Texas HB 47 - Page 7

Texas HB 47

This is a discussion on Texas HB 47 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 9MMare What other populations within the state would you compare them to? Besides criminals? How is it segmented? Lets start with all ...

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Texas HB 47

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    What other populations within the state would you compare them to? Besides criminals? How is it segmented?
    Lets start with all the rest of the people without CHL's. CHL holder crime rate vs. Non CHL holder crime rate.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I hope you meant to say "something I'm not willing to have when refering to a stronger federal gov.

Sucks to have the mind work faster than the fingers.
    Happens to me a lot LOL......
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Thanks for the info...I was confused since you replied to a post in which I was referrring to my son getting a liscense...guess I need more coffee. Don't know why it would interest me but thanks again.
    Because you seem to want to remove all restrictions, this would be another restriction placed against people with out of state permits which currently doesn't exist.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lets start with all the rest of the people without CHL's. CHL holder crime rate vs. Non CHL holder crime rate.
    SInce I am replying to you I hope this is not contrued as thread hijacking. But How on earth does the fact one takes a CHL class (which is what I thought we were talking about) makes you a better citizen? In NH you have permit holders who do not have to have a class and they still have a lower crime rate vs the rest of the population.

That is because you are comparing a group of people who is a subset of the population and by definition have at least not already committed a felony compared to a broad group of people. I can probably get a stat that Nuns of Norwegian descent in TX are less likely to commit crime than a CHL holder........stats are what you want them to be,

But the reason the percentage is low for CHL holders is not because of a class.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Because you seem to want to remove all restrictions, this would be another restriction placed against people with out of state permits which currently doesn't exist.
    OK, I got it LOL...Just kind of funny you posted this in a reply where I said I was trying to stay on topic after I re read the OP and you go off on something off topic LOL.....all in good fun.

I am out of this thread...good luck with your classe....BTW, my nephew is in Afghanistan right now. He is a 13F. Just saw that in your bio

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just went through my second renewal. I'm with you. Here's what i'd like to see. 1) The initial course a full 15 hours; not 10-15.
    Do it right. Make sure folks get it. 2) First renewal, 4-5 plus range test. 3) Second and future renewals, no range test and
    4 hours class BECAUSE, over a 5 year time period the legislature will have changed the laws at least 2 times and if someone
    doesn't actively follow them, or doesn't really read the CHL manual they swore they read, they won't know the changes.

Alternatively, go to constitutional carry and forget all of this stuff.

What I'm saying is either do it right or don't do it. A 4 hr class for newcomers would be a sham of a sham and a big shame.
    I'm still trying to understand the difference in training requirements between carrying an AR-15 openly on my shoulder or concealed in my car ( ie no training required), as compared to stepping out of my car at the gas pump with a handgun concealed on my hip (mega onerous licensing and training required). It seems to me that the full 15 hours is just as much of a sham as the 4 hours.

Yes, that includes discussion about the amount of time required for training. NOT, whether training should or should not be mandated.

If HB 47 proposed to remove all training requirements then we could discuss what you want to discuss. But that isn't the case and isn't the topic of this thread. If you want to discuss removing requirements all together, you might want to start your own thread, in the 2A section of the forum.
    This is a public forum Farronwolf. You and other posters have made your opinions public that you oppose reducing the mandatory training required for Texans to exercise their 2A rights. You guys have your opinion. I have mine. We are discussing.

What is the conviction rate for NH CCW holders vs the rest of the population?

For 2011 Texas CHL holders had 120 convictions, or .1884%, less than 2 tenths of a percent of the convictions in the state.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What is the conviction rate for NH CCW holders vs the rest of the population?

For 2011 Texas CHL holders had 120 convictions, or .1884%, less than 2 tenths of a percent of the convictions in the state.
    OK...what does taking a CHL class have to do with this or are we off topic. Are you saying that a 4 hour class would increase the percentage so since we have to have a class keep it at 10? Sorry..I am honestly confused which subject we are dealing with.

No, we are off topic now.
    suntzu likes this.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

OK. Can you link me to the source for that? I'm sure you've seen it. I'd like to know if and how it distinguishes accidents in the home according to CHL and non-CHL.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

We will be required to teach all the same material for first time students, but will have 4-6 hours less to teach it. I don't think the material can be covered adequately if you are simply spitting it out there for them with no time for any discussion.
    This was my immediate thought as soon as I read the first paragraph. The class will be as bad as taking defensive driving by Trooper Bob, no offense to our fine TX Troopers. Some of the most valuable info I got in my newbie class was the class discussion and instructor advice.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Making the Texas CHL classes 15 hours can only make for better trained CHL people. I am all for it since some people have very experience with any kind of weapons so they may need a little more time in class. There are people that were raised with guns and could probably give a class on their own but my concern is that if you never even fired a gun 10 hours may not be enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by tony1990 View Post
    Making the Texas CHL classes 15 hours can only make for better trained CHL people. I am all for it since some people have very experience with any kind of weapons so they may need a little more time in class. There are people that were raised with guns and could probably give a class on their own but my concern is that if you never even fired a gun 10 hours may not be enough time.
    How much is 'enough time?'
    suntzu likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links