Concealed Carry Classes for Teachers

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Classes for Teachers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was checking out a local gun range's web site and they had an increase of concealed carry classes offered. I also noticed that they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Classes for Teachers

Concealed Carry Classes for Teachers

I was checking out a local gun range's web site and they had an increase of concealed carry classes offered. I also noticed that they had a teachers only concealed carry class. I like the idea of people getting there cc license but it will do no good for the teachers while at school, they can't have weapons! Anyone else seen these classes popping up near them?

2. Remove Ads

Says who they can't? In CA CCW are exempt and can carry on campus. Not sure about other states. I always assumed it was because they figured no one here has a permit to carry. Our police officer on campus, who is here 3-4 days a week is getting a "rifle" in a locker on campus as a new precaution. A step in the right direction, but I think the school needs to change the 0 tolerance rules OMVHO.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I think the number of people who are taking CHL classes is going to increase, but I haven't noticed teachers being the ones looking to get their permits, since here it is still forbidden to carry on the premisis. I don't know any of the local school districts that are going to make exceptions for the teachers.

My only concern with teachers carrying on campus is retention. I was talking to one of the school district police officers, and he agreed that if it was to be permited for teachers to carry on premisis, that they be required to take additional training in retention techniques. His suggestion was the police academy section of instruction. I have not problems with that. Having one of the kids get a teachers gun and go on a rampage would be disasterous in terms of tragedy as well as for the cause.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You hit on my biggest concern Farronwolf. The tough part is kids knowing that a teacher may, or may not be armed. Personally, I think concealed only, would be the best, especially as it is a personal decision and one that is not mandated. In some areas that may not be ideal, or just tough to deal with. Different age groups come with different concerns. Great point.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I do not object to arming teachers in most cases, I'd be far more in favor of armed security trained to a much higher level of tactics than a first grade teacher with a concealed license.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Why should a teacher have to stand by and watch the children he/she is trusted with be slaughtered by a madman? IF more teachers start carrying there wouldn't be these shootings to begin with. The GFSZA was the starting point to begin with "to protect folks" when in reality it made the students and staff "sitting ducks" ready for the nuts to murder

I totally agree but until firearms are allowed in the schools there is still a chance for shootings to happen. I know that having a firearm doesn't mean that it can't happen but if a few teachers were armed when a gunman came into a school he would be in trouble.

I totally agree -instead of pushing for 'more gun laws' the very first thing WE ALL should be doing is demanding they repeal the GFSZA, it's stupid proved to fail and endangers our children and faculty and staff for no good reason (IMO)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Some states do allow CC at schools. OR does, but WA doesnt'. Know the rules of your state. I think teachers carrying is the only solution that will work. Armed guards or police are cost prohibitive. I think they would be worth it, but good luck getting the taxes for it, and think of the outrage when we are paying for a cop to sit there on overtime, while we can't get new books or paper.

And even with cops, there would have to be enough to cover the entire campus. These things could still happen. The deterent of the unknown, which teachers, which classrooms would be defended, and then the psychos might think twice.
    Aceoky and MrsHB like this.
    Walk softly ...

West Virginia still prohibits fiearms on school grounds and buildings. Even if teachers do possess a valid carry permit, they still by law are unable to have their guns at school.

Not sure if that will change. We have a new Atty General Patrick Morrisey and according to his bio

"Second Amendment

Morrisey is a gun-owner and advocate of protecting West Virginia's Second Amendment rights from federal overreach."
    He might just have to propose some legislation to change the law.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Myk
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I totally agree -instead of pushing for 'more gun laws' the very first thing WE ALL should be doing is demanding they repeal the GFSZA, it's stupid proved to fail and endangers our children and faculty and staff for no good reason (IMO)
    The federal gun free school zone law actually only prohibits the "illegal" possesion of a firearm on school property, which means according to the federal law, it is legal to carry if you are licensed to do so. The federal law is in place, not to stop criminals from carrying guns on school property, but to make it a FEDERAL crime to do so. That allows for stricter sentencing of those who breach that law. The individual states decide if CCW holders are restricted on school grounds.
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

I think in KY it requires the approval of the school administration. And a CCDW license, of course!

That is my understanding as well.

Very true, however many criminals seem to think no one is allowed to be armed and thus they pick defenseless students etc. By repealing the law (that clearly has failed) we can eliminate that much and I believe that would be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    The federal gun free school zone law actually only prohibits the "illegal" possesion of a firearm on school property, which means according to the federal law, it is legal to carry if you are licensed to do so. The federal law is in place, not to stop criminals from carrying guns on school property, but to make it a FEDERAL crime to do so. That allows for stricter sentencing of those who breach that law. The individual states decide if CCW holders are restricted on school grounds.

You hit the Nail on the Head. The Nut Cases shooting students are always Losers with no Guts. If they had a Pair they would go start a fight at a Police Station.

The Losers always strike in GUN FREE ZONES. Go Figure. The Gun Free Zones are really working Fine, about as well as No Swats, Time Outs, etc. When I was going to school if I got a spanking, you prayed the school would not call your parents. Having the Fear of God put in you is not a bad thing. No Prayers in Schools, No Pledge Allegiance to the Flag. No Respect for anyone or any thing.

I live in a rural area. We have 11 School Buildings spread out over our County minimum, I could be low by a couple. All added up we have 30 some odd City and County Officers. No way could we put an LE in every building.

Some schools have been checking into special School Concealed Carry classes. I think this is a very good idea. Not everyone needs to carry. But I am sure a few at most schools would be willing to take on the responsibility of carrying concealed. All it takes is a few to protect our kids.

Once the Nut Cases figured out that we now have Sheep Dogs among the Sheep they will not be hitting schools.

Another thing that would be a big help is not making them famous. The news needs to play down the event, and never mention the shooters name. The Nut Case, or Sick Individual is all the name recognition they need.

Just my 2 cents

Bob
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links