NC concealed carry medical bill?

This is a discussion on NC concealed carry medical bill? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received my CCW late last year and was required to pay $10 per Hospital for release/transfer of medical records to the sheriff's office. It ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NC concealed carry medical bill?

I received my CCW late last year and was required to pay $10 per Hospital for release/transfer of medical records to the sheriff's office. It may be a screening charge or it could be a records release charge.

But it's feasible. I would follow NC Bullseye's advice and verify it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oh Lordy! Not another reason to avoid NC! What a ripoff. I am so glad I moved away from that state and haven't considered moving back.
    I'd originally looked for a home in Charlotte, and ended up going South to Columbia, SC, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I've heard about this thing happening here. For some reason I have a real strong recollection that part of the fee that you pay is supposed to cover the costs of these checks, which makes me think it is double dipping. Yet another reason why I am opposed to farce that passes for medical care in this country.

I got my permit last year in Chatham County. It states on the application "UNC Hospital contracts with another agancy to run the mental health report on each CCW application. This agency will be sending you a bill. The bill comes directly from teh contracting agency and not the Chatham County Sheriff's Office".

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I've heard about this thing happening here. For some reason I have a real strong recollection that part of the fee that you pay is supposed to cover the costs of these checks, which makes me think it is double dipping. Yet another reason why I am opposed to farce that passes for medical care in this country.
    The fee you are charged by the sheriff is for both state and county administration of the CHP program, not to cover what the medical records services charge to provide your med histories. Not all counties are being impacted by these charges since they are at the mercy of the local medical facilities decisions to charge or not and if they do, how much for this service. Of the $80 total for your first CHP (not counting the $10 for fingerprints) $35 goes to the county for their administrative costs and $45 goes to the state for their part.

One of the forms most applicants for CHP fill out is an agreement to release all medical histories and to be financially responsible for any additional charges that may be incurred as a result of the medical services billing for records.

It's not double dipping.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Got my CCL in Forsyth County...have not been billed for anything (yet!!)..but I can see where this is going........

Charges for every check...background, mental, health records, etc...etc...etc.......Can even see a 30 day waiting period for all checks to be completed and during those 30 days you would be required to pay for and submit a psychology evaluation form from a state approved psychologist stating your in good mental health. Where is it all going to end ?????
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    We have 6 family members in NC that CC and none of us have been billed for anything pertaining to medical . 90 dollars ap fee to the county sheriff and thats it.

Everyone's a little bit off home plate, it just depends on where the line is drawn. Sort of like the discussion about how many rounds in a magazine is too many, or how scary a rifle has to look before it can be banned. Takes more than some depression or anger to declare someone unfit. Probably need to be some history that your medication was to reduce your violent tendencies, or you had a history of terroristic threats, had attempted suicide, or were involuntarily committed ( hint: if the police take you to a mental hospital for evaluation you cant sign yourself out the way you can if YOU decide you need some help).

Prescription history alone probably wouldnt hold up either. Doctors have been prescribing valium for stress/anxiety for so long that most folks dont know its a powerful muscle relaxant used to treat severe muscle spasms, epilepsy, etc. Many drugs are prescribed outside of the original approval of the drug, its getting more common all the time.

KY doesnt do medical check, I doubt the feds do either since there was no medical consent to purchase any of my guns or during the application for the ccdw permit. Just a question asking me if I had ever been declared a mental etc. etc. Well ,no, not in truth, but if I WAS on the fringe I doubt I would see it that way.

Wow, I'm just glad I live in a gun friendly state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One of the forms most applicants for CHP fill out is an agreement to release all medical histories and to be financially responsible for any additional charges that may be incurred as a result of the medical services billing for records.

It's not double dipping.
    This still doesn't make it right. What I can see happening is that anti and RINO sheriff's like Barnes could use this as an under the radar means to impose excessive taxation on people who desire a permit by submitting record checks to many institutions who agree to charge exorbitant fees. Lets just throw one more piece of dry wood on the fire that is already starting to smolder in this nation and state

VIP Member
    They sent me to the local mental health facility to have my application certified
    that I had never been a patient there.

They did it for free; but, I had to pay $5 for them to open the door and let me out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links