Does a CCW Permit Make You More Likely To Avoid A Fight

This is a discussion on Does a CCW Permit Make You More Likely To Avoid A Fight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My CCW class made me think more and react differently to potentially violent encounters. Not that I am faced with this sort of thing often ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a CCW Permit Make You More Likely To Avoid A Fight

Does a CCW Permit Make You More Likely To Avoid A Fight

My CCW class made me think more and react differently to potentially violent encounters. Not that I am faced with this sort of thing often but just day to day sort of things like pissed off drivers and such. What about all of you?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    It does for me. I am a lot more aware and often avoid being places that I now know could spell trouble. Convenience stores and such I check out a lot closer before going in than before. On the road, I ignore the people that blow up because I am going too fast, too slow or don\'t like something else I may be doing. I used to scream and cuss at them and point to the shoulder of the road. Now I just pretty much ignore them.

What Bumper said..

\"An armed society is a polite society....\" Steven

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

more likely?

No. I only got a CWP recently, but probably 25 or 30 years ago I decided traffic altercations, etc., were not work risking my life. Since that satori, I have always been aware of the possibility that any stranger could be an armed sociopath.

This is a common theme, that the armed citizen is more polite and is more aware of the potential for an altercation to turn lethal. Maybe some do renounce a rowdy life-style when they carry. I suspect that many others are like me---the last time I punched someone (he did not punch back), was around 1963 when I was 15. The next-to-last time I fought was probably around 1959.

One can get in as much trouble without a firearm as with. A bar-room fight, for example. One drunken fool punches another drunken fool who falls and strikes his head on a metal chair leg and dies. Criminal charges ensue.

I have always stayed out of this type of bar to avoid placing myself in a likely fight scene (plus I don\'t like cigarette smoke or lots of noise).

Not really becuse i always stayed away from that kind of stuff in the first place i might be a little more aways but not much ..

Originally posted by Bumper
    It does for me. I am a lot more aware and often avoid being places that I now know could spell trouble. Convenience stores and such I check out a lot closer before going in than before. On the road, I ignore the people that blow up because I am going too fast, too slow or don\'t like something else I may be doing. I used to scream and cuss at them and point to the shoulder of the road. Now I just pretty much ignore them.
    Amen:exclaim:

VIP Member
    I do get the opposite from people sometimes. \"Oh well since you carry a gun you aren\'t afraid to go to bad places, because you can just shoot your way out.\" Obviously they don\'t get it and I try to explain it.

What I tell people is that I am always careful whether or not I\'m carrying a gun. I don\'t want to be a victim and I don\'t want to shoot someone. However, if it comes down to it, I will use a gun to defend me and mine.

Kids and guns have had a sobering effect on my already very sober lifestyle.

Pretty much what bumper said applies to me - I try to avoid the everyday stresses that most people go thru. That meant quitting a job in NY\'s financial district 9 yrs ago for 1/2 salary in Westchester (never regretted it).

Legal gun owners are forced to be cognizant of the law - and many are more aware of those laws that relate to use of force, duty to retreat, castle doctrine, etc.

NYC Drew

:kay:

Yes, but as I have done my best to avoid places where crap happens, fights are not part of my life.

those who carry do have a higher degree of responsiblity. You must be able to walk away from insults, etc.

Bravo3
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Hoist me up on the bandwagon, I agree with Bump as well

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I don\'t think it changed my attitude much. Of course I am pretty laid back about most things, and learned early that almost nothing good ever comes from physical confrontations, unless of course you are fighting for your life.

Pretty laid back here, never been one to sweat the small stuff. I guess I got it out of my system when I was young and dumb :) I just try to stay aware of my surroundings

Administrator

DITTO BUMPER

Also...In Pennsylvania if you are LTC for personal protection & some jerk \"flips you the bird\" & you flip him/her \"the bird\" back...start cussing & then BIGGER trouble follows....
    you are legally considered to have \"escalated\" the situation. It is a serious personal responsibility to carry a firearm. Avoidance is the watchword of the day unless you are shopping around for an expensive & totally life disrupting legal nightmare.

[quote]Originally posted by lt8tmgya This is a common theme, that the armed citizen is more polite and is more aware of the potential for an altercation to turn lethal. Maybe some do renounce a rowdy life-style when they carry.

While I am pretty mellow and laid back, I agree that an armed citizen is more likely to be polite and avoid areas and encounters that may turn violent. We are the only ones that know that a gun may come into play so most of us do everything in our power to stay out of trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links