Defensive Carry banner

NC concealed carry medical bill?

7K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  nn 
#1 ·
New user first post. I'll introduce myself in a minute.

I received my ccp in NC about a year ago after finally settling down at an address. However today I received a bill in the mail from Chase collections saying that I owe Healthport (apparently a company that obtains medical records) money. I never received a bill from Healthport directly. I called chase and they said they would send me an itemized list of charges. Its only for like 20 dollars but has anyone else been charged for this? I googled and couldn't find anyone claiming to be charged this. I know I signed a medical release when I applied. Pender county, North Carolina. I'm not a big fan of people contacting me by mail saying I own them money...

-Thanks

#3 ·
Oh Lordy! Not another reason to avoid NC! What a ripoff. I am so glad I moved away from that state and haven't considered moving back.

#17 ·
I'd originally looked for a home in Charlotte, and ended up going South to Columbia, SC, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.

#5 ·
I'd call the SO and verify that is who they use for their health background checks, and then verify that they received the report on you from them. If they answer yes to both, pay it and be on with life.

The way the mail runs lately it's amazing how much stuff goes MIA. Since you authorized them to do the search you are liable for the charge and if they get nasty they can do all the things a collection agency does to make your life miserable.

#6 ·
I'm here to tell you that if the SO requested info from the medics, in this day and age they are going to take any and every opportunity to claim they are recovering "costs." Expect more in the future.

#10 ·
I'm in Johnston County. I paid my CCW Application fee to the SO and that was the end of it. No separate letters to health agencies, nothing. Sounds like every county has their own additional "rules" to make a few extra bucks.

#12 ·
Have never even heard of this .... wow, I feel for ya'all.

#14 ·
I have said for years mental health will be part of the process when buying new toys. It is going to happen now since we want to blame everything and everyone for our actions. I think part of that will include your meds. I feel for those folks who take antidepressants now or in the past for their headaches. That is why I would not let the doc give me any for my migraines. It won't matter if you are taking them now or in the past. It is in a centralized database and will always be there.

#15 ·
I think the mental health check will be expanded even more. They might even make it a law that says you cant have a gun if you are mentally unstable...umm wait...or a felon...umm wait on that one to...it is going to get really stupid from this point forward but dont worry...The liberals are in charge...

#16 ·
I received my CCW late last year and was required to pay $10 per Hospital for release/transfer of medical records to the sheriff's office. It may be a screening charge or it could be a records release charge.

But it's feasible. I would follow NC Bullseye's advice and verify it.

#18 ·
I've heard about this thing happening here. For some reason I have a real strong recollection that part of the fee that you pay is supposed to cover the costs of these checks, which makes me think it is double dipping. Yet another reason why I am opposed to farce that passes for medical care in this country.

#20 ·
The fee you are charged by the sheriff is for both state and county administration of the CHP program, not to cover what the medical records services charge to provide your med histories. Not all counties are being impacted by these charges since they are at the mercy of the local medical facilities decisions to charge or not and if they do, how much for this service. Of the $80 total for your first CHP (not counting the $10 for fingerprints) $35 goes to the county for their administrative costs and $45 goes to the state for their part.

One of the forms most applicants for CHP fill out is an agreement to release all medical histories and to be financially responsible for any additional charges that may be incurred as a result of the medical services billing for records.

It's not double dipping.

#19 ·
I got my permit last year in Chatham County. It states on the application "UNC Hospital contracts with another agancy to run the mental health report on each CCW application. This agency will be sending you a bill. The bill comes directly from teh contracting agency and not the Chatham County Sheriff's Office".

#21 ·
Got my CCL in Forsyth County...have not been billed for anything (yet!!)..but I can see where this is going........

Charges for every check...background, mental, health records, etc...etc...etc.......Can even see a 30 day waiting period for all checks to be completed and during those 30 days you would be required to pay for and submit a psychology evaluation form from a state approved psychologist stating your in good mental health. Where is it all going to end ?????

#23 ·
Everyone's a little bit off home plate, it just depends on where the line is drawn. Sort of like the discussion about how many rounds in a magazine is too many, or how scary a rifle has to look before it can be banned. Takes more than some depression or anger to declare someone unfit. Probably need to be some history that your medication was to reduce your violent tendencies, or you had a history of terroristic threats, had attempted suicide, or were involuntarily committed ( hint: if the police take you to a mental hospital for evaluation you cant sign yourself out the way you can if YOU decide you need some help).

Prescription history alone probably wouldnt hold up either. Doctors have been prescribing valium for stress/anxiety for so long that most folks dont know its a powerful muscle relaxant used to treat severe muscle spasms, epilepsy, etc. Many drugs are prescribed outside of the original approval of the drug, its getting more common all the time.

KY doesnt do medical check, I doubt the feds do either since there was no medical consent to purchase any of my guns or during the application for the ccdw permit. Just a question asking me if I had ever been declared a mental etc. etc. Well ,no, not in truth, but if I WAS on the fringe I doubt I would see it that way.

#24 ·
Wow, I'm just glad I live in a gun friendly state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.