Texas HB 47

This is a discussion on Texas HB 47 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It appears that there will be a bill introduced this legislative session in Texas, HB 47, which will change the required time for CHL instruction ...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Texas HB 47

Texas HB 47

It appears that there will be a bill introduced this legislative session in Texas, HB 47, which will change the required time for CHL instruction from a minimum of 10 hrs, maximum 15 hrs for first time, to a maximum of 4 hours of instruction required for both first time and renewals and then the range time.

Folks in the know think this has a good chance of passing. It has the NRA support as well. The thought is to bring Texas requirements more in line with some of the other states time requirements.

83(R) HB 47 - Introduced version - Bill Text

I am not so sure I agree with this proposed legislation. We will be required to teach all the same material for first time students, but will have 4-6 hours less to teach it. I don't think the material can be covered adequately if you are simply spitting it out there for them with no time for any discussion.

The instructor/student would have the option of offering longer sessions, but the student would not have to stay. The material would have to put out there, the test given, and then if they want to leave they can. If they wanted to stay for additional classroom time, it would be up to them and the instructor to do more time.

So, for those who have endured the 10+ hrs of a Texas CHL course, what are your thoughts on a speed class that simply highlights the minimum stuff to pass the test and then send you on your way?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Out instuctor was very good. Material in the class was covered well, he was very good as far as firearm handling(got a couple ladies in the class to close their groups with a couple nice pointers), and he kept it interesting. Personally, the 10 hours went by pretty quick, I think 4 hours is not enough to get the proper info out.
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

At first I was dreading the ten hour course. Once the class got going I started to thoroughly enjoy myself and then the time seemed to fly by. The ten hour format is great. My instructors were very friendly and helpful in answer my many questions and concerns. With a four hour max class, the time restraint would greatly affect the students questions(where I learned a lot of very good information) and the instructors would then be forced to speed read through the main laws and nothing more. They need to stick with the ten hour format. I personally feel they need to make it twice as hard. I might as well have been shooting at the side of a big red barn during the proficiency test. And the only time I got slightly confused on the test was due to a double negative in how they worded a true or false question. So I have no clue why they would even come up with this legislation when it needs to be a more rigorous class. But that's just my 2 cents.
    68blackbird, TVJ and RichB70 like this.

I when I lived there I didn't think the class was too bad but it had to be split up over two days. What they need to fix is lower the price. $140 is excessive and then you have to add a class to it and at the time I lived there they started off at around $80. They should also change some of the prohibited areas such as sports events and the disqualifications. I had a friend lose his for fives years because he got an obstruction of roadway a Class B misdemeanor. You shouldn't lose your right to self defense because of something like that.

I guess one could look at it in a different light. If a person takes or has to take a 10 hour or for that matter a 30 hour class and does nothing further concerning training/range time how much does it matter if the required hours is lowered. Don't get me wrong I understand your concern.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

4 hours isnt enough.

Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    4 hours isnt enough.
    Some States require none,if you want to be pro 2A there is no requirement to even bear arms.
    IMHO I think first time license applications should take the 10 hours since there is a lot of Laws covered and hypothetical situations for what would you do IF,Renewals should be 4 hours to refresh and cover any changes in the laws if you haven't kept up,Tx only has you Range qualify every other license renewal
    TVJ, Toorop and RichB70 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

4 hours isn't long enough but I think 10 hours in kind of long, 8 hours is a good length.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwill72 View Post
    4 hours isn't long enough but I think 10 hours in kind of long, 8 hours is a good length.
    If you add the range time to the 8 hrs, you are pretty much at 10 hrs. Now the requirement is 10 hrs minimum including range time.

And yes, sometimes it makes for a long day. Last Sat. I got to the class at 6:30 a.m., class started at 7 a.m. I left the class at about 8 p.m., got a bite to eat, went back packed up all my stuff and got home about 9:30 or 10 p.m.

The students were all there until at least 7:30 p.m. with the last leaving right at 8. However, not one of them put any comments on the course evaluation sheet about the class being too long for the amount of material that was covered. Again from the sound of it, this bill has a good chance of passing. I will just have to condense everything to give just the basic information in a 4 hour classroom time. There won't be any time for discussion, or much outside of the required material.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It's always amazing to me to come onto this pro gun rights forum and see so many posters advocate for more onerous government regulation. I shouldn't need 10 hours of mandatory training to understand a whole gaggle of dangerously complex laws before I can get permission from the government to exercise one of my most fundamental rights.

TVJ
    Understanding the correct and legal use of force/lethal force is critical for all citizens wishing to carry and use a sidearm for protection.

Ten hours is a minimum to review the laws and understand their applications.

There is nothing wrong with this requirement. It helps us all and keeps us all on the legal/tactical same page.

If you test out at four hours and pass, you can go. Otherwise you stay for the rest and retake the test. This is my fwiw compromise.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    It's always amazing to me to come onto this pro gun rights forum and see so many posters advocate for more onerous government regulation. I shouldn't need 10 hours of mandatory training to understand a whole gaggle of dangerously complex laws before I can get permission from the government to exercise one of my most fundamental rights.
    How many hours does it take to understand that gaggle of dangerously complex laws? Or do you advocate that people not understand the laws at all, and simply issue a permit to anyone who isn't prohibited and then deal with it as it hits the fan? Just because the required time may be limited, the gaggle of complex laws still stay the same. That isn't going to change.

Based on the currently extremely low percentage of CHL holders who get into trouble in Texas, vs the rest of the population, I would say that something is being done right.
    ws76133 likes this.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Some States require none,if you want to be pro 2A there is no requirement to even bear arms.
    IMHO I think first time license applications should take the 10 hours since there is a lot of Laws covered and hypothetical situations for what would you do IF,Renewals should be 4 hours to refresh and cover any changes in the laws if you haven't kept up,Tx only has you Range qualify every other license renewal
    4 hours is physically not enough time to cover all the information that needs to be passed on to a first time carrier. 10 hours is barely enough time. There are variables that may play a role, such as class size, individual states legalese, etc.

I do not want to be pro anything other than taking care of my family. I do not carry a weapon to further a cause or stand up for your 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
    The regulation concerns concealed carry. Is open carry illegal in your state?

Arguing about the legality or Constitutionality of a states requirement for citizens to obtain permits to conceal carry is a separate topic.

Texas HB 47

I enjoyed my TX CHL class, but we had a lot of down-time. I believe the material covered is vital, but I would have enjoyed more of it in less than 10 hrs.

Let me ask you this: 4 hrs is not enough, okay. Is 10 hrs too much? I am curious what the instructors think.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links