol permits. You first apply for a permit in your town of residence, and once you get that, you apply for a state permit which is almost automatically issued after a normal processing period. Get your CT driver's license first, just to save a little hassle at your local PD when you get fingerprinted and apply.

You also need to know that at least two towns - New Britain and New London - claim 'supremacy' over state law and do not permit carriage of handguns, period. Further, although state law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry, open carry is an invitation to be hassled by the gendarmes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Please accept my deepest condolences. But...you have to do what you have to do. Stay safe - contact DPS and play by their rules.
    nontechguy likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

It's going to get worse, but good luck. Use above advice, the CCDL is our best shot (and I had to miss our meeting tonight). The widespread hysteria in our elected idiots knows no bounds.
    That said, welcome. What area of the state? I'm central, there's a few others around here.
    ccman likes this.

CT isn't really a gun friendly state. There are no Sheriff's Departments up there so you go to the State Police for your permit and to get printed. the troopers there aren't that friendly to carry holders and and at best will treat you like a human. My friend went to get his permit and they made him wait despite being the first in line when they opened and then treated him rudely after that.

There is no Castle Doctrine inside your home. As for pistols you can't even own one in that state until you get your carry permit. If you have any real AR's you can't bring them either unless you pin the stock and take off the flash hider and bayonet lug. If you have an AK you will have to get rid of it as they aren't allowed there. So far you can still have standard capacity magazines. Unless you have a hunting license or carry permit you have to wait 2 weeks before you can pick up your long arm.

Between the lack of public land and high cost of living and high taxes I left in 98 and will never move back there. They just raised taxes again last year and are talking about doing it again. I was from the only red county in the state and now they just went blue last election on the state level because of the cities. If you could I would look for a job in another state if at all possible. CT isn't a free state but not as bad as some other occupied states. If you slid off because of snow or ice and you are driving safely they will at least ticket you for failure to maintain lane.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You also need to know that at least two towns - New Britain and New London - claim 'supremacy' over state law and do not permit carriage of handguns, period. Further, although state law does not differentiate between open and concealed carry, open carry is an invitation to be hassled by the gendarmes.
    - Both those towns rescinded their ban on concealed carry.
    gasmitty, Hopyard and ccman like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    You are in for a big surprise when you register you car (s) in Ct., just make sure you have a large checking account balance. The last time I registered a car there it was about $90 for the registration for each car and 6.5% sales tax on the book value of each of my cars.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    You are in for a big surprise when you register you car (s) in Ct., just make sure you have a large checking account balance. The last time I registered a car there it was about $90 for the registration for each car and 6.5% sales tax on the book value of each of my cars.
    Don't forget that the towns charge property tax on the vehicles to.

Don't ever move to CT.

Check.
    nontechguy likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I should also mention (my friend complains about this a lot he's still stuck there) is they only have a 2 week gun season for deer and you can't hunt on Sundays.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Though Connecticut law states “May Issue” Connecticut operates more like a “Shall Issue” State if you meet all the requirements. Connecticut also is “Shall Issue” for Non Residents if you meet the qualifications.
    In light of recent events, I wish you luck in getting ANY form of CWP in Conn.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I'll be moving to Miliford and working in New Haven. Thanks everyone for all your comments.

Good luck and congrats on a new job. Can't be any worse than where I reside...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links