Worth the trouble?

This is a discussion on Worth the trouble? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so my wife, our daughter & I will be flying from Dayton OH to Tampa FL this spring for about 5 days to see ...

Thread: Worth the trouble?

Worth the trouble?

Ok, so my wife, our daughter & I will be flying from Dayton OH to Tampa FL this spring for about 5 days to see my mom & her family. I know I CAN take my gun with me & carry in FL as long as I get ammo there. My question is this:

Just what hoops do I have to jump through, how risky is it, & is it worth it? Anyone here done it before?

I'd really like to have my firearm, since I got my CHL in December I've made it a point to always be armed, just not sure if its really feasible.

Thanks!

Josh

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No problem at all, but I did not know that you could not bring in ammo. I did without a problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Is it worth it to you to be able to defend yourself, your wife, and your daughter from the evil that we all know is out there looking for opportunity?
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    You can transport ammunition on the airplane. Just make sure you comply with TSA and airline regulations. As to whether you want to carry or not. Only you can decide that. If it were me I'd have my gun with me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd suggest bringing ammo iaw TSA and airline reccommendations. It may be difficult to locate there. Tampa can be a bit on the rough side.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, considering nobody seems to imply it's a huge hassle to go through, & I definitley want to be armed, it looks like it's a go

Anyone have an idea what the cost is?

You can bring ammo, but be careful what you bring. I remember a few years ago, someone had hollow point ammo and the plane had to make an emergency landing in New Jersey, apparently you are not allowed hollow point in Jersey and it caused some problems. Double check for yourself to be sure, I heard this second hand.
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Be sure to follow all TSA regulations. If you have questions, call the airline, they can give you the TSA requirements as well as their own. Allow extra time to check in at the airport as well.

Going from Ohio to Florida, it is highly unlikely you would be diverted to New Jersey, or New York, but then you never know, Bloomberg might hijack your flight to NYC just so he can get your weapon.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No additional cost, just the cost of a checked bag. Depends on the airline.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Ok this one made me laugh.

Not planning on going anywhere near the NE. Ever. Unless the wife finally gets her way someday to see downtown NY. But not if I can help it lol

Traveling via the airlines with a firearm is very easy.
    Ammo just has to be in the original box or a plastic ammo box will also work.
    Print a copy of the TSA rules and if you think the agent is not doing something correctly, ask for a supervisor.

I would certainly want a firearm in the Tampa area.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The ammo must be kept in a separate box and unloaded from the firearm. The factory box is sufficient. The firearm must be unloaded and in a lockable case. When you arrive, inform the check in attendant that you need to declare a firearm. A security official will be called, he will ask you to open the locked box so he can see the firearm. He will place a tag on the case to certify that it was checked and you lock it again. Then it goes inside your checked bag. In the case of a long gun, the same rules apply but it is handled as a separate bag.

This has been my experience in florida., flying to west Virginia or Tennessee. One time I was taken to a separate room for the check in order to avoid people looking on and having a panic. One time they just took a quick peek and that was it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Keep in mind that most theme parks in Florida do not allow guns (Disney, Busch Gardens, etc.). They will ask you to leave. Otherwise, have a great time down here.

Jeff

Here's the source on checking firearms. The individual airlines may have rules that are more strict, however.

Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

In addition to TSA security rules on transporting firearms, airlines, as well as state, local and international governments have additional rules that may vary by location. Please check with your airline and with states and cities you will be traveling into and out of to become familiar with their requirements and ensure you are compliant with their laws.
    Last edited by livewire; January 10th, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added quote
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

This is the website of a professional lock picker and hacker I met at the Defcon conference a couple of years ago. He's a gun enthusiast and travels all over the world to promote lock picking as a hobby/sport. Tons of great info on his site about traveling with guns and even some recordings of talks he's given on the subject. (The guy is a hoot)

Net Nanny Warning: Do not watch the presentations if you are sensitive to profanity or public alcohol consumption.

deviating.net

Links