NC concealed carry medical bill?

This is a discussion on NC concealed carry medical bill? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New user first post. I'll introduce myself in a minute. I received my ccp in NC about a year ago after finally settling down at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC concealed carry medical bill?

New Member Array boarderofsnow86's Avatar

New user first post. I'll introduce myself in a minute.

I received my ccp in NC about a year ago after finally settling down at an address. However today I received a bill in the mail from Chase collections saying that I owe Healthport (apparently a company that obtains medical records) money. I never received a bill from Healthport directly. I called chase and they said they would send me an itemized list of charges. Its only for like 20 dollars but has anyone else been charged for this? I googled and couldn't find anyone claiming to be charged this. I know I signed a medical release when I applied. Pender county, North Carolina. I'm not a big fan of people contacting me by mail saying I own them money...

-Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I am pretty sure those are the folks that conduct your mental health screening and is part of the CCW registration process and yes, it is a seperate charge.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh Lordy! Not another reason to avoid NC! What a ripoff. I am so glad I moved away from that state and haven't considered moving back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    In Wayne County I have never received any type of bill for medical evaluation services, I would ask the Sheriff sounds like a fraud to me.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'd call the SO and verify that is who they use for their health background checks, and then verify that they received the report on you from them. If they answer yes to both, pay it and be on with life.

The way the mail runs lately it's amazing how much stuff goes MIA. Since you authorized them to do the search you are liable for the charge and if they get nasty they can do all the things a collection agency does to make your life miserable.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I'm here to tell you that if the SO requested info from the medics, in this day and age they are going to take any and every opportunity to claim they are recovering "costs." Expect more in the future.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Oops.

In my county, Moore, they require you to go by and pay for your mental health screening fee directly to Day Mark, then bring them the receipt when you apply for your CCP.

My SO gave me 3 different letters to send to the various health agencies in our area (Buncombe co)when i applied. Of the 3 I had to send a check to one of them for $15 to cover the record verification.

I'm in Johnston County. I paid my CCW Application fee to the SO and that was the end of it. No separate letters to health agencies, nothing. Sounds like every county has their own additional "rules" to make a few extra bucks.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Got my permit 3 years ago in Cabarrus County. I didn't have to bring medical form and I never received a bill for one to be completed either. Good advice to call SO before blindly paying or ignoring.

Have never even heard of this .... wow, I feel for ya'all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I just applied for my second renewal in Wake County. I have never had to pay for medical fees associated with the background check. We'll see if anything pops up this time.

I have said for years mental health will be part of the process when buying new toys. It is going to happen now since we want to blame everything and everyone for our actions. I think part of that will include your meds. I feel for those folks who take antidepressants now or in the past for their headaches. That is why I would not let the doc give me any for my migraines. It won't matter if you are taking them now or in the past. It is in a centralized database and will always be there.
    At one with the gun.

I think the mental health check will be expanded even more. They might even make it a law that says you cant have a gun if you are mentally unstable...umm wait...or a felon...umm wait on that one to...it is going to get really stupid from this point forward but dont worry...The liberals are in charge...
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links